Re: [wordperfectmac] New to WPMac, Old WPDOS user

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14 9:10 PM
      In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tfrevor" <tfr2@c...> wrote:
      >
      > > 2) Any documents that I create have no problem being read by the
      >DOS versions. But
      > > any documents they create are not even being listed to open when
      >transferred to my
      > > machine. I'm pretty sure that it's more a Classic problem that
      >WPMac itself.
      >
      >Your Conversions folder may be lacking the DOS conversions.

      In addition to John R's tip about needing the conversion filters, one
      thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
      Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
      how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
      not be getting set.

      There are a number of ways to go about fixing this. If you only open
      documents via double-clicking, selecting a document in the Finder and
      doing "Get Info" (cmd-i) and changing "Open With" to WordPerfect
      (you'll probably have to choose "Other" and then navigate to WP) and
      clicking "Change All" will fix things most of the time (although I
      have a couple of WP9 or 10 documents that will crash during
      conversion without a type code and don't crash when a type code is
      added).

      If you want to open documents via WP's File: Open dialogue, the
      documents will need a type code added. I'd recommend using MisFox
      <http://www.clauss-net.de/misfox/misfox.html> and set up (or change)
      the File Mappings settings for .wpd (or whatever other extension you
      use on your DOS docs). Add the MIME type application/vnd.wordperfect
      if you ever get an WP docs from the internet. For creator, navigate
      to your copy of WP. That should fill in the Creator Code WPC2; make
      sure you add the File Type code WPPC for that field. Tick "Binary
      file (no conversion allowed)" and "Data fork is significant", then
      OK, and you're done.

      In theory, all the docs will now get type codes when they arrive on
      your computer, but it really depends on how they arrive...some apps,
      mostly Apple's and Cocoa apps, don't follow Apple's guidelines and
      set the creator code on files when they arrive. There are a number
      of apps that will allow you to add the creator (FileInfo
      <http://www.panix.com/~shopsinm/>, File Adopter
      <http://c-command.com/file-adopter/>, etc.), although I don't like
      any of them terribly well. John R. can probably whip up a nice
      AppleScript to do it, too (I tried, but mine didn't work...).

      Best,
      Smokey
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15 12:17 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:

        >WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
        >Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
        >how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
        >not be getting set.

        Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the Files section here?

        John R.
      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16 4:42 PM
          In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:
          >
          >>WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
          >>Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
          >>how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
          >>not be getting set.
          >
          >Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the
          >Files section here?

          Absolutely! Always glad to be useful :-)

          Smokey
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17 6:41 PM
            <alqahira@m...> wrote:

            > one
            > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
            valid
            > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
            > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
            > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
            > AppleScript…

            I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
            showing startup screen:

            to run
            display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
            "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
            {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
            end run

            to open {theDrop}
            set dropInfo to info for theDrop

            if folder of dropInfo then
            display dialog "Please drop a file on me, not" & ¬
            "a folder." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 ¬
            with icon stop
            return
            end if

            tell application "Finder"
            try
            set creator type of theDrop to "WPC2"
            set file type of theDrop to "WPPC"
            on error m number n
            display dialog "Error " & (n as string) & ":" & ¬
            return & return & m buttons {"OK"} ¬
            default button 1 with icon caution
            end try
            end tell
            end open
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18 3:15 AM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson wrote:
              >
              > > one
              > > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
              > > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
              > > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
              > > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
              > > AppleScript…
              >
              > I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
              > showing startup screen:
              >
              > to run
              > display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
              > "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
              > {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
              > end run

              FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes and the script compiled.

              John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

              I also discovered the stupid error that was keeping the script I was working on from working, so I present my solution below. John R's script is a lot more sophisticated (it has all the error reporting and "don't double-click me or give me folders" stuff), and there are probably other ways in which it is better than mine (I'm very much an amatuer still). However, I have one check he doesn't include :-) which might help if one has WP files stuck among other assorted files (but not if the DOS WP docs don't have extensions!). If your DOS WP files have different extensions, just add or modify the list--omitting the period! :-)

              As with John R's, save as an applet without showing startup screen. (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

              Smokey

              --set type/creator on PC WP files so WP-Mac can open them properly
              --only act on files with extensions indicating likely Win/DOS WP file

              property extensionList : {"wpd", "wp", "wp5", "wp6"} ¬
              --needs to exclude the period!

              on open fileList
              repeat with theFile in fileList
              tell application "Finder"
              if the name extension of theFile is in the ¬
              extensionList then
              set file type of theFile to "WPPC"
              set creator type of theFile to "WPC2"
              end if
              end tell
              end repeat
              end open
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18 11:22 AM
                <alqahira@m...> wrote:

                > FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and
                > WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes
                > and the script compiled.

                I used smart quotes in the editor; the net changed them to plain
                quotes and I didn't notice. Sorry. It's also possible to use plain
                quotes in a script by using the escape character, e.g.
                "the code \"WPPC\" represents file type."

                > John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

                No, although it could be made to do so, and to walk folders too. I
                worry a little about scripts that are too-powerful, where a user
                could select all files in a folder and drop them on this script.
                Their creators and types are all changed, including the two files
                from another app the user mistakenly put in that folder. Without a
                third file of that type as a reference, the user doesn't know what to
                change them back to and so can't open them.

                > (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking
                >scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

                That would be a good addition.