Re: Printing Classic in OS X

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
      <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:

      > A search of past messages suggests members of the group
      > are unaware of two effective ways of printing from WP and
      > other Classic apps in OS X. The first is described in Apple
      > Support Site Article ID 300849

      I've added the URL to that to the Links section here. Thanks.

      > Another method is described in
      > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html;
      > it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
      > involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript.

      Just a couple of scripts, a new folder, and Adobe's free PS
      driver. Ed, could I package that up for you?

      John R.
    • GAmoore@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
        > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
        > effective ways
        > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...

        I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
        after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
        software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
        you refer to?

      • Bill Bossart
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
          I’m not sure what is different about my setup but I’ve had no problem
          printing WP docs under OS X. Just printed one a moment ago. The only
          thing that probably makes the difference is my hp Laserjet 1200 which
          never worked with OS X (although it was advertised to work) until I
          bought a $200 ethernet bridge. Since then I’ve never had a problem
          printing (still doesn’t scan however).
          On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:19 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall
          > C. Wilson"
          > <rwilson@i...> wrote:
          >

          >> that link appears to be broken
          >>

          > Email wrapped it. It's in the Links section here, as "WP and OSX".
          >
          > John R.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Bill Bossart
          whbossart@...
        • eagledavid2
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
            > > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
            > > effective ways
            > > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...
            > >
            > I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
            > after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
            > software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
            > you refer to?

            I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just following the normal print
            procedure. After selecting my printer in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get
            the message "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select the printer
            again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
          • GAmoore@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
              I am using a 8 year old Apple 4/600 laserwriter which is an Appletalk
              printer, then connected via an Asante converter to ethnernet. I have used that
              printer with a G4 tower, G5 dual, and G3 ibook, and other macs before. Its
              surprising that WP/classic work fine. Lets hope that continues after the Mactell
              conversion later when they kill off classic.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:

                > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?

                There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                pages, that may help.

                When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.

                I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.
              • eagledavid2
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
                  > <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                  > > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                  > > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                  > > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                  > > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
                  >
                  > There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                  > in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                  > pages, that may help.
                  >
                  > When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                  > automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                  > OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.
                  >
                  > I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                  > print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.

                  Many thanks - the Apple link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/
                  mh660.html) provides the perfect solution for printing Classic apps such as WP, in Tiger at
                  least - simply choose Laserwriter 8 in the Chooser and follow the regular print command.
                  What could be simpler?!