New to WPMac, Old WPDOS user

  • tfrevor
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2005
      Hi. I'm new to the group -- and WP/Mac as well -- and I've run up with a couple of
      problems that I was hoping y'all might be able to help me out with.

      My office primarily uses WordPerfect 6 for DOS (although we are finally migrating up to
      WP12). I'm the only Mac User, so I've been limping along with Virtual PC. I would prefer to
      use the Mac version, but have run across a couple of problems.

      1) I was wondering if anyone has a keyboard map to that I can use the WPDOS layout
      instead of the default layout for WPMac, and

      2) Any documents that I create have no problem being read by the DOS versions. But any
      documents they create are not even being listed to open when transferred to my machine.
      I'm pretty sure that it's more a Classic problem that WPMac itself.

      Thanks for any assistance.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tfrevor" <tfr2@c...> wrote:

        > 1) I was wondering if anyone has a keyboard map to that I can use
        the WPDOS layout
        > instead of the default layout for WPMac, and

        WPMac came with a DOS 5.1 keyboard map. I don't have a copy, but
        someone on this list
        might, or it should be part of the free download. If anyone can send
        me the maps that
        came with WP, I'll post them in the Files section here.

        > 2) Any documents that I create have no problem being read by the
        DOS versions. But
        > any documents they create are not even being listed to open when
        transferred to my
        > machine. I'm pretty sure that it's more a Classic problem that
        WPMac itself.

        Your Conversions folder may be lacking the DOS conversions. Download
        "WP Conversions
        2.0" from the Conversions folder in the Files section here at Yahoo.
        Or, you haven't set the
        WordPerfect folder in Edit > Preferences > Folders. This should be
        set to the folder
        containing the conversions folder (and language and help folders).

        John R.
      • Ted Goranson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2005
          Ted Goranson here, new to this group today.

          I wrote a little piece about WPMac in my ATPO column:

          <http://www.atpm.com/10.03/atpo.shtml>

          which some of you may have seen. Since then, I've decided to
          repurpose my old Pismo and install WP and FrameMaker. Probably a few
          of the legacy outliners as well.

          Any gotchas I should look out for? Is there a FAQ.

          Best, Ted
          --
          Ted Goranson
          Advanced Enterprise Research Office
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ted Goranson <tedg@a...> wrote:
            > Ted Goranson here, new to this group today.
            >
            > I wrote a little piece about WPMac in my ATPO column:
            >
            > <http://www.atpm.com/10.03/atpo.shtml>
            >
            > which some of you may have seen. Since then, I've decided to
            > repurpose my old Pismo and install WP and FrameMaker. Probably a
            few
            > of the legacy outliners as well.
            >
            > Any gotchas I should look out for? Is there a FAQ.

            Hi Ted!

            Your ATPO piece is already listed in the Links section here.

            No other gotchas that I know of . . . :-)

            There's no FAQ, but "John's WP Tips & Macros 1.9" in the Files
            section here is a start. An
            in-depth discussion of "WP and OSX" is at the link of that name in
            the Links section. Note
            esp. how to recreate Print to PDF, and font issues.

            The 23 mb of discussion over 8 years of the original WP list, plus
            the WP Mac News, plus
            my book, are all searchable in the Messages section. FAQ? Who needs a
            FAQ?

            Good to see you,
            John
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2005
              In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tfrevor" <tfr2@c...> wrote:
              >
              > > 2) Any documents that I create have no problem being read by the
              >DOS versions. But
              > > any documents they create are not even being listed to open when
              >transferred to my
              > > machine. I'm pretty sure that it's more a Classic problem that
              >WPMac itself.
              >
              >Your Conversions folder may be lacking the DOS conversions.

              In addition to John R's tip about needing the conversion filters, one
              thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
              Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
              how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
              not be getting set.

              There are a number of ways to go about fixing this. If you only open
              documents via double-clicking, selecting a document in the Finder and
              doing "Get Info" (cmd-i) and changing "Open With" to WordPerfect
              (you'll probably have to choose "Other" and then navigate to WP) and
              clicking "Change All" will fix things most of the time (although I
              have a couple of WP9 or 10 documents that will crash during
              conversion without a type code and don't crash when a type code is
              added).

              If you want to open documents via WP's File: Open dialogue, the
              documents will need a type code added. I'd recommend using MisFox
              <http://www.clauss-net.de/misfox/misfox.html> and set up (or change)
              the File Mappings settings for .wpd (or whatever other extension you
              use on your DOS docs). Add the MIME type application/vnd.wordperfect
              if you ever get an WP docs from the internet. For creator, navigate
              to your copy of WP. That should fill in the Creator Code WPC2; make
              sure you add the File Type code WPPC for that field. Tick "Binary
              file (no conversion allowed)" and "Data fork is significant", then
              OK, and you're done.

