AbiWord 2.2.4

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
      AbiWord 2.2.4 (freeware) opens WP 3.5e, but it strips footnotes and
      imports tables as text.

      We live in hope ....

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:
        > AbiWord 2.2.4 (freeware) opens WP 3.5e, but it strips footnotes and
        > imports tables as text.
        >
        > We live in hope ....
        >
        > Geoff

        I haven't kept up with what DataViz can do. But it was nice to
        (finally) upgrade to OSX and see that WP > RTF > TextEdit
        > Word and back is seamless. I'm trying to Applescript it:
        drop a Word doc on a droplet and see it open in WP. It appears
        that Textedit's scripting command set doesn't (yet) match its
        UI (menus etc.) set.

        One question is whether Apple will release Tiger, hopefully
        with better Textedit scripting, before I learn how to script
        the UI. Betting window is over there . . . :-)

        John R.
      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:
          > AbiWord 2.2.4 (freeware) opens WP 3.5e, but it strips footnotes and
          > imports tables as text.

          Yep. AbiWord's WP import is based on the same libwpd library as
          NeoOffice/J (and the "forthcoming" OpenOffice.org 2.0)'s import. So
          they'll all advance at more-or-less the same speed. libwpd-0.8.0 was
          released earlier this month, and NeoOffice/J and AbiWord released
          updates incorporating the new version within a day of each other (Abi
          making the jump from no WP-Mac support to the same level already
          present in Neo/J).

          > We live in hope ....

          Most of us will likely not be much of a help, but the libwpd folks
          would like to have some more programmers working on it, and that
          would improve the speed at which features of the WP-Mac file formats
          get converted properly--particularly if he/she were a Mac-user.
          There are essentially three guys working on the core library and the
          Abi and OOo importers (in their spare time's spare time) :-)

          So if you know a hacker who's interested...<http://libwpd.sf.net/> I
          think libwpd is pretty much the only alternative to DataViz or
          WP-Mac's existing conversions--and it will likely be the only one to
          provide an easy conversion to new and emerging non-MS open file
          formats.

          Best,
          Smokey

          P.S. I see Geoff's message went to both lists. Now that WP-L is
          back up, will we continue posting to both lists or will the Yahoo
          list return to being primarily an archive (and backup) or ?
          --
          Smokey Ardisson
          Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
            <alqahira@m...> wrote:

            > P.S. I see Geoff's message went to both lists. Now that WP-L is
            > back up, will we continue posting to both lists or will the Yahoo
            > list return to being primarily an archive (and backup) or ?

            I got several messages from WP-L earlier this week, but didn't get
            Geoff's message there.

            John R.
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2005
              In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
              ><alqahira@m...> wrote:
              >
              >> P.S. I see Geoff's message went to both lists. Now that WP-L is
              >> back up, will we continue posting to both lists or will the Yahoo
              >> list return to being primarily an archive (and backup) or ?
              >
              >I got several messages from WP-L earlier this week, but didn't get
              >Geoff's message there.

              I didn't get it "because" I'm still on digest on WP-L, but I noticed
              in the message headers from this list that Geoff had sent the message
              to both lists, and I assumed the next time I got a digest from WP-L
              it would be there.... Oh well.

              I assume that means this (wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com) is really
              the main list now?

              Smokey
              --
              Smokey Ardisson
              Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
              Georgetown University
              alqahira@...
              http://www.geocities.com/sardisson/
            • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2005
                Actually no. Each group is suposed to be equal.

                I think that the yahoo group was to a backup to the WP-L group.

                however; about the time this group got started. the WP-L group's Server
                went south. and it took Arron wile to get it going again.

                Smokey Ardisson wrote:
                > In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
                > ><alqahira@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> P.S. I see Geoff's message went to both lists. Now that WP-L is
                > >> back up, will we continue posting to both lists or will the Yahoo
                > >> list return to being primarily an archive (and backup) or ?
                > >
                > >I got several messages from WP-L earlier this week, but didn't get
                > >Geoff's message there.
                >
                > I didn't get it "because" I'm still on digest on WP-L, but I noticed
                > in the message headers from this list that Geoff had sent the message
                > to both lists, and I assumed the next time I got a digest from WP-L
                > it would be there.... Oh well.
                >
                > I assume that means this (wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com) is really
                > the main list now?
                >
                > Smokey
                > --
                > Smokey Ardisson
                > Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
                > Georgetown University
                > alqahira@...
                > http://www.geocities.com/sardisson/
                >
                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > click here
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12927k3ac/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109430362/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                mailto:pjones@...

                <http://vpea.exis.net>