Re: [wordperfectmac] Re: WordPerfect Mac mailing list

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
      GAmoore@... said:

      >I hate Word - especially with
      >its auto-indenting lists.

      You can easily turn that feature off. Just as you can turn off every
      other one of Word's auto-formatting features.

      Tools menu --> Auto Correct... --> Auto Format tab or AutoFormat As You
      Type tab --> uncheck anything that you don't want

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
        You're welcome, Tom. Glad to see you here.

        WP 3.5e with the OS 8/9 updater runs without problems in Classic. If
        you set System Prefs
        to have Classic load at startup, WP will load as fast as ever when
        double-clicked.

        It's normally the only program I run in Classic, so it enjoys as
        much protected memory as
        any OS X native program. If any program crashes, it crashes but the
        rest of the computer is
        unaffected. WP's timed backup further extends safety of data.

        I was glad to see that the few extensions and control panels that
        made my writing
        environment even better also run fine in Classic. These include
        "Keys!", which lets you type
        just the first letter of any button in almost any dialog to click
        that button, and SmartKeys,
        which changes two hyphens to a dash, prevents typing more than one
        space at a time and
        such. Let me know if you'd like me to post these oldies but
        goodies for download.

        Rendering of some fonts is not as good for WP in Classic as it was in
        OS 9. This is easily
        fixed with the SmoothType extension, as described at Ed
        Mendelson's site (search for "WP
        and OS X" in the Links section here). At the site, go to the
        "How to Make Classic Look Like
        OS X" part.

        While you're there, get the free Print to PDF components. This
        feature is for my uses a
        major advantage of OS X, and you can now do it just as well with WP,
        without buying
        anything from Adobe.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D."
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
          > Thanks for inviting me too. That other list was always screwed up.
          I got the
          > messages but when I tried to write messages I would get errors.
          >
          > So how much longer is everyone going to use WP?

          As long as Apple builds Macs, I think. There was a recent, extensive
          thread on the usenet
          newsgroup comp.sys.mac.apps about Pages, Apple's new word processor.
          Several people
          spoke well of WP and its exceptional support for serious writing.
        • Randall C. Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2005
            I know this is not a Word Listserv, but to be fair to that program,
            how do you convince Word that you mean it when you make a change to
            its settings using the customize feature. Don't know what I'm doing
            wrong, but customizing my settings doesn't always seem to last beyond
            the current session in many cases. Is there a common mistake users
            make when trying to reconfigure key board shortcuts and other custom
            settings that causes Word to revert to its defaults?

            >You can easily turn that feature off. Just as you can turn off every
            >other one of Word's auto-formatting features.
            >
            >Tools menu --> Auto Correct... --> Auto Format tab or AutoFormat As You
            >Type tab --> uncheck anything that you don't want
            >

            >Randy B. Singer
            >Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
            >
            >Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
            ><http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html>http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291n5km7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1108279593/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kqmkn24/*http://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108193193386987>
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            /S/ Randall

            mailto:rwilson@...