              In theory, all the docs will now get type codes when they arrive on
              your computer, but it really depends on how they arrive...some apps,
              mostly Apple's and Cocoa apps, don't follow Apple's guidelines and
              set the creator code on files when they arrive. There are a number
              of apps that will allow you to add the creator (FileInfo
              <http://www.panix.com/~shopsinm/>, File Adopter
              <http://c-command.com/file-adopter/>, etc.), although I don't like
              any of them terribly well. John R. can probably whip up a nice
              AppleScript to do it, too (I tried, but mine didn't work...).

              Best,
              Smokey
              --
              Smokey Ardisson
              Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 15, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:

                >WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
                >Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
                >how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
                >not be getting set.

                Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the Files section here?

                John R.
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 16, 2005
                  In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <alqahira@m...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>WP-Mac requires documents to have valid
                  >>Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
                  >>how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
                  >>not be getting set.
                  >
                  >Great tip, Smokey. May I add it to the Conversions folder in the
                  >Files section here?

                  Absolutely! Always glad to be useful :-)

                  Smokey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 17, 2005
                    <alqahira@m...> wrote:

                    > one
                    > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
                    valid
                    > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
                    > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
                    > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
                    > AppleScript…

                    I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
                    showing startup screen:

                    to run
                    display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
                    "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
                    {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
                    end run

                    to open {theDrop}
                    set dropInfo to info for theDrop

                    if folder of dropInfo then
                    display dialog "Please drop a file on me, not" & ¬
                    "a folder." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 ¬
                    with icon stop
                    return
                    end if

                    tell application "Finder"
                    try
                    set creator type of theDrop to "WPC2"
                    set file type of theDrop to "WPPC"
                    on error m number n
                    display dialog "Error " & (n as string) & ":" & ¬
                    return & return & m buttons {"OK"} ¬
                    default button 1 with icon caution
                    end try
                    end tell
                    end open
                  • Smokey Ardisson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@p...> wrote:

                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson wrote:
                      >
                      > > one
                      > > thing I have noticed is that WP-Mac requires documents to have
                      > > Macintosh type codes (.WP6 or WPPC for WP6 docs), and depending on
                      > > how the WP-DOS files are arriving on your Mac, the type codes might
                      > > not be getting set. John R. can probably whip up a nice
                      > > AppleScript…
                      >
                      > I don't know about a nice one, but try this. Save as an applet, not
                      > showing startup screen:
                      >
                      > to run
                      > display dialog "Drop a file on me to set its creator " & ¬
                      > "to "WPC2" and its type to "WPPC"." buttons ¬
                      > {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
                      > end run

                      FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes and the script compiled.

                      John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

                      I also discovered the stupid error that was keeping the script I was working on from working, so I present my solution below. John R's script is a lot more sophisticated (it has all the error reporting and "don't double-click me or give me folders" stuff), and there are probably other ways in which it is better than mine (I'm very much an amatuer still). However, I have one check he doesn't include :-) which might help if one has WP files stuck among other assorted files (but not if the DOS WP docs don't have extensions!). If your DOS WP files have different extensions, just add or modify the list--omitting the period! :-)

                      As with John R's, save as an applet without showing startup screen. (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

                      Smokey

                      --set type/creator on PC WP files so WP-Mac can open them properly
                      --only act on files with extensions indicating likely Win/DOS WP file

                      property extensionList : {"wpd", "wp", "wp5", "wp6"} ¬
                      --needs to exclude the period!

                      on open fileList
                      repeat with theFile in fileList
                      tell application "Finder"
                      if the name extension of theFile is in the ¬
                      extensionList then
                      set file type of theFile to "WPPC"
                      set creator type of theFile to "WPC2"
                      end if
                      end tell
                      end repeat
                      end open
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 18, 2005
                        <alqahira@m...> wrote:

                        > FYI, I had Script Editor complain about the quotes around WPC2 and
                        > WPPC in the above on run block; I changed them to single quotes
                        > and the script compiled.

                        I used smart quotes in the editor; the net changed them to plain
                        quotes and I didn't notice. Sorry. It's also possible to use plain
                        quotes in a script by using the escape character, e.g.
                        "the code \"WPPC\" represents file type."

                        > John, is yours supposed to handle multiple items in a single drop?

                        No, although it could be made to do so, and to walk folders too. I
                        worry a little about scripts that are too-powerful, where a user
                        could select all files in a folder and drop them on this script.
                        Their creators and types are all changed, including the two files
                        from another app the user mistakenly put in that folder. Without a
                        third file of that type as a reference, the user doesn't know what to
                        change them back to and so can't open them.

                        > (The savvy AppleScripter can incorporate the extension-checking
                        >scheme into John R's for complete coverage!)

                        That would be a good addition.