Re: [wpmac] pages

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
      On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:34 PM, GAmoore@... wrote:

      > What are your opinions regarding Pages?

      There was an extensive discussion on usenet's comp.sys.mac.apps about
      Pages earlier this year. See http://tinyurl.com/c3qj8

      The thread mentions WP several times in a complimentary manner.

      > but in the past I have had some very occasional problems with
      > huge documents getting document errors,

      There are fixes. You can use the search feature of the Archive Index
      (in the Files section here) to look at Mac News/WP book/mailing list
      discussion).

      > and graphic import is a little clumsy
      > in WP - which is pretty nice in Pages (e.g. live resizing of color
      > graphics
      > rather than WP's graphic option window).

      I haven't used Pages (although the demo disk is sitting here,
      awaiting install), but you can resize and crop graphics in WP without
      going into the Graphics module. In the document, click the graphic to
      select it and drag a handle to resize; command-drag the graphic
      within the selected frame to move the visible portion around, and
      command-drag a handle to crop.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
        Regarding importing jpegs, however, does WP still have to rely on the
        INSO converter. I have not imported a jpeg into WP for years because
        I'd get a hang during the import process.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
          wrote:

          > Regarding importing jpegs, however, does WP still have to rely on
          > the INSO converter. I have not imported a jpeg into WP for years
          > because I'd get a hang during the import process.

          Import works OK for me, but I don't do much of it. Do other formats
          work better for you? A graphics utility could convert a jpeg to gif
          which could then be imported. An Applescript could automate that.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
            John

            While jpegs won't import at all, the first gif in a document will.
            Subsequent gifs will not, however. The gif was only 92k

            geoff

          • GAmoore@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
              In a message dated 6/10/05 10:25:29 AM, jrethorst@... writes:

              > A graphics utility could convert a jpeg to gif
              > which could then be imported. An Applescript could automate that.

              GIFs are low quality in most cases (like photos or gradients) but ok for
              things with a small number of colors. The way to go for nice printing is TIF
              format.

            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
                GAmoore@... said:

                >What are your opinions regarding Pages?
                >
                >It seems to be a lightweight clone of Word with a little more Quarkish
                >features...

                You must not have played with Pages yet. You should check it out at an
                Apple Store or at CompUSA if you are near one.

                Pages seems to me to be sort of like a low-end page layout program with a
                bunch of word-processing features added on. It reminds me a lot of
                PublishIt Easy!, if you remember that program, but its page layout
                capabilities aren't as advanced.

                It is nothing at all like Word (or WordPerfect), or Quark. And for those
                folks who use and rely on the advanced features of either or both, Pages
                can't take their place.

                However Pages is a dynamite program for those folks who find it powerful
                enough for their needs.

                Randy B. Singer

                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html