Macro help

  • RjC
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 1969
      We use a macro to run our letterhead. It works great. Because we have
      secretary's who work for multiple attorneys, the secretary's have separate
      macros for each attorney with the only difference between the macros the
      email line. I would like to update the macro so when it is run, it will
      stop at the email line and provide a list of attorney email addresses which
      the secretary would then pick from depending on which attorney she is doing
      the work for. Can this be done? If so, can someone explain or guide me on
      how to begin the update process?

      rich
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...> wrote:
        > We use a macro to run our letterhead. It works great. Because we have
        > secretary's who work for multiple attorneys, the secretary's have separate
        > macros for each attorney with the only difference between the macros the
        > email line. I would like to update the macro so when it is run, it will
        > stop at the email line and provide a list of attorney email addresses which
        > the secretary would then pick from depending on which attorney she is doing
        > the work for. Can this be done? If so, can someone explain or guide me on
        > how to begin the update process?

        Here's a sample. Replace the email line with this. The "Menu" line is all one line, i.e. the
        next line begins with "Case":

        Menu (Var01;"Choose email address:"
        {"alpha@...";"bravo@...";"charlie@..."})
        Case (Var01;{1;alpha;2;bravo;3;charlie};cancel)
        Label (cancel)
        Return
        ;
        Label (alpha)
        Type (alpha@...)
        Go (continue)
        ;
        Label (bravo)
        Type (bravo@...)
        Go (continue)
        ;
        Label (charlie)
        Type (charlie@...)
        Go (continue)
        ;
        Label (continue)
        ; continue your macro here

        Let me know any more questions.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2005
          The first line didn't quite copy correctly. It should read:

          Menu (Var01;"Choose email address:";
          {"alpha@...";"bravo@...";"charlie@..."})

          which should be all one line (wrapped perhaps, depending on
          how you size the window) in the macro editor.

          John R.
        • RjC
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2005
            John: appreciate your response and assistance.

            I entered the macro lines you provided as instructed, however, when I
            Run the macro I get an error message "Macro Terminated:command not valid
            here". Any thoughts?

            I've pasted the portion of the macro where I added your lines in case
            that helps. Thanks again for your expertise.

            Type (RICHARD J. S)
            Tab
            Font Size (9)
            Font Size (8)
            Menu (Var01;"Choose email
            address:";
            {"jgel@...";"scurt@...";"ds
            tauf@..."})
            Case (Var01;{1;JFG;2;SFCC;3;DAS};cancel)
            Label (cancel)
            Return
            ;
            Label (JFG)
            Type (jgel@...)
            Go (continue)
            ;
            Label (SFC)
            Type (scurt@...)
            Go (continue)
            ;
            Label (DAS)
            Type (dstauf@...)
            Go (continue)
            ;
            Tab
            Type (TELEFAX)
            Font Size (8)

            circa 5/9/2005 11:12 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...> wrote:

              > I entered the macro lines you provided as instructed,
              > however, when I Run the macro I get an error message
              > "Macro Terminated:command not valid here". Any
              > thoughts?

              When I run it, I don't get the Not Valid error (if you have
              a window open when run, do you get that error before
              the menu appears, or after you've made a choice from it?),
              but I get a Label Not Found error when I choose the second
              menu item. This is because in the Case line you have "SFCC"
              and the second Label is "SFC", while they must match exactly.

              Also note that this part of the code must conclude with a

              Label (continue)

              I've put the corrected macro in a file in the Temporary_Items
              folder at the top of the Files section here. Let us know how
              that runs.

              John
            • rjtc5
              Message 6 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                John: again thank you.

                I made the changes you referenced (ie. SFCC to SFC and ended
                that section of the macro w/ Label (continue)), and running the
                macro w/ a document open. Unfortunateley, I am still getting the
                "Macro Terminated: This command not valid here". I'm not
                entirely sure what to look for so it may be something simple.
                Apologies for the hand holding. rich

                Message 7 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                  On May 11, 2005, at 10:25 AM, rjtc5 wrote:

                  > I made the changes you referenced (ie. SFCC to SFC and ended
                  > that section of the macro w/ Label (continue)), and  running the
                  > macro w/ a document open.   Unfortunateley, I am still getting the
                  > "Macro Terminated: This command not valid here".

                  At the top of the macro, add this line:

                  Step (On)

                  Now when you run the macro, you'll see a new window at the bottom of
                  your screen with the line of macro code that's about to be executed.
                  Press any key to execute that line, and you'll see the next line appear
                  in the window. Continue stepping through it until you get the error.
                  What line produces it?

                  John R.
                • rjtc5
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                    Update: I copied the part of the macro we are working on into
                    another copy and it works to a point. The dialog box comes up
                    to "choose email address", but, once I make a selection the
                    macro hangs up or stops. It actually puts the email address into
                    the header, however, it does not continue w/ the rest of the
                    letterhead? Any thoughts? Thanks, rich

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rjtc5" <rjtc@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > John: again thank you.
                    >
                    > I made the changes you referenced (ie. SFCC to SFC and
                    ended
                    > that section of the macro w/ Label (continue)), and running the
                    > macro w/ a document open. Unfortunateley, I am still getting
                    the
                    > "Macro Terminated: This command not valid here". I'm not
                    > entirely sure what to look for so it may be something simple.
                    > Apologies for the hand holding. rich
                    >

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
                    > <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I entered the macro lines you provided as instructed,
                    > > > however, when I Run the macro I get an error message
                    > > > "Macro Terminated:command not valid here". Any
                    > > > thoughts?
                    > >
                    > > When I run it, I don't get the Not Valid error (if you have
                    > > a window open when run, do you get that error before
                    > > the menu appears, or after you've made a choice from it?),
                    > > but I get a Label Not Found error when I choose the second
                    > > menu item. This is because in the Case line you have
                    "SFCC"
                    > > and the second Label is "SFC", while they must match
                    exactly.

                    > > Also note that this part of the code must conclude with a
                    > >
                    > > Label (continue)
                    > >
                    > > I've put the corrected macro in a file in the Temporary_Items
                    > > folder at the top of the Files section here. Let us know how
                    > > that runs.
                    > >
                    > > John
                  • rjtc5
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                      john - added the "step (on)" line at the top of macro (that is a
                      pretty cool tool). Anyway, it hangs up at the line beginning with
                      "Menu (Var01; "choose email address .....". Any thoughts.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rjtc5" <rjtc@o...> wrote:
                        > john - added the "step (on)" line at the top of macro (that is a
                        > pretty cool tool). Anyway, it hangs up at the line beginning with
                        > "Menu (Var01; "choose email address .....".

                        Does it hang in the macro I put in Files > Temporary_Items here?
                        (BTW small update is now there).

                        John R.
                      • rjtc5
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                          I don't know . I had a problem installing that macro. With the
                          document open, I go through the process to install
                          (Edit/Prefs/Librarian/set Resource drop-down to macros),
                          however, nothing shows in the window to the right which I can
                          copy to my library? After I updated my macro using the edit
                          command under Tools>Macro and ran into problems I wanted to
                          give yours a shot, but, found I was not able to copy into the
                          library. rich

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 12, 2005
                            [Taken off-list due to detailed trouble-shooting and fixed.
                            I'll post a summary.]