Re: [wpmac] Printing Classic in OS X

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
      >A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware
      >of two effective ways of printing from WP and other Classic apps in
      >OS X. The first is described in Apple Support Site Article ID
      >300849; it is easy to install but is somewhat inconvenient to use,
      >as printing involves a sequence of steps. Another method is
      >described in
      ><http://www.columbia.edu/>http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html
      >; it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
      >involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript. But I
      >did it, and I'm no techie, so don't let this deter you!

      I was able to correct the 'broken' link

      the correct link is: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

      Michael

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
        <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:

        > A search of past messages suggests members of the group
        > are unaware of two effective ways of printing from WP and
        > other Classic apps in OS X. The first is described in Apple
        > Support Site Article ID 300849

        I've added the URL to that to the Links section here. Thanks.

        > Another method is described in
        > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html;
        > it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
        > involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript.

        Just a couple of scripts, a new folder, and Adobe's free PS
        driver. Ed, could I package that up for you?

        John R.
      • GAmoore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
          > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
          > effective ways
          > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...

          I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
          after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
          software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
          you refer to?

        • Bill Bossart
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
            I’m not sure what is different about my setup but I’ve had no problem
            printing WP docs under OS X. Just printed one a moment ago. The only
            thing that probably makes the difference is my hp Laserjet 1200 which
            never worked with OS X (although it was advertised to work) until I
            bought a $200 ethernet bridge. Since then I’ve never had a problem
            printing (still doesn’t scan however).
            On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:19 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall
            > C. Wilson"
            > <rwilson@i...> wrote:
            >

            >> that link appears to be broken
            >>

            > Email wrapped it. It's in the Links section here, as "WP and OSX".
            >
            > John R.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Bill Bossart
            whbossart@...
          • eagledavid2
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
              > > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
              > > effective ways
              > > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...
              > >
              > I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
              > after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
              > software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
              > you refer to?

              I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just following the normal print
              procedure. After selecting my printer in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get
              the message "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select the printer
              again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
            • GAmoore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                I am using a 8 year old Apple 4/600 laserwriter which is an Appletalk
                printer, then connected via an Asante converter to ethnernet. I have used that
                printer with a G4 tower, G5 dual, and G3 ibook, and other macs before. Its
                surprising that WP/classic work fine. Lets hope that continues after the Mactell
                conversion later when they kill off classic.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                  <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:

                  > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                  > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                  > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                  > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                  > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?

                  There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                  in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                  pages, that may help.

                  When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                  automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                  OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.

                  I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                  print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.
                • eagledavid2
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
                    > <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                    > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                    > > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                    > > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                    > > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                    > > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
                    >
                    > There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                    > in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                    > pages, that may help.
                    >
                    > When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                    > automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                    > OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.
                    >
                    > I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                    > print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.

                    Many thanks - the Apple link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/
                    mh660.html) provides the perfect solution for printing Classic apps such as WP, in Tiger at
                    least - simply choose Laserwriter 8 in the Chooser and follow the regular print command.
                    What could be simpler?!