Re: [wordperfectmac] Printing in WP - Classic

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2005
      In a message dated 5/9/05 7:29:01 AM, mkh1@... writes:

      > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X.

      You have to select the printer from system 9. There are separate print
      utilities. In X its Print Center I think and in 9 its something else. But in 9, go
      to Apple menu, then chooser, and choose the printer. In my case, I have an
      Apple 4/600 printer which still works great after 9 years, and I have to also do
      "setup" before I print the first time.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

        > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
        > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
        > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
        > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
        > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

        The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
        pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
        Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
        link to a page on printing, which says:

        > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
        > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
        > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

        apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
        in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
        new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

        IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
        PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
        here.

        John R.
      • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
          printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
          does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
          OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
          >
          >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
          >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
          >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
          >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
          >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
          >
          >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
          >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
          >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
          >link to a page on printing, which says:
          >
          >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
          >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
          >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
          >
          >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
          >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
          >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
          >
          >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
          >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
          >here.
          >
          >John R.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
          Legal Director
          Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

          mailto:rwilson@...

          Ph: (515) 243 4032
          Fax: (515) 243 8506

          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
            that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
            Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
            whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
            .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
            However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
            lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
            under Chooser.

            It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
            to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
            access to OS X printers.

            Geoff

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
            >
            >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
            >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
            >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
            >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
            >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
            >
            >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
            >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
            >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
            >link to a page on printing, which says:
            >
            >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
            >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
            >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
            >
            >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
            >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
            >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
            >
            >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
            >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
            >here.
            >
            >John R.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Steve Kane
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2005
              On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
              wrote:

              > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
              > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
              > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
              > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

              I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
              System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
              so, yes, is the answer to your question.