WP Fonts Running Classic

  • GAmoore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
      Where do you put fonts if there is no classic folder? I am able to run WP on
      my G5, but I can't use the equation editor because it needs the WP equation
      fonts. However, I don't see any place to put them. I put them in the regular
      fonts folder but they still don't show up. I do not have any system 9 system
      folder at all, but classic runs and WP runs.

      Greg

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
        GAmoore@... said:

        >Where do you put fonts if there is no classic folder? I am able to run WP on
        >my G5, but I can't use the equation editor because it needs the WP equation
        >fonts. However, I don't see any place to put them. I put them in the regular
        >fonts folder but they still don't show up. I do not have any system 9 system
        >folder at all, but classic runs and WP runs.

        You can't run Classic in OS X without having OS 9 and the OS 9 System
        Folder installed. Since Classic *is* OS 9, running in OS X as if it were
        more or less just another application, it is impossible to have Classic
        run without having OS 9 installed.

        There should be a folder called "System" for OS X, and a folder called
        "System Folder" for OS 9. They are more than likely both at the root
        level of your drive. If you don't see them, do a "Find" for them.

        In the System Folder, you will find the familiar OS 9 Fonts folder.
        These are the fonts that came with, or which were installed into, OS 9.
        These are the fonts available when you run Classic. They are also
        available to OS X applications.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • GAmoore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
          In a message dated 4/29/05 11:58:56 PM, randy@... writes:

          > >Where do you put fonts if there is no classic folder? I am able to run WP
          > on
          > >my G5, but I can't use the equation editor because it needs the WP equation
          > >fonts. However, I don't see any place to put them. I put them in the
          > regular
          > >fonts folder but they still don't show up. I do not have any system 9
          > system
          > >folder at all, but classic runs and WP runs.
          >

          > You can't run Classic in OS X without having OS 9 and the OS 9 System
          > Folder installed.  Since Classic *is* OS 9, running in OS X as if it were
          > more or less just another application, it is impossible to have Classic
          > run without having OS 9 installed.
          >
          > There should be a folder called "System" for OS X, and a folder called
          > "System Folder" for OS 9.  They are more than likely both at the root
          > level of your drive.  If you don't see them, do a "Find" for them.

          Thats what I thought too. I have an ibook and some other macs before and
          there was a "System Folder". I did a search right now, on my G5 and there is
          nothing. However, if I do a search on "classic" I do get some things. It seems that
          classic can run as a componet of Panther. I also did a search on "finder" and
          looked in the disk and saw the "System" (X) folder but no "System Folder".

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:

            > Thats what I thought too. I have an ibook and some other macs
            > before and there was a "System Folder". I did a search right now,
            > on my G5 and there is nothing. However, if I do a search on
            > "classic" I do get some things. It seems that classic can run as
            > a componet of Panther. I also did a search on "finder" and
            > looked in the disk and saw the "System" (X) folder but no "System
            > Folder".

            Go to System Preferences > Classic > Start/Stop. In bold just above
            the center, a line will say "Classic is running using . . ." with the
            name and disk location of Classic's system folder. Just below that,
            there's a "Select a system folder for Classic" line and selection box
            showing the path to the folder. Randy's right that Classic needs it;
            I wonder if yours has been moved or renamed.

            John R.
          • GAmoore@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
              In a message dated 4/30/05 10:40:50 AM, jrethorst@... writes:

              > Go to System Preferences > Classic > Start/Stop. In bold just above
              > the center, a line will say "Classic is running using . . ." with the
              > name and disk location of Classic's system folder. Just below that,
              > there's a "Select a system folder for Classic" line and selection box
              > showing the path to the folder. Randy's right that Classic needs it;
              > I wonder if yours has been moved or renamed.

              OK. thanks! I have two internal hard drives - and it was finding the system
              folder (9) on the other hard drive.