Re: opening txt

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
      wrote:
      > Starmax. That takes me back.
      > You're right that WP reads the whole thing into memory at the start,
      > so a greater memory allocation to WP should help.
      >
      > Geoff

      Thanks to you and John. I've found I must allocate slightly more
      memory than the file size. Then WP will open a 12 MB file in 5
      seconds. My years with Word 5 made me blind to the obvious.

      OS 8.6 says an application will require a little more memory if VM is
      turned off. 9.1 says it will require a lot more memory, maybe twice as
      much, if VM is turned off or the application is moved to another disk.
      I don't understand why VM makes a bigger difference in 9.1 or why it
      matters where the application is saved.

      Stephen T.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:

        > My years with Word 5 made me blind to the obvious.

        We all have stories of recovery. I wrote my M.A. thesis on Word 3,
        and lived to tell about it. Thanks to Geoff for the right answer -
        RAM allocation - rather than my knee-jerk reaction to delete the
        Prefs file.