Printing in WP - Classic

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2005
      Hello,

      Please help. I am unable to print INSIDE WordPerfect/Classic. I AM ABLE to print in OS X 10.3.9.

      I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X. But when access FILE > PAGE SETUP .... [OR] .... FILE > PRINT .... all I get is this error message: "Printer has not been chosen or driver not found". Again, I CAN PRINT within OS X but NOT inside WordPerfect/Classic.

      What am I doing wrong?? I would appreciate anything you can do to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

      Michael
    • Joe Bongiovi
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2005
        Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
        functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
        give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
        experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
        Classic). Here's what to do:

        While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
        and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
        installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
        to this email).

        Double-click on the printer in the left box. It should show up
        highlighted on the right side (if it doesn't, trash the printer
        preferences in the OS 9/Classic System Folder and the printer
        extension in "Extensions" in the System Folder and reinstall the
        driver from scratch and start again).

        Once it shows up highlighted on the right side, you should also see a
        button below that says "setup." Click on it, follow the prompts and
        then close the Chooser.

        You'll then get a message telling you to change your page setup. Do
        it, from inside WP. When you do this, the printer driver's software
        should come up with some basic global setting options. Check
        whatever works for you and then close the window.

        Then try printing your document.

        Good luck.

        Joe Bongiovi

        On May 9, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Michael wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Please help. I am unable to print INSIDE WordPerfect/
        > Classic. I AM ABLE to print in OS X 10.3.9.
        >
        > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS
        > X. But when access FILE > PAGE SETUP .... [OR] .... FILE >
        > PRINT .... all I get is this error message: "Printer has not
        > been chosen or driver not found". Again, I CAN PRINT within OS X
        > but NOT inside WordPerfect/Classic.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?? I would appreciate anything you can do to
        > steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
        >
        > Michael
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve Kane
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          On May 9, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Joe Bongiovi wrote:

          > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
          > functions of each don't overlap.  So setting up a printer for X won't
          > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
          > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
          > Classic).  Here's what to do:

          Please regard the following as tentative, even uncertain, information.
          Please check it yourself. I can't as I have not upgraded to Tiger yet:

          There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
          read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
          Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
          listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
          gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Bongiovi <jbongiovi@e...> wrote:

            > Classic and OS X are two different systems and the printer setup
            > functions of each don't overlap. So setting up a printer for X won't
            > give you access to it in Classic (in fact, there are always - in my
            > experience - two different drivers for printers, X and OS 9/
            > Classic). Here's what to do:
            >
            > While you're in WordPerfect, click on the Apple menu, go to Chooser
            > and you should see your printer on the left side (if you've already
            > installed OS 9 drivers; if not, install them first and then come back
            > to this email).

            My Epson printer came with an OSX CD. The OSX driver was an
            automatic install, but I needed to open the package to find the
            OS 9 driver, and drag it into the Extensions folder of the OS 9
            System Folder. Easy enough to do, but there were no instructions
            for it.

            John R.
          • GAmoore@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2005
              In a message dated 5/9/05 7:29:01 AM, mkh1@... writes:

              > I have done everything I can see to select my printer inside OS X.

              You have to select the printer from system 9. There are separate print
              utilities. In X its Print Center I think and in 9 its something else. But in 9, go
              to Apple menu, then chooser, and choose the printer. In my case, I have an
              Apple 4/600 printer which still works great after 9 years, and I have to also do
              "setup" before I print the first time.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

                > There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                > read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                > Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                > listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                > gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.

                The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                link to a page on printing, which says:

                > Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                > Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                > Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.

                apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                new OS, something I'm very happy to see.

                IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                here.

                John R.
              • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                  How does that work in reverse under Tiger? One of my favorite office
                  printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                  does that just fine under an old OS9 driver. Can I continue to use
                  OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                  >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                  >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                  >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                  >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
                  >
                  >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                  >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                  >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                  >link to a page on printing, which says:
                  >
                  >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                  >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                  >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
                  >
                  >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                  >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                  >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
                  >
                  >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                  >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                  >here.
                  >
                  >John R.
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
                  Legal Director
                  Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

                  mailto:rwilson@...

                  Ph: (515) 243 4032
                  Fax: (515) 243 8506

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                    I have upgraded and the upgrade process (including launching Classic
                    that then asks if you want to update that, too) seems to choose the
                    Laser Writer 8 printer in Chooser. That is then configured for
                    whatever OS X printer you have and you can print automatically via a
                    .ps file (don't ask me how, I merely saw the .ps file being created).
                    However, since I have an OS 9 driver for that printer that gives me a
                    lot of control over the printer, I have reverted to the OS 9 driver
                    under Chooser.

                    It works, but it adds a layer to the process even if you don't have
                    to do anything. No new fonts become available as a result of this
                    access to OS X printers.

                    Geoff

                    >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> There may be an exception to this now with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have
                    >> read one report that in the Print Dialog Box (or maybe it's the Page
                    >> Setup Dialog Box) of a Classic application a drop down menu appears
                    >> listing Mac OS X printers that are not even installed in Classic. I
                    >> gather that these printers do not show up in the Chooser.
                    >
                    >The undersigned luddite hasn't upgraded yet, but Apple has some
                    >pages on Classic support in Tiger. See the new link to "Classic
                    >Applications in Tiger" in the Links section here, which has a
                    >link to a page on printing, which says:
                    >
                    >> Mac OS 9 applications can use the same printers that
                    >> Mac OS X applications can use, even if you do not have
                    >> Mac OS 9 drivers for those printers.
                    >
                    >apparently confirming what Steve heard. Assuming this is new
                    >in Tiger, Apple has actually enhanced Classic support in the
                    >new OS, something I'm very happy to see.
                    >
                    >IAC, don't forget Ed Mendelson's recipe for a free Print to
                    >PDF driver for Classic, in "WP and OSX" in the Links section
                    >here.
                    >
                    >John R.
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Steve Kane
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2005
                      On May 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                      wrote:

                      > How does that work in reverse under Tiger?  One of my favorite office
                      > printers (a Lanier LD122) cannot collate using the OSX driver but
                      > does that just fine under an old OS9 driver.  Can I continue to use
                      > OS 9 drivers if I upgrade to Tiger?

                      I read in that same posting that the drivers installed in the Classic
                      System Folder appear along with the Mac OS X versions of the drivers,
                      so, yes, is the answer to your question.