Re: MS Word 5 files

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...>
      wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have OS 9.1 and WordPerfect with the OS 8/9 update. It wouldn't
      > > recognize Word 5 files.
      > >
      > > I downloaded a folder called something like "Conversions 2", hid
      > the
      > > original Conversions folder, put the new one in my WP folder, and
      > moved
      > > one file to my extensions. It still won't recognize Word 5 files.
      > >
      > > What must I do?
      >
      > Have you renamed the new folder to "Conversions"? The name needs to
      > be exact.
      >
      > Let me know if this works, and I'll add a readme to it.
      >
      > John R.

      I renamed it at the time. I've double checked.

      When it put the Maclink Plus extension for WordPerfect, I got a
      conflict and had to disable the Maclink Plus extension Easy Open that
      Claris Works 5 installed. Claris will still open my MS Word documents.

      There's a strange situation in my control panels. I guess OS 9 came
      with File Exchange. I also have Macintosh Easy Open 1.1.1 and Mac OS
      Easy Open 1.1.3; I think CW and WP installed them. Both are switched
      off. File Exchange can't open its preferences. I imagine conflicts
      from installing CW and WP corrupted the file. Deleting it would
      probably help, but I'm confused about all these panels and extensions.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:
        > I also have Macintosh Easy Open 1.1.1 and Mac OS
        > Easy Open 1.1.3;

        For general use, I'd toss the older of the two.

        But for WP, try going to Edit > Prefs > Files and _unchecking_ Use Easy Open. Quit and
        restart WP.

        John R.
      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:
          > > I also have Macintosh Easy Open 1.1.1 and Mac OS
          > > Easy Open 1.1.3;
          >
          > For general use, I'd toss the older of the two.
          >
          > But for WP, try going to Edit > Prefs > Files and _unchecking_ Use Easy Open. Quit and
          > restart WP.
          >
          > John R.

          It worked, thanks a lot! I got rid of both Easy Open control panels. Apparently they were useless under OS 9.

          Stephen
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
            > > > I also have Macintosh Easy Open 1.1.1 and Mac OS
            > > > Easy Open 1.1.3;
            > >
            > > For general use, I'd toss the older of the two.
            > >
            > > But for WP, try going to Edit > Prefs > Files and _unchecking_ Use Easy Open.
            > > Quit and restart WP.
            >
            > It worked, thanks a lot! I got rid of both Easy Open control panels. Apparently
            > they were useless under OS 9.

            They may still be useful - anyone know? But it's been my experience that two
            versions of a control panel can conflict.

            Speaking specifically of WP, I've found that some files open better with the
            Pref checked and some with it unchecked. IAC it's easier to toggle that checkbox
            than to move a control panel and restart.

            John R.
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005

              [...]
              > > It worked, thanks a lot! I got rid of both Easy Open control panels. Apparently
              > > they were useless under OS 9.
              >
              > They may still be useful - anyone know? But it's been my experience that two
              > versions of a control panel can conflict.

              The user-accessible part of Easy Open moved into File Exchange in OS 9.x, so those control panels are truly superfluous.

              BTW, I had (still have in my Classic folder) the extensions MacLinkPlus for Easy Open, MacLinkPlus WordPerfect 3, and MacLinkPlus for AppleWorks all active at the same time with no problems using MLP or the translators in WP 3.5.4/3.5e or AW 6, so I doubt there's a conflict causing the problems.

              Smokey
            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Smokey Ardisson" <
                alqahira@m...> wrote:

                > The user-accessible part of Easy Open moved into File Exchange in OS 9.x, so those control panels are truly superfluous.
                >
                > BTW, I had (still have in my Classic folder) the extensions MacLinkPlus for Easy Open, MacLinkPlus WordPerfect 3, and MacLinkPlus for AppleWorks all active at the same time with no problems using MLP or the translators in WP 3.5.4/3.5e or AW 6, so I doubt there's a conflict causing the problems.
                >
                > Smokey

                A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
                Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
                got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
                a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.

                I added that extension again today. The same thing happened. I don't
                know why I have trouble and you don't.

                Stephen
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2005
                  In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@...> wrote:

                  >A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
                  >Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
                  >got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
                  >a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.

                  Does the MLP for Easy Open extension match the version of MLP that
                  you have installed? And is that version of MLP compatible with OS 9?
                  Those could conceivably be problems. My MLP version is 12.002, which
                  is know was not the last version compatible with OS 9....

                  I'm really puzzled as to why your Finder preferences get replaced....

                  Sorry I'm more of a red herring than a help here. I've been on OS X
                  for a year and a half now and my store of OS 9 knowledge has rapidly
                  dissipated....

                  Smokey
                  --
                  Smokey Ardisson
                  Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <wago295@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >A few days ago when WP wouldn't open MS Word 5, I found MacLinkPlus for
                    > >Easy Open in an old startup folder. I added it to my OS9 folder. I
                    > >got startup freezes. After starting with extensions off to remove it,
                    > >a message told me my Finder Preferences had been replaced.
                    >
                    > Does the MLP for Easy Open extension match the version of MLP that
                    > you have installed? And is that version of MLP compatible with OS 9?
                    > Those could conceivably be problems. My MLP version is 12.002, which
                    > is know was not the last version compatible with OS 9....
                    >
                    > I'm really puzzled as to why your Finder preferences get replaced....
                    >
                    > Sorry I'm more of a red herring than a help here. I've been on OS X
                    > for a year and a half now and my store of OS 9 knowledge has rapidly
                    > dissipated....

                    The first time, I had two Easy Open control panels, both switched off.
                    The second time, I'd used Extensions Manager to move both to the
                    disabled folder.

                    The MLP for Easy Open is 9.0.2 from 1997.

                    I had also removed MLP for Claris Works 68k. I don't know why Claris
                    Works 5 installed it a 68k extension, but the application seems to
                    convert fine without it. That's version 9.70.

                    MLP for WP remains. It's Version 1.30 from 1995.

                    In my control panels I have MLP Setup for CW. It doesn't seem to do
                    anything I care about.

                    I don't understand these things.

                    Stephen