Classic and Intel

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
        This all very strange ... Apple is basically destroying its own
        hardware division by the looks of things. Once there's an intel
        version, OSX will just become another PC operating system, won't it?
        Why will people need an Apple computer? What other computer
        manufacturer with a bespoke OS would transport the OS to the
        ubiquitous intel chip? Oh yes, NeXT.

        Or am I missing something obvious?

        Geoff

        >Apple's transition to Intel chips could leave Classic behind. See:
        >

        >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1825046,00.asp
        >
        >http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5734410.html
        >
        >http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=360
        >

        >John R.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Paul Brandon
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:

          > This all very strange ... Apple is basically
          > destroying its own
          > hardware division by the looks of things. Once
          > there's an intel
          > version, OSX will just become another PC operating
          > system, won't it?
          > Why will people need an Apple computer? What other
          > computer
          > manufacturer with a bespoke OS would transport the
          > OS to the
          > ubiquitous intel chip? Oh yes, NeXT.
          >
          > Or am I missing something obvious?
          >
          > Geoff

          There's more to a computer than the microprocessor.
          Otherwise Apple would not have been able to stop the
          Mac-compatibles from being manufactured.
          Mac's will still contain copyrighted firmware.
          This can of course be pirated, but not manufactured
          for sale in enough quantity to be a problem.
          In fact, the OS could probably be coded to check for
          pirated firmware and abort the boot process.
          One of the things that makes the Mac OS so elegant is
          Apple's control over the hardware; I don't think that
          they'd abandon this.

          Paul Brandon
          Mankato, MN
          pkbrando@...

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
        • rkevinhill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Brandon <pkbrando@y...>
            wrote:
            > One of the things that makes the Mac OS so elegant is
            > Apple's control over the hardware; I don't think that
            > they'd abandon this.

            For us WPMAC addicts, this is all a mixed blessing. I continue to use
            WP3.5 not only to read files dating back to 1992, but to create new
            ones. I continue to avoid Microsoft Word like the plague, only using
            it to dump final drafts of things that have to be e-mailed as
            attachments. With this transition, it looks like the end: since WP
            never made the transition to OSX, and the new Intel machines will not
            support Classic, I and thousands of my files face extinction on the
            next machine I buy.

            But then it occurred to me that there is light at the end of the
            tunnel. I started out in the 80s as a WPDOS user before I switched
            to Mac. One possible benefit to the switch to Intel is that Virtual
            PC may actually run competitively for the first time, allowing me
            to go back to Wintel WordPerfect, which continues to be developed
            and supported, without giving up my Mac.

            Here's a question for you all out there: is there any native OSX
            program that will directly open WPMAC3.5 files? Right now, if I want
            to migrate a file to OSX, I open it in WP, resave it as RTF, and then
            reopen it in MarinerWrite. Is there a better way?
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
              AbiWord and Neo Office J read simple WP files. If you have footnotes,
              forget it.

              Geoff

            • GAmoore@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
                > One possible benefit to the switch to Intel is that Virtual
                > PC may actually run competitively for the first time,

                I don't think so. The problem with VPC is that its an operating system
                running on top of another operation system. it doesn't matter what chip is runs on -
                unless you could simply boot into windows. And if you want that, you can go
                and get Wintel box for $500 today and do that. We will see what happens by the
                time the MacTel computers come out. Apple already had to backslide and offer a
                9 bootable computer after they said they wouldn't. They may have to offer
                classic too. If not, then we still have a few more years after that by keeping an
                older mac that will run classic.

              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
                  "rkevinhill" <rkevinhill@...> wrote:

                  >I started out in the 80s as a WPDOS user before I switched
                  >to Mac. One possible benefit to the switch to Intel is that Virtual
                  >PC may actually run competitively for the first time, allowing me
                  >to go back to Wintel WordPerfect, which continues to be developed
                  >and supported, without giving up my Mac.

