Re: MS Word 5 files

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
      > > > I also have Macintosh Easy Open 1.1.1 and Mac OS
      > > > Easy Open 1.1.3;
      > >
      > > For general use, I'd toss the older of the two.
      > >
      > > But for WP, try going to Edit > Prefs > Files and _unchecking_ Use Easy Open.
      > > Quit and restart WP.
      >
      > It worked, thanks a lot! I got rid of both Easy Open control panels. Apparently
      > they were useless under OS 9.

      They may still be useful - anyone know? But it's been my experience that two
      versions of a control panel can conflict.

      Speaking specifically of WP, I've found that some files open better with the
      Pref checked and some with it unchecked. IAC it's easier to toggle that checkbox
      than to move a control panel and restart.

      John R.
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

> [...]
        [...]
        > > It worked, thanks a lot! I got rid of both Easy Open control panels. Apparently
        > > they were useless under OS 9.
        >
        > They may still be useful - anyone know? But it's been my experience that two
        > versions of a control panel can conflict.

        The user-accessible part of Easy Open moved into File Exchange in OS 9.x, so those control panels are truly superfluous.

        BTW, I had (still have in my Classic folder) the extensions MacLinkPlus for Easy Open, MacLinkPlus WordPerfect 3, and MacLinkPlus for AppleWorks all active at the same time with no problems using MLP or the translators in WP 3.5.4/3.5e or AW 6, so I doubt there's a conflict causing the problems.

        Smokey
      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Smokey Ardisson" <
          alqahira@m...> wrote:

          > The user-accessible part of Easy Open moved into File Exchange in OS 9.x, so those control panels are truly superfluous.
          >
          > BTW, I had (still have in my Classic folder) the extensions MacLinkPlus for Easy Open, MacLinkPlus WordPerfect 3, and MacLinkPlus for AppleWorks all active at the same time with no problems using MLP or the translators in WP 3.5.4/3.5e or AW 6, so I doubt there's a conflict causing the problems.
          >
          > Smokey

          A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
          Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
          got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
          a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.

          I added that extension again today. The same thing happened. I don't
          know why I have trouble and you don't.

          Stephen
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2005
            In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@...> wrote:

            >A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
            >Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
            >got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
            >a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.

            Does the MLP for Easy Open extension match the version of MLP that
            you have installed? And is that version of MLP compatible with OS 9?
            Those could conceivably be problems. My MLP version is 12.002, which
            is know was not the last version compatible with OS 9....

            I'm really puzzled as to why your Finder preferences get replaced....

            Sorry I'm more of a red herring than a help here. I've been on OS X
            for a year and a half now and my store of OS 9 knowledge has rapidly
            dissipated....

            Smokey
            --
            Smokey Ardisson
            Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2005
              wrote:
              > In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:
              >
              > >A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
              > >Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
              > >got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
              > >a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.
              >
              > Does the MLP for Easy Open extension match the version of MLP that
              > you have installed? And is that version of MLP compatible with OS 9?
              > Those could conceivably be problems. My MLP version is 12.002, which
              > is know was not the last version compatible with OS 9....
              >
              > I'm really puzzled as to why your Finder preferences get replaced....
              >
              > Sorry I'm more of a red herring than a help here. I've been on OS X
              > for a year and a half now and my store of OS 9 knowledge has rapidly
              > dissipated....

              The first time, I had two Easy Open control panels, both switched off.
              The second time, I'd used Extensions Manager to move both to the
              disabled folder.

              The MLP for Easy Open is 9.0.2 from 1997.

              I had also removed MLP for Claris Works 68k. I don't know why Claris
              Works 5 installed it a 68k extension, but the application seems to
              convert fine without it. That's version 9.70.

              MLP for WP remains. It's Version 1.30 from 1995.

              In my control panels I have MLP Setup for CW. It doesn't seem to do
              anything I care about.

              I don't understand these things.

              Stephen