Re: [wordperfectmac] A very slow WP

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2005
      That doesn't sound normal to me. When I occasionally fire up my old 50
      mhz Performa, with its 68040 chip and 36 mg of RAM, WordPerfect 3.5e
      (the type creator IDs this as WP4) runs just fine on it. I'm a pretty
      fast typist, and I can't say that I've ever had it not keep up with my
      typing.

      Having said that, I'm not sure what the solution is. Too many programs
      open? Not enough memory?

      Rick Albright

      On Jan 19, 2005, at 6:06 PM, rjwidenmann wrote:

      > First, congratulations on the new group.
      >
      > For reasons unknown to me WP 4 runs so slowly with ordinary documents
      > of one or more pages (the more pages the worse) that it hardly keeps
      > up with my typing. And that's slow, believe me. I have an iMac 233 Mhz
      > with 256 MB RAM, OS 9.2.2 and 25 MB allocated to WP. I invariably hear
      > activity in the background, a clicking peculiar to WP.
      >
      > I've run the program with no other programs open, had DiskWarrior do
      > its job, rebuilt the desktop countless times and established documents
      > both independently and from templates - to no avail. Does anyone have
      > a quick solution that might help? Or will I have to replace the
      > preference file or even reinstal the program - and then reset all the
      > preferences?
      >
      > I have also posted a similar message on the old (and I hope not
      > defunct) email group.
      >
      > Regards, Bob
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Service.

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2005
        Rick Albright said:

        >That doesn't sound normal to me. When I occasionally fire up my old 50
        >mhz Performa, with its 68040 chip and 36 mg of RAM, WordPerfect 3.5e
        >(the type creator IDs this as WP4) runs just fine on it. I'm a pretty
        >fast typist, and I can't say that I've ever had it not keep up with my
        >typing.
        >
        >Having said that, I'm not sure what the solution is. Too many programs
        >open? Not enough memory?

        A more modern version of the Mac OS usually requires a good deal more
        RAM. The constant hard drive activity in the background that you hear
        indicates to me that your are dipping into virtual memory because you
        don't have enough real RAM available. Using virtual memory will slow
        things down noticably. So, you may indeed need to install more real RAM.

        Have a look at:

        <http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=61&type=Memory&TI=%23Ti
        meFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades>

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • rjwidenmann
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
          <rwilson@i...> wrote:
          First of all, many thanks for a prompt and very enlightening reply.

          After checking the preference file and reducing the frequency of
          backups, in vain, I finally boiled it down to File Sharing, which was
          on because of our mini-network (2 computers); when I turned FS off, WP
          began to behave properly.

          I wass curious about your mention of Netscape because I use Mozilla,
          which I understand to be built around a Netscape frame. Have there
          been problems with Mozilla in this respect?

          Per your recommendation I have downloaded Peekaboo (it's been ages
          since I've heard that expression) and am currently familiarizing
          myself with it before deciding wither or not I want to pay for and
          keep it.

          Once again, thanks.

        • Randall C. Wilson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005

            The Mozilla engine/web browser is the old Netscape browser simplified
            and rewritten rationally. It is not the bloatware monster that
            Netscape was. Netscape then began using the stand alone Mozilla
            engine in its latest browsers renaiming it as "Gecko". "Firefox" is
            the new kid on the block and was developed as open source ty the same
            people who rescued and streamlined the Netscape code to create the
            Mozilla browser.

            Peek-a-boo helped me troubleshoot performance issues under OS 9, but
            my advice would be to start saving your pennies and switch up to OSX.
            You can still run all your old programs in Classic, and WP 3.5e will
            work better than it does in OS9, although you may encounter some
            change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.

            Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@i...> wrote:
              > you may encounter some
              > change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.

              if so, and you'd like to update all font assignments at once, my MetaMacro utility would be
              an easy and effective way to do it. Enter the names of the old and new fonts in the
              Variables dialog, choose the MM Font Change macro, point MetaMacro at any folder or
              disk, and it's done.
            • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                cool!

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
                ><rwilson@i...> wrote:
                >> you may encounter some
                >> change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.
                >
                >if so, and you'd like to update all font assignments at once, my
                >MetaMacro utility would be
                >an easy and effective way to do it. Enter the names of the old and
                >new fonts in the
                >Variables dialog, choose the MM Font Change macro, point MetaMacro
                >at any folder or
                >disk, and it's done.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >To visit your group on the web, go to: