Re: [wordperfectmac] Printing in WP - Classic

  • Joe Bongiovi
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9 8:24 AM
      Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
      functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
      give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
      experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
      Classic). Here's what to do:

      While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
      and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
      installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
      to this email).

      Double-click on the printer in the left box. It should show up
      highlighted on the right side (if it doesn't, trash the printer
      preferences in the OS 9/Classic System Folder and the printer
      extension in "Extensions" in the System Folder and reinstall the
      driver from scratch and start again).

      Once it shows up highlighted on the right side, you should also see a
      button below that says "setup." Click on it, follow the prompts and
      then close the Chooser.

      You'll then get a message telling you to change your page setup. Do
      it, from inside WP. When you do this, the printer driver's software
      should come up with some basic global setting options. Check
      whatever works for you and then close the window.

      Then try printing your document.

      Good luck.

      Joe Bongiovi

      On May 9, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Michael wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Please help. I am unable to print INSIDE WordPerfect/
      > Classic. I AM ABLE to print in OS X 10.3.9.
      >
      > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS
      > X. But when access FILE > PAGE SETUP .... [OR] .... FILE >
      > PRINT .... all I get is this error message: "Printer has not
      > been chosen or driver not found". Again, I CAN PRINT within OS X
      > but NOT inside WordPerfect/Classic.
      >
      > What am I doing wrong?? I would appreciate anything you can do to
      > steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
      >
      > Michael
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Steve Kane
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9 10:24 AM
        On May 9, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Joe Bongiovi wrote:

        > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
        > functions of each don't overlap.  So setting up a printer for X won't
        > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
        > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
        > Classic).  Here's what to do:

        Please regard the following as tentative, even uncertain, information.
        Please check it yourself. I can't as I have not upgraded to Tiger yet:

        There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
        read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
        Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
        listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
        gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9 10:56 AM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Bongiovi <jbongiovi@e...> wrote:

          > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
          > functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
          > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
          > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
          > Classic). Here's what to do:
          >
          > While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
          > and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
          > installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
          > to this email).

          My Epson printer came with an OSX CD. The OSX driver was an
          automatic install, but I needed to open the package to find the
          OS 9 driver, and drag it into the Extensions folder of the OS 9
          System Folder. Easy enough to do, but there were no instructions
          for it.

          John R.
        • GAmoore@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9 10:58 AM
            In a message dated 5/9/05 7:29:01 AM, mkh1@... writes:

            > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X.

            You have to select the printer from system 9. There are separate print
            utilities. In X its Print Center I think and in 9 its something else. But in 9, go
            to Apple menu, then chooser, and choose the printer. In my case, I have an
            Apple 4/600 printer which still works great after 9 years, and I have to also do
            "setup" before I print the first time.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 9 11:17 AM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

              > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
              > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
              > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
              > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
              > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

              The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
              pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
              Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
              link to a page on printing, which says:

              > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
              > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
              > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

              apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
              in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
              new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

              IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
              PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
              here.

              John R.
            • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9 11:30 AM
                How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
                printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
                OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
                >
                >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
                >
                >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                >link to a page on printing, which says:
                >
                >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
                >
                >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
                >
                >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                >here.
                >
                >John R.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
                Legal Director
                Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

                mailto:rwilson@...

                Ph: (515) 243 4032
                Fax: (515) 243 8506

                Message 7 of 9 , May 9 12:04 PM
                  I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
                  that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
                  Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
                  whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
                  .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
                  However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
                  lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
                  under Chooser.

                  It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
                  to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
                  access to OS X printers.

                  Geoff

                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                  >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                  >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                  >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                  >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
                  >
                  >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                  >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                  >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                  >link to a page on printing, which says:
                  >
                  >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                  >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                  >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
                  >
                  >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                  >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                  >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
                  >
                  >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                  >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                  >here.
                  >
                  >John R.
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Steve Kane
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9 12:15 PM
                    On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                    wrote:

                    > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
                    > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                    > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
                    > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                    I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
                    System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
                    so, yes, is the answer to your question.