                  IMO, it all depends on why you use WP-Mac. If you use it primarily
                  because it's "WordPerfect," then WP-Win via VirtualPC could be a
                  soild option. If you use WP-Mac primarily because it is an elegant,
                  well-designed, functional, solid Mac application (thanks Kevin McCoy
                  and friends!), then WP-Win is likely not going to be a palatable
                  solution. WP-Win doesn't feel like WP-Mac and generally, I think,
                  like WP at all (though this is certainly a subjective call). Folks
                  who fall into the latter camp are more likely to be happy with
                  something like Mellel or one of the other Mac-only word processors :-)

                  Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:

                  >AbiWord and Neo Office J read simple WP files. If you have footnotes,
                  >forget it.

                  Indeed, if AbiWord or NeoOffice/J are your destination app, you're
                  much better off saving to WP6/7/8 first, since WP-Mac is very good at
                  this conversion and libwpd (the filter used by both Abi and Neo/J) is
                  excellent at the WP6 format.

                  (The roadmap, so to speak, does call for libwpd to completely support
                  the WP-Mac formats, but since the libwpd authors are also hackers on
                  other apps (AbiWord and OpenOffice.org primarily) and since they are
                  all Linux users, improving WP-Mac support (or WP5 support, for that
                  matter) are not at the first things they sit down to hack at :-)
                  That said, I continue to help out as best I can and prod gently when
                  appropriate, but since I can barely AppleScript my way out of a paper
                  sack, my real effectiveness is limited :-) If you are, or you know
                  of, a programmer looking for a worthwhile project, point him/her to
                  <http://libwpd.sf.net> :-))

                  Otherwise, exporting to .doc or .rtf (depending on how well the
                  destination app can import those formats) are your best bet....

                  Best,
                  Smokey
                  --
                  Smokey Ardisson
                  Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11, 2005
                    I agree and am now using Mellel which is excellent for my purposes
                    (manuscripts with different languages and with lots of
                    documentation). Will it run on Mactel? I think they will have to make
                    it run.

                    Bill Bossart
                    whbossart@...
                  • Jeff Abbott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...>
                      wrote:
                      > "rkevinhill" <rkevinhill@g...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >I started out in the 80s as a WPDOS user before I switched
                      > >to Mac. One possible benefit to the switch to Intel is that Virtual
                      > >PC may actually run competitively for the first time, allowing me
                      > >to go back to Wintel WordPerfect, which continues to be developed
                      > >and supported, without giving up my Mac.
                      >
                      > IMO, it all depends on why you use WP-Mac. If you use it primarily
                      > because it's "WordPerfect," then WP-Win via VirtualPC could be a
                      > soild option. If you use WP-Mac primarily because it is an elegant,
                      > well-designed, functional, solid Mac application (thanks Kevin McCoy
                      > and friends!), then WP-Win is likely not going to be a palatable
                      > solution. WP-Win doesn't feel like WP-Mac and generally, I think,

                      I'm curious if anyone on the group has run WP Win as their main
                      processor on their Mac via Virtual PC, and what their experience was.

                      Thanks
                      Jeff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 18, 2005
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Abbott" <jeff@j...>
                        wrote:

                        > > If you use WP-Mac primarily because it is an elegant,
                        > > well-designed, functional, solid Mac application (thanks
                        > > Kevin McCoy and friends!), then WP-Win is likely not
                        > > going to be a palatable solution. WP-Win doesn't feel
                        > > like WP-MacÂ…
                        >
                        > I'm curious if anyone on the group has run WP Win as their main
                        > processor on their Mac via Virtual PC, and what their experience
                        > was.

                        I haven't, but WPWin apparently works well via Virtual PC. With
                        the changeover to Intel chips, VPC will apparently run better
                        than now. WPWin is much different than WPMac though. When
                        OSX first came out, there were suggestions that Corel port
                        unix WP to OSX. Which could have been done and still can
                        be, but it would be nothing like WPMac.

                        My understanding is that for most of its lifetime, WPMac was
                        developed by a separate team from Windows. The Mac team
                        simply did elegance right.