opening txt

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
      I downloaded a couple of .txt documents of 12 MB each. MS Word 5 would
      display them instantly. Each time I tried with WP, it displayed a
      spinning globe until I forced a quit after a few minutes.

      WP instantly displayed another .txt document of 400 kB.

      I tried an 8 KB readme which Simpletext shows as plain text. All I got
      with WP was a spinning globe.

      Why would WP have trouble with some of these files?
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
        I have a couple of 12 MB txt files which MS Word will display
        instantly.

        With WP under OS 9.1, all I get is a spinning globe until I force a
        quit after several minutes. WP will open a small txt file. What's
        more, WP will open the big txt files under OS 8.6.

        What could be wrong?
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
          > I have a couple of 12 MB txt files which MS Word will display
          > instantly.
          >
          > With WP under OS 9.1, all I get is a spinning globe until I force a
          > quit after several minutes. WP will open a small txt file. What's
          > more, WP will open the big txt files under OS 8.6.

          The first thing I'd try is quitting WP and deleting the Prefs file.

          Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
          http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2005
            And possibly upgrading to 9.2.2.

            Geoff

            > > I have a couple of 12 MB txt files which MS Word will display
            >> instantly.
            >>
            >> With WP under OS 9.1, all I get is a spinning globe until I force a
            >> quit after several minutes. WP will open a small txt file. What's
            >> more, WP will open the big txt files under OS 8.6.
            >
            >The first thing I'd try is quitting WP and deleting the Prefs file.
            >
            >John R.
            >--

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...>
              wrote:
              > > I have a couple of 12 MB txt files which MS Word will display
              > > instantly.
              > >
              > > With WP under OS 9.1, all I get is a spinning globe until I force a
              > > quit after several minutes. WP will open a small txt file. What's
              > > more, WP will open the big txt files under OS 8.6.
              >
              > The first thing I'd try is quitting WP and deleting the Prefs file.
              >
              > John R.

              Thanks. In the WP prefs folder, first I deleted the prefs, then both
              the prefs and the library. Neither worked. I see the new library is
              smaller. Is it safe to empty the trash with the old library?

              CW 5 would give me a progress bar and quickly abort the attempt. As
              it's a 12 MB file, I increased the preferred memory from 2.5 to 12.5
              MB. I tried again. I couldn't switch to the finder to see if I was
              using up the allocated memory. In 8 minutes the progress bar indicated
              the process was about 75% complete. Then it aborted. So maybe CW 5
              could do it with enough time and memory.

              I don't know if that's a clue about WP, but WP will open the document
              under OS 8.6. If I restart after trying to open it in OS 9.1, the
              Rescued folder in the Trash will contain four small WP files and two of
              about 8 MB each. This will happen whether I let the globe spin three
              minutes or six minutes.

              MS Word 5 has only 1 MB allotted. It will present the document
              immediately although pagination continues several minutes. I think
              maybe Word can work with a document withoug loading the whole thing at
              once.

              Stephen T.
            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
                I have a StarMax. A few have gotten 9.2 to run on a StarMax, but a lot
                of savvy users have failed. Nobody seems to know why.

                Stephen

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
                  Starmax. That takes me back.
                  You're right that WP reads the whole thing into memory at the start,
                  so a greater memory allocation to WP should help.

                  Geoff

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:

                    > In the WP prefs folder, first I deleted the prefs, then both
                    > the prefs and the library. Neither worked. I see the new library
                    > is smaller. Is it safe to empty the trash with the old library?

                    The Library shouldn't matter here, but it contains whatever styles,
                    macros and other resources you've added since you started using
                    WP. If you've added any, drag the library out to the desktop and,
                    using the Librarian, copy the resources from there into your new
                    library.

                    N.B. This is a good idea in any case, every few months or so. Any
                    file can become corrupted with use.

                    > CW 5 would give me a progress bar and quickly abort the attempt.
                    > As it's a 12 MB file, I increased the preferred memory from 2.5 to
                    > 12.5 MB.

                    Aha. As Geoff says, you need a larger memory allocation than that.

                    John R.
                  • Stephen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
                      wrote:
                      > Starmax. That takes me back.
                      > You're right that WP reads the whole thing into memory at the start,
                      > so a greater memory allocation to WP should help.
                      >
                      > Geoff

                      Thanks to you and John. I've found I must allocate slightly more
                      memory than the file size. Then WP will open a 12 MB file in 5
                      seconds. My years with Word 5 made me blind to the obvious.

                      OS 8.6 says an application will require a little more memory if VM is
                      turned off. 9.1 says it will require a lot more memory, maybe twice as
                      much, if VM is turned off or the application is moved to another disk.
                      I don't understand why VM makes a bigger difference in 9.1 or why it
                      matters where the application is saved.

                      Stephen T.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:

                        > My years with Word 5 made me blind to the obvious.

                        We all have stories of recovery. I wrote my M.A. thesis on Word 3,
                        and lived to tell about it. Thanks to Geoff for the right answer -
                        RAM allocation - rather than my knee-jerk reaction to delete the
                        Prefs file.