MetaMacro

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C.
      Wilson" <rwilson@i...> wrote:

      > cool!

      Thanks. I'm finding it especially useful for text extraction. A major
      source in my dissertation is John Dewey. I recently wanted to get a
      concordance of sorts of what I had said about him, so I used the MM
      Extract Text macro to go through the thesis and extract every paragraph
      where he's mentioned. MM generated a table where the first column has
      the file name, the second has the page number, and the third contains
      the paragraph. Fast and easy, and I even found some of the result
      helpful.

      John R.
    • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
        opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
        embedded in its full context?

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C.
        >Wilson" <rwilson@i...> wrote:
        >
        >> cool!
        >
        >Thanks. I'm finding it especially useful for text extraction. A major
        >source in my dissertation is John Dewey. I recently wanted to get a
        >concordance of sorts of what I had said about him, so I used the MM
        >Extract Text macro to go through the thesis and extract every paragraph
        >where he's mentioned. MM generated a table where the first column has
        >the file name, the second has the page number, and the third contains
        >the paragraph. Fast and easy, and I even found some of the result
        >helpful.
        >
        >John R.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
        Legal Director
        Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Ph: (515) 243 4032
        Fax: (515) 243 8506

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          <rwilson@i...> wrote:
          > So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
          > opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
          > embedded in its full context?

          Correct.

          John R.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson said:

            >So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an
            >opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term
            >embedded in its full context?

            You might find this program useful:

            Concorder is a program for the creation, editing, sorting and printing of
            concordances. The program includes a fully functional text and
            list-editor.

            Concorder and Concorder Pro (free?)

            <http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/concorder/concorder.html>

            <http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/concorderPro/concorderPro.html>

            Randy B. Singer, Attorney at Law

            * Moderator of:
            The MacAttorney Computer User Group
            * Author of:
            The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office
            <http://tinyurl.com/6pyvt>
            * Webmaster of:
            The Law Office Software List for the Macintosh Computer
            <http://www.macattorney.com/>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005
              Randall, either of these could suit your needs. I looked at Concorder
              Pro and found it fast
              with a nice interface, but didn't see a setting to show more than
              a few words of context on
              either side of the search string. MetaMacro gives you the entire
              paragraph containing your
              string.

              With MetaMacro, If one file is all you normally do this with,
              it's an extra step to put it in its
              own folder, since MM works on contents of a folder. I could revise
              the MM Extract Text
              macro that comes with MM so you could just enter a string and run the
              macro itself on any
              open WP doc. Let me know.
            • logres@redrose.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
                Let's see "Pages" do *that*! Or Word, either, for that matter.
                --Rick Albright
                <tt>
                <BR>
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson" <BR>
                <rwilson@i...> wrote:<BR>
                > So, as a lawyer, I could use that to do a word search of an <BR>
                > opponent's brief or deposition and return all occurences of the term <BR>
                > embedded in  its full context?<BR>
                <BR>
                Correct.<BR>
                <BR>