pages

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
      What are your opinions regarding Pages?

      It seems to be a lightweight clone of Word with a little more Quarkish
      features - but missing some of the important things that WP still has. There is one
      thing I have found very annoying about Pages which WP does great.. character
      borders. I want to put a filled black frame with white text for chapter
      headings. Word does it, but won't go all the way across the page... just as wide as
      the text and nothing more. Pages does it all the way across, but strangely
      makes the vertical alignment skewed, and also puts the auto chapter number a few
      points higher than the text for the chapter title. Maybe I'll just have to use
      WP for this... but in the past I have had some very occasional problems with
      huge documents getting document errors, and graphic import is a little clumsy
      in WP - which is pretty nice in Pages (e.g. live resizing of color graphics
      rather than WP's graphic option window).

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
        On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:34 PM, GAmoore@... wrote:

        > What are your opinions regarding Pages?

        There was an extensive discussion on usenet's comp.sys.mac.apps about
        Pages earlier this year. See http://tinyurl.com/c3qj8

        The thread mentions WP several times in a complimentary manner.

        > but in the past I have had some very occasional problems with
        > huge documents getting document errors,

        There are fixes. You can use the search feature of the Archive Index
        (in the Files section here) to look at Mac News/WP book/mailing list
        discussion).

        > and graphic import is a little clumsy
        > in WP - which is pretty nice in Pages (e.g. live resizing of color
        > graphics
        > rather than WP's graphic option window).

        I haven't used Pages (although the demo disk is sitting here,
        awaiting install), but you can resize and crop graphics in WP without
        going into the Graphics module. In the document, click the graphic to
        select it and drag a handle to resize; command-drag the graphic
        within the selected frame to move the visible portion around, and
        command-drag a handle to crop.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2005
          Regarding importing jpegs, however, does WP still have to rely on the
          INSO converter. I have not imported a jpeg into WP for years because
          I'd get a hang during the import process.

          Geoff

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
            wrote:

            > Regarding importing jpegs, however, does WP still have to rely on
            > the INSO converter. I have not imported a jpeg into WP for years
            > because I'd get a hang during the import process.

            Import works OK for me, but I don't do much of it. Do other formats
            work better for you? A graphics utility could convert a jpeg to gif
            which could then be imported. An Applescript could automate that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
              John

              While jpegs won't import at all, the first gif in a document will.
              Subsequent gifs will not, however. The gif was only 92k

              geoff

            • GAmoore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
                In a message dated 6/10/05 10:25:29 AM, jrethorst@... writes:

                > A graphics utility could convert a jpeg to gif
                > which could then be imported. An Applescript could automate that.

                GIFs are low quality in most cases (like photos or gradients) but ok for
                things with a small number of colors. The way to go for nice printing is TIF
                format.

              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
                  GAmoore@... said:

                  >What are your opinions regarding Pages?
                  >
                  >It seems to be a lightweight clone of Word with a little more Quarkish
                  >features...

                  You must not have played with Pages yet. You should check it out at an
                  Apple Store or at CompUSA if you are near one.

                  Pages seems to me to be sort of like a low-end page layout program with a
                  bunch of word-processing features added on. It reminds me a lot of
                  PublishIt Easy!, if you remember that program, but its page layout
                  capabilities aren't as advanced.

                  It is nothing at all like Word (or WordPerfect), or Quark. And for those
                  folks who use and rely on the advanced features of either or both, Pages
                  can't take their place.

                  However Pages is a dynamite program for those folks who find it powerful
                  enough for their needs.

                  Randy B. Singer

                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html