How to break WPMAC password protection. (detailed instructions)

  • lionelag
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005
      I've confirmed that WP for Mac uses the same encryption scheme as WordPerfect 5.1.
      Here's how to break it (WARNING-- requires use of OSX command line and some basic
      idea of what you're doing. It could be made easier, but I don't have the time to do it. I
      take no responsibility for any damages that could be caused by this information. I'm a
      lawyer-- I haven't been a regular programmer in years, and while I've confirmed this works
      on my 10.3.9 system, YMMV.). (You must have the Developer Tools installed into OSX,
      since the program requires compilation. As I didn't write the cracker program, I don't feel
      comfortable distributing a mac binary distribution of it. If someone wants to write a script
      to simplify this, or contact the original author and get permission to distribute the binary,
      you'll be a very popular person, I suspect. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to use this
      program for other people. Find a friend with more command line experience than you do
      if it's a problem. I'll answer any questions I can in this forum.)

      Go to http://members.aol.com/jpeschel/recovery.htm and download "wpcrackb.zip."
      Unzip it. You should end up with four files -- WPCRACK.C is the one to pay attention to.
      Open this file up, and make the following changes (as the program was originally written
      for Microsoft C, not ANSI C):

      1. Starting at line 60 of WPCRACK.C, change
      " if ((max_char >= 32) && (max_char < 127))
      fputchar(max_char);
      else
      fputchar((int) '?');"

      to:

      "if ((max_char >= 32) && (max_char < 127))
      fputc(max_char,stdout);
      else
      fputc(63,stdout);"
      2. Save these changes. *Make sure to save the file into a lowercase name, ie, wppw.c*--
      IIRC, a capital C in the extension will screw up the gcc compiler, which will think the
      program was written in C++.*

      3. Compile the program with "gcc wppw.c" (in Terminal): You'll see these messages:
      gcc wpcrack.c
      wppw.c: In function `main':
      wppw.c:10: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'

      4. You should now have a file called "a.out" in the directory. Rename it with "mv a.out
      wpcrack".
      5. Find the file which is password protected. Copy it to where you can get at it.
      6. Make a new copy of the file using "cp" (this will zap the resource fork, which confuses
      every password descrambler I've found. KEEP THE ORIGINAL FILE.). ie:
      "cp protected protectedwithoutrsrc"
      7. Run the program-- it works like this: (you only need the ./ if you aren't in a searchable
      path)
      ./wpcrack protectedwithoutrsrc <ASCII code for what you think the most common
      character in the file is>

      eg:

      ./wpcrack protectedwithoutrsrc 32
      (32 is the ASCII code for space, if you didn't know)

      It will give you an output that looks something like this:
      Possible keys:
      "Q"
      "PM"
      "QQQ"
      "PASS"
      "?S??S"
      "RLRLRL"
      "?MMM?MM"
      "\C^JTKVB"
      "??W??J???"
      "VEV?VEV?VE"
      "?I?Y??III?I"
      "XGZFXGZFXGZF"
      "?????????????"
      "ZDZDZDZ?Z?ZdZd"
      "eEEeE?EE??EEEeE"
      "D[FRLSnZd[FB\C^Z"
      "??aA?????A?aa??a?"
      "@]?]`]`]`}?]@]`}@]"
      "AAAcAAA?aCAaAAAc?aA"
      "@_b~`_B~@_b^@_B^@_b^"
      "1^???^~?c??Cc?C~~CC??"
      "BYB??\b\B?b|B\B|B\B\B\"
      "}]?]}}]?]}}]?E?E?]}}?}e"
      "LsnZD[fRLcNZD[fRLcnZD{fb"

      One of these things should look like the password to the file (in the above example, it's
      "PASS"). Run WP, open the file with
      the password, and you're all set.

      Good luck,

      Lionel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "lionelag" <lionel@b...> wrote:

        > I've confirmed that WP for Mac uses the same encryption
        > scheme as WordPerfect 5.1. Here's how to break it

        Interesting. Let me test it.

        John R.
      • mightyyar
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
          Thank you so much! I have been trying to pry open a copy of my old journal that I can't
          remember the password from :(

          Unfortunately, this procedure doesn't seem to work with files from 3.1 - maybe the file
          format changed between 3.1 and 3.5 to such an extent that this won't work. I don't know
          the first thing about cryptography, but maybe I'll have a look at the code anyway... it's also
          possible that I've botched things up.