RE: [wpmac] Small anomaly with Tiger Finder

  • Gilbert, Geoffrey S
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
      John

      This is actually a major headache that you may not see because you use the desktop. It happens in folders, too. What you notice there, however, is that the final version of a paper may be the WP_xx file, not the named file. I now quit WP, check the folder and if the WP_xx file is above the named file (I date order in folders, but the WP_xx file and the real file sometimes have the same date/time stamp), then having checked by reopening WP, I have to rename the WP_xx file to the true file which is then deleted. It was worse in Panther.

      Geoff

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2005
        This has happened to me also, using both Mac OS X
        Jaguar 10.2.8 and currently Panther 10.3.9. When I use
        the "command-s" keys to save the current document, my
        changes are NOT saved to the current file. Instead,
        they are saved in the same directory as the current
        file but with a file name WP_xxnnnnnnnn, where each
        "n" is a number. I lost a lot of writing before I
        caught on to this.

        WORKAROUND: I now avoid this problem by manually
        saving the current document using the keys for "Save
        As" (cmd-shift-s). Each time I do this, I increment a
        number at the end of the file name; i.e., "Client
        Letter 12", then "Client Letter 13", and so on. After
        I quit from WordPerfect, I delete all versions of the
        file except for the one with the largest number. This
        is not the most convenient procedure, but I haven't
        lost any data since I've started to use it.

        SOLUTION (?): Initially, WordPerfect's "saving"
        functionality works properly. However, at some unknown
        point, the problem appears. I have inadvertently
        "fixed" the problem twice now by erasing my hard disk
        and installing a fresh version of Mac OS X, Classic,
        WordPerfect 3.5e and updates, etc.

        ------------------

        I have not been able to determine exactly what causes
        this WordPerfect "saving" problem to start. Most
        recently, it MAY have begun when I replaced Adobe's
        ATM Light v4.6.2 with ATM Light v4.5.2, or enabled
        Apple's GXGraphics extention. These and other changes
        were part of my efforts to run SoftPress' Freeway
        v2.0.3 to run under Classic; some time later I noticed
        the WordPerfect problem had reappeared.

        I will be installing Mac OS X Tiger in the next few
        weeks, either using the "Archive & Install" option or
        erasing the entire hard disk and installing everything
        again from scratch. This time, I'll try to better
        record what I do between the time WordPerfect saves
        properly and the time this anomaly reappears. I'll
        post anything I learn.

        Burt Reich
        Xenotech
        Portland, Oregon

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Burton Reich <burtreich@y...>
          wrote:

          > SOLUTION (?): Initially, WordPerfect's "saving"
          > functionality works properly. However, at some unknown
          > point, the problem appears.

          I have WP's timed backups set for 15 minutes, and am
          watching to see if the problem tends to start 15 minutes
          after I open a file.

          > I will be installing Mac OS X Tiger in the next few
          > weeks … I'll post anything I learn.

          Thanks for your good post; I'll look forward to an update.