Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ted Goranson <tedg@a...> wrote:
      > Ted Goranson here, new to this group today.
      >
      > I wrote a little piece about WPMac in my ATPO column:
      >
      > <http://www.atpm.com/10.03/atpo.shtml>
      >
      > which some of you may have seen. Since then, I've decided to
      > repurpose my old Pismo and install WP and FrameMaker. Probably a
      few
      > of the legacy outliners as well.
      >
      > Any gotchas I should look out for? Is there a FAQ.

      Hi Ted!

      Your ATPO piece is already listed in the Links section here.

      No other gotchas that I know of . . . :-)

      There's no FAQ, but "John's WP Tips & Macros 1.9" in the Files
      section here is a start. An
      in-depth discussion of "WP and OSX" is at the link of that name in
      the Links section. Note
      esp. how to recreate Print to PDF, and font issues.

      The 23 mb of discussion over 8 years of the original WP list, plus
      the WP Mac News, plus
      my book, are all searchable in the Messages section. FAQ? Who needs a
      FAQ?

      Good to see you,
      John
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2005
        In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tfrevor" <tfr2@c...> wrote:
        >
        > > 2) Any documents that I create have no problem being read by the
        >DOS versions. But
        > > any documents they create are not even being listed to open when
        >transferred to my
        > > machine. I'm pretty sure that it's more a Classic problem that
        >WPMac itself.
        >
        >Your Conversions folder may be lacking the DOS conversions.

        In addition to John R's tip about needing the conversion filters, one
        thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
        Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
        how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
        not be getting set.

        There are a number of ways to go about fixing this. If you only open
        documents via double-clicking, selecting a document in the Finder and
        doing "Get Info" (cmd-i) and changing "Open With" to WordPerfect
        (you'll probably have to choose "Other" and then navigate to WP) and
        clicking "Change All" will fix things most of the time (although I
        have a couple of WP9 or 10 documents that will crash during
        conversion without a type code and don't crash when a type code is
        added).

        If you want to open documents via WP's File: Open dialogue, the
        documents will need a type code added. I'd recommend using MisFox
        <http://www.clauss-net.de/misfox/misfox.html> and set up (or change)
        the File Mappings settings for .wpd (or whatever other extension you
        use on your DOS docs). Add the MIME type application/vnd.wordperfect
        if you ever get an WP docs from the internet. For creator, navigate
        to your copy of WP. That should fill in the Creator Code WPC2; make
        sure you add the File Type code WPPC for that field. Tick "Binary
        file (no conversion allowed)" and "Data fork is significant", then
        OK, and you're done.

        In theory, all the docs will now get type codes when they arrive on
        your computer, but it really depends on how they arrive...some apps,
        mostly Apple's and Cocoa apps, don't follow Apple's guidelines and
        set the creator code on files when they arrive. There are a number
        of apps that will allow you to add the creator (FileInfo
        <http://www.panix.com/~shopsinm/>, File Adopter
        <http://c-command.com/file-adopter/>, etc.), although I don't like
        any of them terribly well. John R. can probably whip up a nice
        AppleScript to do it, too (I tried, but mine didn't work...).

        Best,
        Smokey
        --
        Smokey Ardisson
        Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 15, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:

          >WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
          >Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
          >how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
          >not be getting set.

          Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the Files section here?

          John R.
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 16, 2005
            In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:
            >
            >>WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
            >>Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
            >>how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
            >>not be getting set.
            >
            >Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the
            >Files section here?

            Absolutely! Always glad to be useful :-)

            Smokey
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
              <alqahira@m...> wrote:

              > one
              > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
              valid
              > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
              > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
              > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
              > AppleScript…

              I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
              showing startup screen:

              to run
              display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
              "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
              {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
              end run

              to open {theDrop}
              set dropInfo to info for theDrop

              if folder of dropInfo then
              display dialog "Please drop a file on me, not" & ¬
              "a folder." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 ¬
              with icon stop
              return
              end if

              tell application "Finder"
              try
              set creator type of theDrop to "WPC2"
              set file type of theDrop to "WPPC"
              on error m number n
              display dialog "Error " & (n as string) & ":" & ¬
              return & return & m buttons {"OK"} ¬
              default button 1 with icon caution
              end try
              end tell
              end open
            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson wrote:
                >
                > > one
                > > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
                > > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
                > > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
                > > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
                > > AppleScript…
                >
                > I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
                > showing startup screen:
                >
                > to run
                > display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
                > "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
                > {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
                > end run

                FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes and the script compiled.

                John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

                I also discovered the stupid error that was keeping the script I was working on from working, so I present my solution below. John R's script is a lot more sophisticated (it has all the error reporting and "don't double-click me or give me folders" stuff), and there are probably other ways in which it is better than mine (I'm very much an amatuer still). However, I have one check he doesn't include :-) which might help if one has WP files stuck among other assorted files (but not if the DOS WP docs don't have extensions!). If your DOS WP files have different extensions, just add or modify the list--omitting the period! :-)

                As with John R's, save as an applet without showing startup screen. (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

                Smokey

                --set type/creator on PC WP files so WP-Mac can open them properly
                --only act on files with extensions indicating likely Win/DOS WP file

                property extensionList : {"wpd", "wp", "wp5", "wp6"} ¬
                --needs to exclude the period!

                on open fileList
                repeat with theFile in fileList
                tell application "Finder"
                if the name extension of theFile is in the ¬
                extensionList then
                set file type of theFile to "WPPC"
                set creator type of theFile to "WPC2"
                end if
                end tell
                end repeat
                end open
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
                  <alqahira@m...> wrote:

                  > FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and
                  > WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes
                  > and the script compiled.

                  I used smart quotes in the editor; the net changed them to plain
                  quotes and I didn't notice. Sorry. It's also possible to use plain
                  quotes in a script by using the escape character, e.g.
                  "the code \"WPPC\" represents file type."

                  > John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

                  No, although it could be made to do so, and to walk folders too. I
                  worry a little about scripts that are too-powerful, where a user
                  could select all files in a folder and drop them on this script.
                  Their creators and types are all changed, including the two files
                  from another app the user mistakenly put in that folder. Without a
                  third file of that type as a reference, the user doesn't know what to
                  change them back to and so can't open them.

                  > (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking
                  >scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

                  That would be a good addition.