Re: [wordperfectmac] print to pdf

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
      > Once in this list there was an explanation about how
      > to export to pdf, but I can't find it anymore. Can
      > anyone help me?

      Go to the Links section here, to "WP and OS X", for Ed Mendelson's recipe for Print to PDF.

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
        Paul Meijer said:

        >So far I used Wordperfect 3.5e Mac and I don't plan to stop doing this.
        >But I'm also interested in the possibilities of Apple's Pages, which I
        >purchased a couple of days ago. So far I didn't manage to import
        >anything from WP to Pages by printing files to pdf. I tried both
        >PrintToPdf and a Adobe Driver from the Chooser. It seems the best
        >option, since I don't like to give up the layout. Once in this list
        >there was an explanation about how to export to pdf, but I can't find
        >it anymore. Can anyone help me?

        Pages can't open PDF's, though it can save files in PDF format.

        PDF format is not a file format that was designed to be edited like a
        word processing format, it is more closely akin to a graphic file format.
        (Some programs, like TextLightning and OmniPage Pro can turn a PDF back
        into a word processing format file.)

        As far as getting WP files into Pages, it is possible, but in most cases
        the result will be far from perfect.

        Your options:

        1. Purchase MacLink Plus from DataViz <http://www.dataviz.com/> and use
        it to convert your WP files to Microsoft Word format files.

        2. Download a free and open source word processor that includes a WP/Word
        translator. AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/> and NeoOffice/J
        <http://www.neooffice.org/java/> can open WP documents and save them as
        Microsoft Word files.

        3. Use WordPerfect/Mac to save your WP files in Microsoft Word format.
        However, you should note that even when WP/Mac included the DataViz
        translators, it never did a particularly good job of translating files
        into Word format.

        Pages can import Microsoft Word format files. (It can also import
        AppleWorks, RTF, HTML and plain text files, but Word format is the most
        robust word processing format of these choices. And, I suspect, the
        intermediate format most likely to successfully retain all of your
        formatting.) I've heard reports about Pages translation capabilites with
        Word files that range from excellent to terrible. So, I suspect that how
        good a job it does will at least partially depend on how complex the
        formatting is in the document being imported.

        <http://www.macintouch.com/iwork.html>

        Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that the required two step conversion
        process will rarely yield a file opened in Pages that does not require at
        least some cleaning up.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html