Re: Printing in WP - Classic

    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Bongiovi <jbongiovi@e...> wrote:

      > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
      > functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
      > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
      > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
      > Classic). Here's what to do:
      >
      > While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
      > and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
      > installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
      > to this email).

      My Epson printer came with an OSX CD. The OSX driver was an
      automatic install, but I needed to open the package to find the
      OS 9 driver, and drag it into the Extensions folder of the OS 9
      System Folder. Easy enough to do, but there were no instructions
      for it.

      John R.
    • GAmoore@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2005
        In a message dated 5/9/05 7:29:01 AM, mkh1@... writes:

        > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X.

        You have to select the printer from system 9. There are separate print
        utilities. In X its Print Center I think and in 9 its something else. But in 9, go
        to Apple menu, then chooser, and choose the printer. In my case, I have an
        Apple 4/600 printer which still works great after 9 years, and I have to also do
        "setup" before I print the first time.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

          > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
          > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
          > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
          > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
          > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

          The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
          pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
          Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
          link to a page on printing, which says:

          > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
          > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
          > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

          apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
          in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
          new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

          IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
          PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
          here.

          John R.
        • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
            printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
            does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
            OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
            >
            >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
            >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
            >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
            >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
            >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
            >
            >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
            >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
            >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
            >link to a page on printing, which says:
            >
            >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
            >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
            >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
            >
            >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
            >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
            >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
            >
            >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
            >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
            >here.
            >
            >John R.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
            Legal Director
            Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

            mailto:rwilson@...

            Ph: (515) 243 4032
            Fax: (515) 243 8506

            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2005
              I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
              that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
              Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
              whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
              .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
              However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
              lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
              under Chooser.

              It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
              to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
              access to OS X printers.

              Geoff

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
              >
              >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
              >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
              >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
              >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
              >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
              >
              >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
              >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
              >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
              >link to a page on printing, which says:
              >
              >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
              >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
              >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
              >
              >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
              >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
              >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
              >
              >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
              >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
              >here.
              >
              >John R.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Steve Kane
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                wrote:

                > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
                > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
                > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
                System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
                so, yes, is the answer to your question.