Re: [wordperfectmac] coversion or update

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
      At 050425 17:42 +0000, ruels92 wrote:

      >I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created many
      >wonderful files under this system. The WP version is 3.0 I have
      >perchased ibook G3 128 MB 900MHz . MOS 10.2.8. I would like to
      >open the files from my old computer on to my ibook. I have apple
      >works but it does not recognize the WP 3.0 files.

      Is there some reason you do not want to run WP on your newer
      computer? If you must get the files into AppleWorks, you should
      probably get the latest MacLinkPlus.
      --
      John
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@n...>
        wrote:
        > At 050425 17:42 +0000, ruels92 wrote:

        > > I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created
        > > many wonderful files under this system. The WP version is 3.0
        > > I have perchased ibook G3 128 MB 900MHz . MOS 10.2.8.
        > > I would like to open the files from my old computer on to my
        > > ibook. I have apple works but it does not recognize the
        > > WP 3.0 files.

        > Is there some reason you do not want to run WP on your newer
        > computer? If you must get the files into AppleWorks, you should
        > probably get the latest MacLinkPlus.

        Right - also, do you know that WP 3.5e will run without problems in
        Classic mode on your iBook? Version 3.5e (the last version) is still
        a free download, at links in the Links section here. Also get the
        OS 8/9/Classic updater. If your iBook doesn't have Classic installed,
        you can install it from the system disks that should come with your
        computer.

        John R.
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
          ruels92 said:

          >I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created many
          >wonderful files
          >under this system. The WP version is 3.0 I have perchased ibook G3
          >128 MB
          >900MHz . MOS 10.2.8. I would like to open the files from my old
          >computer on to
          >my ibook. I have apple works but it does not recognize the WP 3.0 files.
          > I have
          >purchased an external floppy drive to read the disksfrom my performa.
          >What should
          >I do Can I download an updated version to my I book to read the older
          >fromat of
          >3.0. or what conversion format do I use save the information from 3.0
          >so it can be
          >read by apple works 6.0.

          First, just so that you know, 128MB of RAM is way too little for OS X.
          With that little RAM OS X will be slow as molasses (due to your Mac
          constantly having to access your hard drive for use as virtual memory
          since there isn't enough real memory available). I recommend that you
          upgrade your RAM to at least 384MB, but 512MB or 1GB will provide even
          better performance.

          Here are some options on what you can do to use your WP files under OS X.

          You can purchase MacLink Plus translators to translate your WP files for
          use in other word processors, but don't expect the resulting translations
          to be entirely satisfactory.
          http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

          As an alternative, you can download AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/>
          or NeoOffice/J <http://www.neooffice.org/java/>, both of which are free
          and open source word processors with Mac OS X versions. Both include WP
          translators so that you can use them to open your documents. You can
          also use these applications to save your WP documents into other formats,
          for use in the word processor of your choice. You may even find that you
          like one of these programs enough to continue using them as your main
          word processing application.

          Another alternative. If you have a copy of OS 9 installed on your new
          Macintosh, for use as "the Classic environment", you can run legacy
          Macintosh software that is not OS X-native. The last available version
          of WP/Mac is available as a free download, and it runs fairly well under
          Classic in OS X:
          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

          A final option is to open all of your WP documents on your old Mac in WP
          itself, and save them in a format that can be read by another word
          processor, such as RTF. Then you can transfer them to your new Mac and
          open them in an OS X-native word processor.

          I hope this helps.

          Randy B. Singer

          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
            On Apr 25, 2005, at 11:24 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

            > You can purchase MacLink Plus translators to translate your WP files
            > for
            > use in other word processors, but don't expect the resulting
            > translations
            > to be entirely satisfactory.
            > http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

            The MacLink Plus translations from WP to Appleworks are actually quite
            satisfactory, though they default (even in the new version) to AW
            version 5, so that when you open the documents in AW 6, they go thru
            another translation. But I've never encountered a glitch there. The
            translations to Word that I've done have been pretty good, too, though
            with a few odd quirks; if you have foot- or endnotes, they'll end up
            being numbered with Roman numerals in Word, no matter how they're set
            up in WP. One advantage of MacLink Plus is its batch translation
            capability, so you can work with whole bunches of files at a time.

            I really haven't done translations into other formats that the program
            supports.

            Rick Albright

            PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both listservs, since
            the same people--at least for this message thread--seem to be on both?
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@r...>
              wrote:

              > PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both
              > listservs, since the same people--at least for this
              > message thread--seem to be on both?

              It looks like r8ix.com is subscribed to Yahoo.

              It's a little odd. I originally set up Yahoo as a library,
              for available links and files, and as a searchable
              repository for the three-million word archive of the r8ix
              list, a tremendous measure of support for WPMac on the
              part of the list host and all contributors to it.

              I subscribed Yahoo to r8ix some months back, to continue
              the library function, but it apparently didn't register,
              as Yahoo never received any digests.

              About the time I was setting up the Yahoo group (latter
              half of 2004), r8ix seemed to become erratic. I was
              subscribed to both the active list and the digest, with
              different addresses, and stopped getting either. Messages
              I sent to the list just disappeared. This persisted for
              several months.

              When I announced the Yahoo group at the start of this
              year, sending an email to everyone who had posted to r8ix
              in 2004, I got quite a few private responses appreciative
              that at least one source of WPMac support would continue.
              (I also got positive emails from a couple of people who
              had signed off r8ix because of uncontrolled flame wars,
              but that's another question.)

              When I sent the email announcing the group, a dozen posts
              to the group showed up in short order, all from folks glad
              that a reliable source for communication among the
              remaining WP user base was again available.

              More recently (just in the last week or so), not having
              received anything from r8ix in a long time, I emailed for
              the current digest and got it, containing a question (from
              luskin@..., I think?) with a question about advanced
              sorting. This is one of WP's strengths, and I posted a
              comprehensive answer. I sent again for a digest the next
              day, to see whether it had gotten there, and it hadn't.
              Afew days later, some test messages came through to my
              active subscription, and I emailed again for a digest, but
              that entire file (digest #955) was gone - both question
              and answer.

              I haven't kept a count of how many of my posts to r8ix
              have disappeared in the last six months, but it's been
              more than a few.

              The last thing I'd want to do is disparage anyone's
              support for the program, and we might all actually feel
              fortunate that we know it and use it - witness the long
              and heartfelt recent thread on usenet's comp.sys.mac.apps
              about Pages, Apple's new word processor. Why aren't there
              any good, _serious_ word processors? asked what seemed
              like a few hundred people who felt they needed to operate
              in the OSX native environment and who also needed a word
              processor free of everything that MS Word has going for
              it.

              One thing Word and all other programs have going for them,
              though, is a broad support structure, including phone tech
              support and corporate web sites.

              We who are willing to stay in Classic, a small
              inconvenience for a powerful and elegant tool with which
              to express our thoughts, have to have a way to talk with
              each other. We really need that.