print to pdf

  • Paul Meijer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
      Hello group,
      So far I used Wordperfect 3.5e Mac and I don't plan to stop doing this.
      But I'm also interested in the possibilities of Apple's Pages, which I
      purchased a couple of days ago. So far I didn't manage to import
      anything from WP to Pages by printing files to pdf. I tried both
      PrintToPdf and a Adobe Driver from the Chooser. It seems the best
      option, since I don't like to give up the layout. Once in this list
      there was an explanation about how to export to pdf, but I can't find
      it anymore. Can anyone help me?
      Thank you,
      Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
        > Once in this list there was an explanation about how
        > to export to pdf, but I can't find it anymore. Can
        > anyone help me?

        Go to the Links section here, to "WP and OS X", for Ed Mendelson's recipe for Print to PDF.

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
          Paul Meijer said:

          >So far I used Wordperfect 3.5e Mac and I don't plan to stop doing this.
          >But I'm also interested in the possibilities of Apple's Pages, which I
          >purchased a couple of days ago. So far I didn't manage to import
          >anything from WP to Pages by printing files to pdf. I tried both
          >PrintToPdf and a Adobe Driver from the Chooser. It seems the best
          >option, since I don't like to give up the layout. Once in this list
          >there was an explanation about how to export to pdf, but I can't find
          >it anymore. Can anyone help me?

          Pages can't open PDF's, though it can save files in PDF format.

          PDF format is not a file format that was designed to be edited like a
          word processing format, it is more closely akin to a graphic file format.
          (Some programs, like TextLightning and OmniPage Pro can turn a PDF back
          into a word processing format file.)

          As far as getting WP files into Pages, it is possible, but in most cases
          the result will be far from perfect.

          Your options:

          1. Purchase MacLink Plus from DataViz <http://www.dataviz.com/> and use
          it to convert your WP files to Microsoft Word format files.

          2. Download a free and open source word processor that includes a WP/Word
          translator. AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/> and NeoOffice/J
          <http://www.neooffice.org/java/> can open WP documents and save them as
          Microsoft Word files.

          3. Use WordPerfect/Mac to save your WP files in Microsoft Word format.
          However, you should note that even when WP/Mac included the DataViz
          translators, it never did a particularly good job of translating files
          into Word format.

          Pages can import Microsoft Word format files. (It can also import
          AppleWorks, RTF, HTML and plain text files, but Word format is the most
          robust word processing format of these choices. And, I suspect, the
          intermediate format most likely to successfully retain all of your
          formatting.) I've heard reports about Pages translation capabilites with
          Word files that range from excellent to terrible. So, I suspect that how
          good a job it does will at least partially depend on how complex the
          formatting is in the document being imported.

          <http://www.macintouch.com/iwork.html>

          Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that the required two step conversion
          process will rarely yield a file opened in Pages that does not require at
          least some cleaning up.

          Randy B. Singer

          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html