Re: WordPerfect Mac mailing list

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
      John, thank you for moderating this new list, and letting me
      know about it. I was wondering what had happened to the old
      one, and am heartened that WPMac is alive and well. I'm finally
      getting ready to migrate to Jaguar and try out WP in Classic.
      "See" you online. Tom

      jrethorst@... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Please excuse this one-time-only message, sent because you posted to the
      > WP mailing list sometime in 2004.
      >
      > That list is apparently no longer functioning. I know you join me in
      > thanking Aron Spencer very much for his great support for the list for
      > so many years.
      >
      > There's now a new list/group at Yahoo, which offers the advantages of
      > being accessible from either the web or email, and also has a
      > comprehensive collection of files and links (about 100 and growing),
      > clearly and conveniently organized. Membership is free and your email
      > address can be hidden.
      >
      > If you already have a Yahoo email address or are a member of Yahoo
      > Groups, all you need to do is subscribe to the WordPerfectMac group. See
      > below. Otherwise: to join Yahoo on the web, point your browser to:

      > and click "Sign Up" near the top.
      >
      > Once you're a member of Yahoo Groups, join the new WP group by clicking
      > in the Join a Group search box just above the center of the page. Type
      > "wordperfectmac" in the box and click Search. You'll get a new page with
      > only this group listed. Click on the group name.
      >
      > Or, you can join this group via email, by sending a message to <
      > wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com >.
      >
      > You can elect to get list messages individually, or in a daily digest,
      > or not at all, if you'd rather read the list on the web. You can post to
      > the group via email or the web.
      >
      > Hope to see you soon!
      >
      > Thank you,
      > John Rethorst

    • mjhendriksen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
        Hi Tom and others,
        I am using WPMac 3.5e on an EMac with OS 10.3.7 (WP runs in the
        Classic mode, of
        course) and it works GREAT. I don't have to use those other inferior
        products even with the
        latest hardware and software. This is a 1.25 Ghz machine...

        Thank you from me too, for the new list and for letting me know about
        it. Thanks also to
        Aaron for hosting the other one for so long. I too am glad to see
        r8ix back.

        Best, Mike
        ----------------------------

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D."
      • GAmoore@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
          Thanks for inviting me too. That other list was always screwed up. I got the
          messages but when I tried to write messages I would get errors.

          So how much longer is everyone going to use WP? I hate Word - especially with
          its auto-indenting lists. Nisus and iWork don't have equation editors.

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
            GAmoore@... said:

            >I hate Word - especially with
            >its auto-indenting lists.

            You can easily turn that feature off. Just as you can turn off every
            other one of Word's auto-formatting features.

            Tools menu --> Auto Correct... --> Auto Format tab or AutoFormat As You
            Type tab --> uncheck anything that you don't want

            Randy B. Singer

            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
              You're welcome, Tom. Glad to see you here.

              WP 3.5e with the OS 8/9 updater runs without problems in Classic. If
              you set System Prefs
              to have Classic load at startup, WP will load as fast as ever when
              double-clicked.

              It's normally the only program I run in Classic, so it enjoys as
              much protected memory as
              any OS X native program. If any program crashes, it crashes but the
              rest of the computer is
              unaffected. WP's timed backup further extends safety of data.

              I was glad to see that the few extensions and control panels that
              made my writing
              environment even better also run fine in Classic. These include
              "Keys!", which lets you type
              just the first letter of any button in almost any dialog to click
              that button, and SmartKeys,
              which changes two hyphens to a dash, prevents typing more than one
              space at a time and
              such. Let me know if you'd like me to post these oldies but
              goodies for download.

              Rendering of some fonts is not as good for WP in Classic as it was in
              OS 9. This is easily
              fixed with the SmoothType extension, as described at Ed
              Mendelson's site (search for "WP
              and OS X" in the Links section here). At the site, go to the
              "How to Make Classic Look Like
              OS X" part.

              While you're there, get the free Print to PDF components. This
              feature is for my uses a
              major advantage of OS X, and you can now do it just as well with WP,
              without buying
              anything from Adobe.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, GAmoore@a... wrote:
                > Thanks for inviting me too. That other list was always screwed up.
                I got the
                > messages but when I tried to write messages I would get errors.
                >
                > So how much longer is everyone going to use WP?

                As long as Apple builds Macs, I think. There was a recent, extensive
                thread on the usenet
                newsgroup comp.sys.mac.apps about Pages, Apple's new word processor.
                Several people
                spoke well of WP and its exceptional support for serious writing.
              • Randall C. Wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14, 2005
                  I know this is not a Word Listserv, but to be fair to that program,
                  how do you convince Word that you mean it when you make a change to
                  its settings using the customize feature. Don't know what I'm doing
                  wrong, but customizing my settings doesn't always seem to last beyond
                  the current session in many cases. Is there a common mistake users
                  make when trying to reconfigure key board shortcuts and other custom
                  settings that causes Word to revert to its defaults?

                  >You can easily turn that feature off. Just as you can turn off every
                  >other one of Word's auto-formatting features.
                  >
                  >Tools menu --> Auto Correct... --> Auto Format tab or AutoFormat As You
                  >Type tab --> uncheck anything that you don't want
                  >

                  >Randy B. Singer
                  >Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
                  >
                  >Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
                  ><http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html>http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291n5km7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1108279593/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kqmkn24/*http://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108193193386987>
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  /S/ Randall

                  mailto:rwilson@...