Printing Classic in OS X

  • eagledavid2
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
      A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two effective ways
      of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. The first is described in Apple Support
      Site Article ID 300849; it is easy to install but is somewhat inconvenient to use, as printing
      involves a sequence of steps. Another method is described in http://www.columbia.edu/
      ~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html; it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
      involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript. But I did it, and I'm no techie, so
      don't let this deter you!

      Good luck.
    • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
        that link appears to be broken

        >A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware
        >of two effective ways
        >of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. The first is
        >described in Apple Support
        >Site Article ID 300849; it is easy to install but is somewhat
        >inconvenient to use, as printing
        >involves a sequence of steps. Another method is described in
        ><http://www.columbia.edu/>http://www.columbia.edu/
        >~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html; it is very easy to use, but a bit
        >complicated to install as it
        >involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript. But I
        >did it, and I'm no techie, so
        >don't let this deter you!
        >
        >Good luck.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
        Legal Director
        Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Ph: (515) 243 4032
        Fax: (515) 243 8506

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall
          C. Wilson"
          <rwilson@i...> wrote:

          > that link appears to be broken

          Email wrapped it. It's in the Links section here, as "WP and OSX".

          John R.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
            >A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware
            >of two effective ways of printing from WP and other Classic apps in
            >OS X. The first is described in Apple Support Site Article ID
            >300849; it is easy to install but is somewhat inconvenient to use,
            >as printing involves a sequence of steps. Another method is
            >described in
            ><http://www.columbia.edu/>http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html
            >; it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
            >involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript. But I
            >did it, and I'm no techie, so don't let this deter you!

            I was able to correct the 'broken' link

            the correct link is: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

            Michael

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
              <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:

              > A search of past messages suggests members of the group
              > are unaware of two effective ways of printing from WP and
              > other Classic apps in OS X. The first is described in Apple
              > Support Site Article ID 300849

              I've added the URL to that to the Links section here. Thanks.

              > Another method is described in
              > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html;
              > it is very easy to use, but a bit complicated to install as it
              > involves a lengthy sequence of steps including Applescript.

              Just a couple of scripts, a new folder, and Adobe's free PS
              driver. Ed, could I package that up for you?

              John R.
            • GAmoore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
                > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
                > effective ways
                > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...

                I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
                after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
                software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
                you refer to?

              • Bill Bossart
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
                  I’m not sure what is different about my setup but I’ve had no problem
                  printing WP docs under OS X. Just printed one a moment ago. The only
                  thing that probably makes the difference is my hp Laserjet 1200 which
                  never worked with OS X (although it was advertised to work) until I
                  bought a $200 ethernet bridge. Since then I’ve never had a problem
                  printing (still doesn’t scan however).
                  On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:19 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall
                  > C. Wilson"
                  > <rwilson@i...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> that link appears to be broken
                  >>

                  > Email wrapped it. It's in the Links section here, as "WP and OSX".
                  >
                  > John R.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Bill Bossart
                  whbossart@...
                • eagledavid2
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2005
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                    > > A search of past messages suggests members of the group are unaware of two
                    > > effective ways
                    > > of printing from WP and other Classic apps in OS X. ...
                    > >
                    > I just printed from WP in TIger without doing anything special, and this
                    > after a complete harddissk reformat and clean install of Tiger. If only all my
                    > software problems worked out so easily. What are the advantages of the methods
                    > you refer to?

                    I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just following the normal print
                    procedure. After selecting my printer in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get
                    the message "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select the printer
                    again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
                  • GAmoore@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                      I am using a 8 year old Apple 4/600 laserwriter which is an Appletalk
                      printer, then connected via an Asante converter to ethnernet. I have used that
                      printer with a G4 tower, G5 dual, and G3 ibook, and other macs before. Its
                      surprising that WP/classic work fine. Lets hope that continues after the Mactell
                      conversion later when they kill off classic.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                        <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:

                        > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                        > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                        > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                        > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                        > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?

                        There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                        in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                        pages, that may help.

                        When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                        automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                        OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.

                        I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                        print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.
                      • eagledavid2
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 11, 2005
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid2"
                          > <eagledavid2@m...> wrote:
                          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                          >
                          > > I'm surprised. I cannot print WP or any other Classic app by just
                          > > following the normal print procedure. After selecting my printer
                          > > in the Chooser, and giving the Print command, I get the message
                          > > "Error Numbr D308. Printer not found. Go to Chooser and select
                          > > the printer again". Can anyone else throw light on this?
                          >
                          > There are three URLs in the Links section here: Classic Applications
                          > in Tiger, Classic Environment in OSX, and Classic in OSX, all Apple
                          > pages, that may help.
                          >
                          > When I installed the driver for my Epson (using Panther), it was
                          > automatic for OSX but I had to dig into the package to find the
                          > OS 9 driver, and put that in the System/Extensions folder manually.
                          >
                          > I think that Tiger improves printing support for Classic, letting you
                          > print from a Classic app with an OSX driver.

                          Many thanks - the Apple link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/
                          mh660.html) provides the perfect solution for printing Classic apps such as WP, in Tiger at
                          least - simply choose Laserwriter 8 in the Chooser and follow the regular print command.
                          What could be simpler?!