Re: [wordperfectmac] Newbie with WP iMac OSX display problem

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
      michielhvr said:

      >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac (updated).
      >There's an on-
      >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be overwritten by
      >other letters,

      I used to have this problem frequently when using WordPerfect/Mac, under
      OS 8.6 (this was before there was an OS X), and it drove me crazy when I
      was writing an important document. At times I would just have to give up
      on using WP/Mac to write an important document, because the overlapping
      text made it impossible to edit.

      I never did find a reliable solution to the problem.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
        wrote:

        > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
        > dialog. If so, clear it.

        Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
        macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
        fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to fixed.
        The macro could be assigned to Command-P.

        A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.

        John R.
      • michielhvr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
          Thanks for all the help. I will have more time to look into the fix
          later this week so I will let you know what did best.

          Thx, Michiel
        • michielhvr
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2005
            <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
            > > dialog. If so, clear it.
            >
            > Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
            > macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
            > fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to
            fixed.
            > The macro could be assigned to Command-P.
            >
            > A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.
            >
            > John R.

            Dear John,

            Your macro comes in very handy (thanks a lot) and you were right to
            go with the 5 zoomlevels that are OK. Determining these zoomlevels
            has been a matter of trial & error and I do not know if they are OK
            for other lettertypes. I think it may depend on the font.

            Removing the checkmark next to Fractional Character Widths is no
            solution. In fact it should be ON! Fractional Widths improve the
            on-screen view at these five zoom levels even a bit more. When
            printing I turn it off, depending on the text/lay-out.

            Removing the checkmark beside Smooth All Fonts did nothing.

            Thanks to everybody,

            Michiel