Re: [wordperfectmac] print to pdf

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
      Paul Meijer said:

      >So far I used Wordperfect 3.5e Mac and I don't plan to stop doing this.
      >But I'm also interested in the possibilities of Apple's Pages, which I
      >purchased a couple of days ago. So far I didn't manage to import
      >anything from WP to Pages by printing files to pdf. I tried both
      >PrintToPdf and a Adobe Driver from the Chooser. It seems the best
      >option, since I don't like to give up the layout. Once in this list
      >there was an explanation about how to export to pdf, but I can't find
      >it anymore. Can anyone help me?

      Pages can't open PDF's, though it can save files in PDF format.

      PDF format is not a file format that was designed to be edited like a
      word processing format, it is more closely akin to a graphic file format.
      (Some programs, like TextLightning and OmniPage Pro can turn a PDF back
      into a word processing format file.)

      As far as getting WP files into Pages, it is possible, but in most cases
      the result will be far from perfect.

      Your options:

      1. Purchase MacLink Plus from DataViz <http://www.dataviz.com/> and use
      it to convert your WP files to Microsoft Word format files.

      2. Download a free and open source word processor that includes a WP/Word
      translator. AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/> and NeoOffice/J
      <http://www.neooffice.org/java/> can open WP documents and save them as
      Microsoft Word files.

      3. Use WordPerfect/Mac to save your WP files in Microsoft Word format.
      However, you should note that even when WP/Mac included the DataViz
      translators, it never did a particularly good job of translating files
      into Word format.

      Pages can import Microsoft Word format files. (It can also import
      AppleWorks, RTF, HTML and plain text files, but Word format is the most
      robust word processing format of these choices. And, I suspect, the
      intermediate format most likely to successfully retain all of your
      formatting.) I've heard reports about Pages translation capabilites with
      Word files that range from excellent to terrible. So, I suspect that how
      good a job it does will at least partially depend on how complex the
      formatting is in the document being imported.

      <http://www.macintouch.com/iwork.html>

      Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that the required two step conversion
      process will rarely yield a file opened in Pages that does not require at
      least some cleaning up.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html