WP in a law office?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2005
      To the attorneys here:

      Rich's question yesterday about a letterhead macro
      reminded me that I read recently that many attorneys
      use WP, both Windows and Mac, because of security
      issues with MS Word.

      I'd be happy to work up a few things that would be
      especially useful in a law office. The "Document
      Experts" set in the Files section here has several
      letter templates and Pleading Paper macros. What
      else would you like to see?

      John R.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2005
        John Rethorst said:

        >Rich's question yesterday about a letterhead macro
        >reminded me that I read recently that many attorneys
        >use WP, both Windows and Mac, because of security
        >issues with MS Word.

        That issue has been severely overblown in the past. It's true that it is
        possible to have extraneous information (user information and deleted
        edits) left in a Word file, but that is easy to avoid if you know how.

        One needs to turn off "Fast Saves enabled" in Word's preferences.

        Go into File --> Properties and make sure that no information has been
        entered there.

        It is a good idea to do a final Save As on your document before sending
        it to anyone. This should flush any extraneous information in your file.

        For those who want to be extra cautious, you can always save your Word
        document as a PDF, and lock it.

        Randy B. Singer, Attorney at Law

        * Moderator of:
        The MacAttorney Computer User Group
        * Author of:
        The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office
        <http://tinyurl.com/6pyvt>
        * Webmaster of:
        The Law Office Software List for the Macintosh Computer
        <http://www.macattorney.com/>
      • Barney Christianson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2005
          John said:

          >I'd be happy to work up a few things that would be
          >especially useful in a law office... What
          >else would you like to see?
          >
          >John R.

          Somewhere, a long, long time ago (no, in this galaxy), I saw a macro
          that was supposed to do the following. If I remember the set-up
          accurately, I was to take all my boiler-plate clauses and save each
          clause as a separate document in a Library. I would (if I had done
          it) then have a Library for Leases, Separation Agreements, Wills, etc.

          I would start preparing (for example) a Farm Lease. At the right
          spot, I would run the macro. It was to open the Libray/Farm leases,
          display the names of the documents and allow me to select one. The
          macro would insert that selection, then put me back in charge. It
          would also make sure Outlining was running so the inserted paragraph
          and what followed it would be properly numbered.

          Before I could break the habit of "cut and paste", I lost the macro.

          Perhaps such a macro might be useful outside the lawyer business, if
          someone else compiles documents with frequent inclusions of
          boiler-plate. Speech-writers?

          Barney

          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson
            <bchristianson@c...>
            wrote:

            > Somewhere, a long, long time ago (no, in this galaxy), I saw a
            > macro that was supposed to do the following. If I remember the
            > set-up accurately, I was to take all my boiler-plate clauses
            > and save each clause as a separate document in a Library.
            > I would (if I had done it) then have a Library for Leases,
            > Separation Agreements, Wills, etc.
            >
            > I would start preparing (for example) a Farm Lease. At the right
            > spot, I would run the macro. It was to open the Libray/Farm leases,
            > display the names of the documents and allow me to select one. The
            > macro would insert that selection, then put me back in charge. It
            > would also make sure Outlining was running so the inserted
            > paragraph and what followed it would be properly numbered.

            What OS are you on? if 9, my UltraClip, in the Files section here,
            would be made-to-order. Not yet updated for OSX. Glossary 1.4.1
            is updated for X, but only supports short pieces of text. IIRC
            TypeIt4Me has a glossary feature.

            John R.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2005
              Barney Christianson said:

              >Somewhere, a long, long time ago (no, in this galaxy), I saw a macro
              >that was supposed to do the following. If I remember the set-up
              >accurately, I was to take all my boiler-plate clauses and save each
              >clause as a separate document in a Library. I would (if I had done
              >it) then have a Library for Leases, Separation Agreements, Wills, etc.

              Check out:

              EZNote X
              http://www.johnvholder.com/eznxdesc.html

              Which isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it is functionally the
              same.

              You can, for instance, go through every lease document on your computer
              (and/or on the Web), copy the relevant clauses instantly to EZNote X, and
              then in EZNote X you can designate all of these clauses as belonging to
              the "lease" category. Then when you want to create a new lease document
              at any time in the future, you only have to choose the clauses that you
              want to use from EZNote X and drop them into your document.

              Randy B. Singer

              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html