Re: Printing in WP - Classic

    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

      > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
      > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
      > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
      > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
      > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

      The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
      pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
      Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
      link to a page on printing, which says:

      > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
      > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
      > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

      apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
      in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
      new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

      IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
      PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
      here.

      John R.
    • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2005
        How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
        printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
        does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
        OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
        >
        >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
        >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
        >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
        >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
        >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
        >
        >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
        >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
        >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
        >link to a page on printing, which says:
        >
        >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
        >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
        >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
        >
        >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
        >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
        >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
        >
        >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
        >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
        >here.
        >
        >John R.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
        Legal Director
        Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Ph: (515) 243 4032
        Fax: (515) 243 8506

        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
          that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
          Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
          whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
          .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
          However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
          lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
          under Chooser.

          It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
          to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
          access to OS X printers.

          Geoff

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
          >
          >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
          >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
          >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
          >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
          >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
          >
          >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
          >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
          >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
          >link to a page on printing, which says:
          >
          >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
          >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
          >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
          >
          >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
          >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
          >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
          >
          >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
          >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
          >here.
          >
          >John R.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Kane
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
            wrote:

            > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
            > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
            > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
            > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

            I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
            System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
            so, yes, is the answer to your question.