Re: [wordperfectmac] Printing in WP - Classic

  • Steve Kane
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2005
      On May 9, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Joe Bongiovi wrote:

      > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
      > functions of each don't overlap.  So setting up a printer for X won't
      > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
      > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
      > Classic).  Here's what to do:

      Please regard the following as tentative, even uncertain, information.
      Please check it yourself. I can't as I have not upgraded to Tiger yet:

      There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
      read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
      Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
      listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
      gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Bongiovi <jbongiovi@e...> wrote:

        > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
        > functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
        > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
        > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
        > Classic). Here's what to do:
        >
        > While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
        > and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
        > installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
        > to this email).

        My Epson printer came with an OSX CD. The OSX driver was an
        automatic install, but I needed to open the package to find the
        OS 9 driver, and drag it into the Extensions folder of the OS 9
        System Folder. Easy enough to do, but there were no instructions
        for it.

        John R.
      • GAmoore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          In a message dated 5/9/05 7:29:01 AM, mkh1@... writes:

          > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X.

          You have to select the printer from system 9. There are separate print
          utilities. In X its Print Center I think and in 9 its something else. But in 9, go
          to Apple menu, then chooser, and choose the printer. In my case, I have an
          Apple 4/600 printer which still works great after 9 years, and I have to also do
          "setup" before I print the first time.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

            > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
            > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
            > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
            > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
            > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

            The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
            pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
            Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
            link to a page on printing, which says:

            > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
            > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
            > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

            apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
            in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
            new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

            IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
            PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
            here.

            John R.
          • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2005
              How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
              printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
              does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
              OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
              >
              >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
              >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
              >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
              >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
              >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
              >
              >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
              >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
              >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
              >link to a page on printing, which says:
              >
              >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
              >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
              >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
              >
              >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
              >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
              >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
              >
              >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
              >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
              >here.
              >
              >John R.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >To visit your group on the web, go to:

              /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
              Legal Director
              Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

              mailto:rwilson@...

              Ph: (515) 243 4032
              Fax: (515) 243 8506

              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
                that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
                Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
                whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
                .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
                However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
                lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
                under Chooser.

                It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
                to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
                access to OS X printers.

                Geoff

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
                >
                >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
                >
                >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                >link to a page on printing, which says:
                >
                >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
                >
                >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
                >
                >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                >here.
                >
                >John R.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Steve Kane
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                  On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                  wrote:

                  > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
                  > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                  > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
                  > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                  I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
                  System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
                  so, yes, is the answer to your question.