coversion or update

  • ruels92
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25 10:42 AM
      I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created many wonderful files
      under this system. The WP version is 3.0 I have perchased ibook G3 128 MB
      900MHz . MOS 10.2.8. I would like to open the files from my old computer on to
      my ibook. I have apple works but it does not recognize the WP 3.0 files. I have
      purchased an external floppy drive to read the disksfrom my performa. What should
      I do Can I download an updated version to my I book to read the older fromat of
      3.0. or what conversion format do I use save the information from 3.0 so it can be
      read by apple works 6.0.
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25 2:02 PM
        At 050425 17:42 +0000, ruels92 wrote:

        >I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created many
        >wonderful files under this system. The WP version is 3.0 I have
        >perchased ibook G3 128 MB 900MHz . MOS 10.2.8. I would like to
        >open the files from my old computer on to my ibook. I have apple
        >works but it does not recognize the WP 3.0 files.

        Is there some reason you do not want to run WP on your newer
        computer? If you must get the files into AppleWorks, you should
        probably get the latest MacLinkPlus.
        --
        John
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25 5:34 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@n...>
          wrote:
          > At 050425 17:42 +0000, ruels92 wrote:

          > > I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created
          > > many wonderful files under this system. The WP version is 3.0
          > > I have perchased ibook G3 128 MB 900MHz . MOS 10.2.8.
          > > I would like to open the files from my old computer on to my
          > > ibook. I have apple works but it does not recognize the
          > > WP 3.0 files.

          > Is there some reason you do not want to run WP on your newer
          > computer? If you must get the files into AppleWorks, you should
          > probably get the latest MacLinkPlus.

          Right - also, do you know that WP 3.5e will run without problems in
          Classic mode on your iBook? Version 3.5e (the last version) is still
          a free download, at links in the Links section here. Also get the
          OS 8/9/Classic updater. If your iBook doesn't have Classic installed,
          you can install it from the system disks that should come with your
          computer.

          John R.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25 8:24 PM
            ruels92 said:

            >I have an older performa cd 640 with OS 7.6.1. I have created many
            >wonderful files
            >under this system. The WP version is 3.0 I have perchased ibook G3
            >128 MB
            >900MHz . MOS 10.2.8. I would like to open the files from my old
            >computer on to
            >my ibook. I have apple works but it does not recognize the WP 3.0 files.
            > I have
            >purchased an external floppy drive to read the disksfrom my performa.
            >What should
            >I do Can I download an updated version to my I book to read the older
            >fromat of
            >3.0. or what conversion format do I use save the information from 3.0
            >so it can be
            >read by apple works 6.0.

            First, just so that you know, 128MB of RAM is way too little for OS X.
            With that little RAM OS X will be slow as molasses (due to your Mac
            constantly having to access your hard drive for use as virtual memory
            since there isn't enough real memory available). I recommend that you
            upgrade your RAM to at least 384MB, but 512MB or 1GB will provide even
            better performance.

            Here are some options on what you can do to use your WP files under OS X.

            You can purchase MacLink Plus translators to translate your WP files for
            use in other word processors, but don't expect the resulting translations
            to be entirely satisfactory.
            http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

            As an alternative, you can download AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/>
            or NeoOffice/J <http://www.neooffice.org/java/>, both of which are free
            and open source word processors with Mac OS X versions. Both include WP
            translators so that you can use them to open your documents. You can
            also use these applications to save your WP documents into other formats,
            for use in the word processor of your choice. You may even find that you
            like one of these programs enough to continue using them as your main
            word processing application.

            Another alternative. If you have a copy of OS 9 installed on your new
            Macintosh, for use as "the Classic environment", you can run legacy
            Macintosh software that is not OS X-native. The last available version
            of WP/Mac is available as a free download, and it runs fairly well under
            Classic in OS X:
            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

            A final option is to open all of your WP documents on your old Mac in WP
            itself, and save them in a format that can be read by another word
            processor, such as RTF. Then you can transfer them to your new Mac and
            open them in an OS X-native word processor.

            I hope this helps.

            Randy B. Singer

            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25 8:54 PM
              On Apr 25, 2005, at 11:24 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

              > You can purchase MacLink Plus translators to translate your WP files
              > for
              > use in other word processors, but don't expect the resulting
              > translations
              > to be entirely satisfactory.
              > http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

              The MacLink Plus translations from WP to Appleworks are actually quite
              satisfactory, though they default (even in the new version) to AW
              version 5, so that when you open the documents in AW 6, they go thru
              another translation. But I've never encountered a glitch there. The
              translations to Word that I've done have been pretty good, too, though
              with a few odd quirks; if you have foot- or endnotes, they'll end up
              being numbered with Roman numerals in Word, no matter how they're set
              up in WP. One advantage of MacLink Plus is its batch translation
              capability, so you can work with whole bunches of files at a time.

              I really haven't done translations into other formats that the program
              supports.

              Rick Albright

              PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both listservs, since
              the same people--at least for this message thread--seem to be on both?
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26 11:49 AM
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@r...>
                wrote:

                > PS: Why are these messages being duplicated in both
                > listservs, since the same people--at least for this
                > message thread--seem to be on both?

                It looks like r8ix.com is subscribed to Yahoo.

                It's a little odd. I originally set up Yahoo as a library,
                for available links and files, and as a searchable
                repository for the three-million word archive of the r8ix
                list, a tremendous measure of support for WPMac on the
                part of the list host and all contributors to it.

                I subscribed Yahoo to r8ix some months back, to continue
                the library function, but it apparently didn't register,
                as Yahoo never received any digests.

                About the time I was setting up the Yahoo group (latter
                half of 2004), r8ix seemed to become erratic. I was
                subscribed to both the active list and the digest, with
                different addresses, and stopped getting either. Messages
                I sent to the list just disappeared. This persisted for
                several months.

                When I announced the Yahoo group at the start of this
                year, sending an email to everyone who had posted to r8ix
                in 2004, I got quite a few private responses appreciative
                that at least one source of WPMac support would continue.
                (I also got positive emails from a couple of people who
                had signed off r8ix because of uncontrolled flame wars,
                but that's another question.)

                When I sent the email announcing the group, a dozen posts
                to the group showed up in short order, all from folks glad
                that a reliable source for communication among the
                remaining WP user base was again available.

                More recently (just in the last week or so), not having
                received anything from r8ix in a long time, I emailed for
                the current digest and got it, containing a question (from
                luskin@..., I think?) with a question about advanced
                sorting. This is one of WP's strengths, and I posted a
                comprehensive answer. I sent again for a digest the next
                day, to see whether it had gotten there, and it hadn't.
                Afew days later, some test messages came through to my
                active subscription, and I emailed again for a digest, but
                that entire file (digest #955) was gone - both question
                and answer.

                I haven't kept a count of how many of my posts to r8ix
                have disappeared in the last six months, but it's been
                more than a few.

                The last thing I'd want to do is disparage anyone's
                support for the program, and we might all actually feel
                fortunate that we know it and use it - witness the long
                and heartfelt recent thread on usenet's comp.sys.mac.apps
                about Pages, Apple's new word processor. Why aren't there
                any good, _serious_ word processors? asked what seemed
                like a few hundred people who felt they needed to operate
                in the OSX native environment and who also needed a word
                processor free of everything that MS Word has going for
                it.

                One thing Word and all other programs have going for them,
                though, is a broad support structure, including phone tech
                support and corporate web sites.

                We who are willing to stay in Classic, a small
                inconvenience for a powerful and elegant tool with which
                to express our thoughts, have to have a way to talk with
                each other. We really need that.