Re: Newbie with WP iMac OSX display problem

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, michielhvr <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac
      > (updated). There's an on-screen/display-problem however:
      > letters will sometimes be overwritten by other letters, spacings
      > disappear visibly and the cursor is not always diplayed were it
      > actually is. Printing works fine, so it's a display-problem.
      >
      > This problem is at its worst using Helvetica font and will
      > sometimes be solved converting to Times but all of my archive
      > from my old WPMac is in Helvetica.
      >
      > Changing zoom-levels helps: 140, 159 and 177% are sort of OK and
      >186, 195, 204, 213 and 222% are best. Adding one % zoom to these
      > levels distorts the displayed text again.

      Display has never been very good, especially at different
      magnifications. You could stick with the several good ones; a
      macro could switch most easily among them. Try:

      Menu (Var00;"Set Magnification";{"186";"195";"204";"213";"222"})
      Case (Var00;{1;186;2;195;3;204;4;213;5;222};cancel)
      ;
      Label (186)
      Magnification (186.0)
      Go (end)
      ;
      Label (195)
      Magnification (195.0)
      Go (end)
      ;
      Label (204)
      Magnification (204.0)
      Go (end)
      ;
      Label (213)
      Magnification (213.0)
      Go (end)
      ;
      Label (222)
      Magnification (222.0)
      Go (end)
      ;
      Label (end)
      Display (On)

      You could use "John's WP MetaMacro", in the Files section here and at
      ftp.r8ix.com, to change the font in all your docs from Helvetica to
      something else in one action. OSX comes with a good set of fonts in
      Classic, and some of the old ones don't look as good as they used to.
      I used to use Geneva when on OS 8.6 for the default editing font,
      and have changed to Stone Sans on my G4 iMac.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
        Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
        dialog. If so, clear it.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
          Here's a slight revision to the magnification level macro, to adjust
          the window size to match:

[...]
          ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)
          Display (On)

          John R.
        • Barney Christianson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
            >Hi everyone,
            >
            >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac
            >(updated). There's an on-
            >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be
            >overwritten by other letters,
            >spacings disappear visibly and the cursor is not always diplayed
            >were it actually is. Printing
            >works fine, so it's a display-problem.
            >
            >This problem is at its worst using Helvetica font and will sometimes
            >be solved converting
            >to Times but all of my archive from my old WP Mac is in Helvetica.
            >
            >Changing zoom-levels helps: 140, 159 and 177% are sort of OK and
            >186, 195, 204, 213
            >and 222% are best. Adding one % zoom to these levels distorts the
            >displayed text again.
            >
            >Is anyone familiar with the problem? Is there a fix? I contacted
            >Edward Mendelson, who
            >advised my to seek for help on this forum.

            I had a similar problem with OS X and WP and fixed it as follows.With
            WP running so you have a proper Apple pull-down menu on the upper
            left corner of the screen...

            Apple Menu --> Control Panels --> Appearance --> click the FONTS tab
            --> remove the check mark beside Smooth All Fonts On Screen

            Hope it helpls.

            --
            Barney

            Every farmer knows that any jack-ass can kick a barn down.

          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2005
              michielhvr said:

              >I'm new to Mac OSX with an iMac G5 20" using WP 3.5 for Mac (updated).
              >There's an on-
              >screen/display-problem however: letters will sometimes be overwritten by
              >other letters,

              I used to have this problem frequently when using WordPerfect/Mac, under
              OS 8.6 (this was before there was an OS X), and it drove me crazy when I
              was writing an important document. At times I would just have to give up
              on using WP/Mac to write an important document, because the overlapping
              text made it impossible to edit.

              I never did find a reliable solution to the problem.

              Randy B. Singer

              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
                wrote:

                > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
                > dialog. If so, clear it.

                Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
                macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
                fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to fixed.
                The macro could be assigned to Command-P.

                A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.

                John R.
              • michielhvr
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2005
                  Thanks for all the help. I will have more time to look into the fix
                  later this week so I will let you know what did best.

                  Thx, Michiel
                • michielhvr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2005
                    <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Do you have fractional Character Widths ticked in the Page Setup
                    > > dialog. If so, clear it.
                    >
                    > Another good tip from Geoff. You know, it would be easy to write a
                    > macro that, when you want to print, sets Character Widths to
                    > fractional, then calls the Print dialog, then sets them back to
                    fixed.
                    > The macro could be assigned to Command-P.
                    >
                    > A similar macro could do as much for Print One Copy.
                    >
                    > John R.

                    Dear John,

                    Your macro comes in very handy (thanks a lot) and you were right to
                    go with the 5 zoomlevels that are OK. Determining these zoomlevels
                    has been a matter of trial & error and I do not know if they are OK
                    for other lettertypes. I think it may depend on the font.

                    Removing the checkmark next to Fractional Character Widths is no
                    solution. In fact it should be ON! Fractional Widths improve the
                    on-screen view at these five zoom levels even a bit more. When
                    printing I turn it off, depending on the text/lay-out.

                    Removing the checkmark beside Smooth All Fonts did nothing.

                    Thanks to everybody,

                    Michiel