Re: [wordperfectmac] coversion or update

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
      On Apr 25, 2005, at 11:24 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

      > You can purchase MacLink Plus translators to translate your WP files
      > for
      > use in other word processors, but don't expect the resulting
      > translations
      > to be entirely satisfactory.
      > http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

      The MacLink Plus translations from WP to Appleworks are actually quite
      satisfactory, though they default (even in the new version) to AW
      version 5, so that when you open the documents in AW 6, they go thru
      another translation. But I've never encountered a glitch there. The
      translations to Word that I've done have been pretty good, too, though
      with a few odd quirks; if you have foot- or endnotes, they'll end up
      being numbered with Roman numerals in Word, no matter how they're set
      up in WP. One advantage of MacLink Plus is its batch translation
      capability, so you can work with whole bunches of files at a time.

      I really haven't done translations into other formats that the program
      supports.

      Rick Albright

      PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both listservs, since
      the same people--at least for this message thread--seem to be on both?
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@r...>
        wrote:

        > PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both
        > listservs, since the same people--at least for this
        > message thread--seem to be on both?

        It looks like r8ix.com is subscribed to Yahoo.

        It's a little odd. I originally set up Yahoo as a library,
        for available links and files, and as a searchable
        repository for the three-million word archive of the r8ix
        list, a tremendous measure of support for WPMac on the
        part of the list host and all contributors to it.

        I subscribed Yahoo to r8ix some months back, to continue
        the library function, but it apparently didn't register,
        as Yahoo never received any digests.

        About the time I was setting up the Yahoo group (latter
        half of 2004), r8ix seemed to become erratic. I was
        subscribed to both the active list and the digest, with
        different addresses, and stopped getting either. Messages
        I sent to the list just disappeared. This persisted for
        several months.

        When I announced the Yahoo group at the start of this
        year, sending an email to everyone who had posted to r8ix
        in 2004, I got quite a few private responses appreciative
        that at least one source of WPMac support would continue.
        (I also got positive emails from a couple of people who
        had signed off r8ix because of uncontrolled flame wars,
        but that's another question.)

        When I sent the email announcing the group, a dozen posts
        to the group showed up in short order, all from folks glad
        that a reliable source for communication among the
        remaining WP user base was again available.

        More recently (just in the last week or so), not having
        received anything from r8ix in a long time, I emailed for
        the current digest and got it, containing a question (from
        luskin@..., I think?) with a question about advanced
        sorting. This is one of WP's strengths, and I posted a
        comprehensive answer. I sent again for a digest the next
        day, to see whether it had gotten there, and it hadn't.
        Afew days later, some test messages came through to my
        active subscription, and I emailed again for a digest, but
        that entire file (digest #955) was gone - both question
        and answer.

        I haven't kept a count of how many of my posts to r8ix
        have disappeared in the last six months, but it's been
        more than a few.

        The last thing I'd want to do is disparage anyone's
        support for the program, and we might all actually feel
        fortunate that we know it and use it - witness the long
        and heartfelt recent thread on usenet's comp.sys.mac.apps
        about Pages, Apple's new word processor. Why aren't there
        any good, _serious_ word processors? asked what seemed
        like a few hundred people who felt they needed to operate
        in the OSX native environment and who also needed a word
        processor free of everything that MS Word has going for
        it.

        One thing Word and all other programs have going for them,
        though, is a broad support structure, including phone tech
        support and corporate web sites.

        We who are willing to stay in Classic, a small
        inconvenience for a powerful and elegant tool with which
        to express our thoughts, have to have a way to talk with
        each other. We really need that.