Re: [wordperfectmac] MetaMacro

  • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
      So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
      opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
      embedded in its full context?

      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C.
      >Wilson" <rwilson@i...> wrote:
      >
      >> cool!
      >
      >Thanks. I'm finding it especially useful for text extraction. A major
      >source in my dissertation is John Dewey. I recently wanted to get a
      >concordance of sorts of what I had said about him, so I used the MM
      >Extract Text macro to go through the thesis and extract every paragraph
      >where he's mentioned. MM generated a table where the first column has
      >the file name, the second has the page number, and the third contains
      >the paragraph. Fast and easy, and I even found some of the result
      >helpful.
      >
      >John R.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
      Legal Director
      Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Ph: (515) 243 4032
      Fax: (515) 243 8506

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        <rwilson@i...> wrote:
        > So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
        > opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
        > embedded in its full context?

        Correct.

        John R.
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson said:

          >So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
          >opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
          >embedded in its full context?

          You might find this program useful:

          Concorder is a program for the creation, editing, sorting and printing of
          concordances. The program includes a fully functional text and
          list-editor.

          Concorder and Concorder Pro (free?)

          <http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/concorder/concorder.html>

          <http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/concorderPro/concorderPro.html>

          Randy B. Singer, Attorney at Law

          * Moderator of:
          The MacAttorney Computer User Group
          * Author of:
          The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office
          <http://tinyurl.com/6pyvt>
          * Webmaster of:
          The Law Office Software List for the Macintosh Computer
          <http://www.macattorney.com/>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005
            Randall, either of these could suit your needs. I looked at Concorder
            Pro and found it fast
            with a nice interface, but didn't see a setting to show more than
            a few words of context on
            either side of the search string. MetaMacro gives you the entire
            paragraph containing your
            string.

            With MetaMacro, If one file is all you normally do this with,
            it's an extra step to put it in its
            own folder, since MM works on contents of a folder. I could revise
            the MM Extract Text
            macro that comes with MM so you could just enter a string and run the
            macro itself on any
            open WP doc. Let me know.
          • logres@redrose.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
              Let's see "Pages" do *that*! Or Word, either, for that matter.
              --Rick Albright
              <tt>
              <BR>
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson" <BR>
              <rwilson@i...> wrote:<BR>
              > So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an <BR>
              > opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term <BR>
              > embedded in  its full context?<BR>
              <BR>
              Correct.<BR>
              <BR>