Re: [wordperfectmac] Newbie with WP iMac OSX display problem

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
      Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
      dialog. If so, clear it.

      Geoff

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
        Here's a slight revision to the magnification level macro, to adjust
        the window size to match:

        Menu (Var00;"Set Magnification";{"186";"195";"204";"213";"222"})
        Case (Var00;{1;186;2;195;3;204;4;213;5;222};cancel)
        ;
        Label (186)
        Magnification (186.0)
        Go (end)
        ;
        Label (195)
        Magnification (195.0)
        Go (end)
        ;
        Label (204)
        Magnification (204.0)
        Go (end)
        ;
        Label (213)
        Magnification (213.0)
        Go (end)
        ;
        Label (222)
        Magnification (222.0)
        Go (end)
        ;
        Label (end)
        ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)
        Display (On)

        John R.
      • Barney Christianson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
          >Hi everyone,
          >
          >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac
          >(updated). There's an on-
          >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be
          >overwritten by other letters,
          >spacings disappear visibly and the cursor is not always diplayed
          >were it actually is. Printing
          >works fine, so it's a display-problem.
          >
          >This problem is at its worst using Helvetica font and will sometimes
          >be solved converting
          >to Times but all of my archive from my old WP Mac is in Helvetica.
          >
          >Changing zoom-levels helps: 140, 159 and 177% are sort of OK and
          >186, 195, 204, 213
          >and 222% are best. Adding one % zoom to these levels distorts the
          >displayed text again.
          >
          >Is anyone familiar with the problem? Is there a fix? I contacted
          >Edward Mendelson, who
          >advised my to seek for help on this forum.

          I had a similar problem with OS X and WP and fixed it as follows.With
          WP running so you have a proper Apple pull-down menu on the upper
          left corner of the screen...

          Apple Menu --> Control Panels --> Appearance --> click the FONTS tab
          --> remove the check mark beside Smooth All Fonts On Screen

          Hope it helpls.

          --
          Barney

          Every farmer knows that any jack-ass can kick a barn down.

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
            michielhvr said:

            >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac (updated).
            >There's an on-
            >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be overwritten by
            >other letters,

            I used to have this problem frequently when using WordPerfect/Mac, under
            OS 8.6 (this was before there was an OS X), and it drove me crazy when I
            was writing an important document. At times I would just have to give up
            on using WP/Mac to write an important document, because the overlapping
            text made it impossible to edit.

            I never did find a reliable solution to the problem.

            Randy B. Singer

            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
              wrote:

              > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
              > dialog. If so, clear it.

              Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
              macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
              fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to fixed.
              The macro could be assigned to Command-P.

              A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.

              John R.
            • michielhvr
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
                Thanks for all the help. I will have more time to look into the fix
                later this week so I will let you know what did best.

                Thx, Michiel
              • michielhvr
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2005
                  <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
                  > > dialog. If so, clear it.
                  >
                  > Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
                  > macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
                  > fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to
                  fixed.
                  > The macro could be assigned to Command-P.
                  >
                  > A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.
                  >
                  > John R.

                  Dear John,

                  Your macro comes in very handy (thanks a lot) and you were right to
                  go with the 5 zoomlevels that are OK. Determining these zoomlevels
                  has been a matter of trial & error and I do not know if they are OK
                  for other lettertypes. I think it may depend on the font.

                  Removing the checkmark next to Fractional Character Widths is no
                  solution. In fact it should be ON! Fractional Widths improve the
                  on-screen view at these five zoom levels even a bit more. When
                  printing I turn it off, depending on the text/lay-out.

                  Removing the checkmark beside Smooth All Fonts did nothing.

                  Thanks to everybody,

                  Michiel