Re: [wordperfectmac] Newbie with WP iMac OSX display problem

  • Barney Christianson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
      >Hi everyone,
      >
      >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac
      >(updated). There's an on-
      >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be
      >overwritten by other letters,
      >spacings disappear visibly and the cursor is not always diplayed
      >were it actually is. Printing
      >works fine, so it's a display-problem.
      >
      >This problem is at its worst using Helvetica font and will sometimes
      >be solved converting
      >to Times but all of my archive from my old WP Mac is in Helvetica.
      >
      >Changing zoom-levels helps: 140, 159 and 177% are sort of OK and
      >186, 195, 204, 213
      >and 222% are best. Adding one % zoom to these levels distorts the
      >displayed text again.
      >
      >Is anyone familiar with the problem? Is there a fix? I contacted
      >Edward Mendelson, who
      >advised my to seek for help on this forum.

      I had a similar problem with OS X and WP and fixed it as follows.With
      WP running so you have a proper Apple pull-down menu on the upper
      left corner of the screen...

      Apple Menu --> Control Panels --> Appearance --> click the FONTS tab
      --> remove the check mark beside Smooth All Fonts On Screen

      Hope it helpls.

      --
      Barney

      Every farmer knows that any jack-ass can kick a barn down.

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
        michielhvr said:

        >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac (updated).
        >There's an on-
        >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be overwritten by
        >other letters,

        I used to have this problem frequently when using WordPerfect/Mac, under
        OS 8.6 (this was before there was an OS X), and it drove me crazy when I
        was writing an important document. At times I would just have to give up
        on using WP/Mac to write an important document, because the overlapping
        text made it impossible to edit.

        I never did find a reliable solution to the problem.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
          wrote:

          > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
          > dialog. If so, clear it.

          Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
          macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
          fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to fixed.
          The macro could be assigned to Command-P.

          A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.

          John R.
        • michielhvr
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
            Thanks for all the help. I will have more time to look into the fix
            later this week so I will let you know what did best.

            Thx, Michiel
          • michielhvr
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2005
              <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
              > > dialog. If so, clear it.
              >
              > Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
              > macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
              > fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to
              fixed.
              > The macro could be assigned to Command-P.
              >
              > A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.
              >
              > John R.

              Dear John,

              Your macro comes in very handy (thanks a lot) and you were right to
              go with the 5 zoomlevels that are OK. Determining these zoomlevels
              has been a matter of trial & error and I do not know if they are OK
              for other lettertypes. I think it may depend on the font.

              Removing the checkmark next to Fractional Character Widths is no
              solution. In fact it should be ON! Fractional Widths improve the
              on-screen view at these five zoom levels even a bit more. When
              printing I turn it off, depending on the text/lay-out.

              Removing the checkmark beside Smooth All Fonts did nothing.

              Thanks to everybody,

              Michiel