A very slow WP

  • rjwidenmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2005
      First, congratulations on the new group.

      For reasons unknown to me WP 4 runs so slowly with ordinary documents
      of one or more pages (the more pages the worse) that it hardly keeps
      up with my typing. And that's slow, believe me. I have an iMac 233 Mhz
      with 256 MB RAM, OS 9.2.2 and 25 MB allocated to WP. I invariably hear
      activity in the background, a clicking peculiar to WP.

      I've run the program with no other programs open, had DiskWarrior do
      its job, rebuilt the desktop countless times and established documents
      both independently and from templates - to no avail. Does anyone have
      a quick solution that might help? Or will I have to replace the
      preference file or even reinstal the program - and then reset all the
      preferences?

      I have also posted a similar message on the old (and I hope not
      defunct) email group.

      Regards, Bob
    • Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2005
        A corrupted preference file is always the first thing to check. You
        do not have to trash your old preferences. Just move the
        WordPerfect preferences out of the preference folder (perhaps to your
        desktop) and restart WP. If the problems are still there it was not
        your preference file and you may replace the newly created preference
        file with your old one.

        What background tasks do you have WP set to do? Frequent backups
        because it sounds like you are hearing disk activity? Turn off
        Virtual memory which substitutes disk space for RAM and is very slow.
        Some OS9 applications sometimes fail to surrender RAM after quitting.
        Netscape used to do this. That could trigger virtual memory use.

        Maybe you need to save your preference file and reinstall WP if
        these things don't work..

        It may not be a problem with WordPerfect at all. Sounds like you
        have a process running in the background that is eating up processing
        time. This could be a problem with an application that runs in the
        background like a fire wall program, or even FileSharing or indexing.
        Turn off FileSharing. Programs that work with servers are often
        intrusive.

        A relatively inexpensive shareware program called Peek-a-Boo, will
        allow you to see what processes are active and allow you to kill an
        active process that is causing trouble in OS9.

        At 11:06 PM +0000 1/19/05, rjwidenmann wrote:
        >First, congratulations on the new group.
        >
        >For reasons unknown to me WP 4 runs so slowly with ordinary documents
        >of one or more pages (the more pages the worse) that it hardly keeps
        >up with my typing. And that's slow, believe me. I have an iMac 233 Mhz
        >with 256 MB RAM, OS 9.2.2 and 25 MB allocated to WP. I invariably hear
        >activity in the background, a clicking peculiar to WP.
        >
        >I've run the program with no other programs open, had DiskWarrior do
        >its job, rebuilt the desktop countless times and established documents
        >both independently and from templates - to no avail. Does anyone have
        >a quick solution that might help? Or will I have to replace the
        >preference file or even reinstal the program - and then reset all the
        >preferences?
        >
        >I have also posted a similar message on the old (and I hope not
        >defunct) email group.
        >
        >Regards, Bob
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        /S/ Randall

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2005
          That doesn't sound normal to me. When I occasionally fire up my old 50
          mhz Performa, with its 68040 chip and 36 mg of RAM, WordPerfect 3.5e
          (the type creator IDs this as WP4) runs just fine on it. I'm a pretty
          fast typist, and I can't say that I've ever had it not keep up with my
          typing.

          Having said that, I'm not sure what the solution is. Too many programs
          open? Not enough memory?

          Rick Albright

          On Jan 19, 2005, at 6:06 PM, rjwidenmann wrote:

          > First, congratulations on the new group.
          >
          > For reasons unknown to me WP 4 runs so slowly with ordinary documents
          > of one or more pages (the more pages the worse) that it hardly keeps
          > up with my typing. And that's slow, believe me. I have an iMac 233 Mhz
          > with 256 MB RAM, OS 9.2.2 and 25 MB allocated to WP. I invariably hear
          > activity in the background, a clicking peculiar to WP.
          >
          > I've run the program with no other programs open, had DiskWarrior do
          > its job, rebuilt the desktop countless times and established documents
          > both independently and from templates - to no avail. Does anyone have
          > a quick solution that might help? Or will I have to replace the
          > preference file or even reinstal the program - and then reset all the
          > preferences?
          >
          > I have also posted a similar message on the old (and I hope not
          > defunct) email group.
          >
          > Regards, Bob
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Service.

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 21, 2005
            Rick Albright said:

            >That doesn't sound normal to me. When I occasionally fire up my old 50
            >mhz Performa, with its 68040 chip and 36 mg of RAM, WordPerfect 3.5e
            >(the type creator IDs this as WP4) runs just fine on it. I'm a pretty
            >fast typist, and I can't say that I've ever had it not keep up with my
            >typing.
            >
            >Having said that, I'm not sure what the solution is. Too many programs
            >open? Not enough memory?

            A more modern version of the Mac OS usually requires a good deal more
            RAM. The constant hard drive activity in the background that you hear
            indicates to me that your are dipping into virtual memory because you
            don't have enough real RAM available. Using virtual memory will slow
            things down noticably. So, you may indeed need to install more real RAM.

            Have a look at:

            <http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=61&type=Memory&TI=%23Ti
            meFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades>

            Randy B. Singer

            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • rjwidenmann
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
              <rwilson@i...> wrote:
              First of all, many thanks for a prompt and very enlightening reply.

              After checking the preference file and reducing the frequency of
              backups, in vain, I finally boiled it down to File Sharing, which was
              on because of our mini-network (2 computers); when I turned FS off, WP
              began to behave properly.

              I wass curious about your mention of Netscape because I use Mozilla,
              which I understand to be built around a Netscape frame. Have there
              been problems with Mozilla in this respect?

              Per your recommendation I have downloaded Peekaboo (it's been ages
              since I've heard that expression) and am currently familiarizing
              myself with it before deciding wither or not I want to pay for and
              keep it.

              Once again, thanks.

            • Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005

                The Mozilla engine/web browser is the old Netscape browser simplified
                and rewritten rationally. It is not the bloatware monster that
                Netscape was. Netscape then began using the stand alone Mozilla
                engine in its latest browsers renaiming it as "Gecko". "Firefox" is
                the new kid on the block and was developed as open source ty the same
                people who rescued and streamlined the Netscape code to create the
                Mozilla browser.

                Peek-a-boo helped me troubleshoot performance issues under OS 9, but
                my advice would be to start saving your pennies and switch up to OSX.
                You can still run all your old programs in Classic, and WP 3.5e will
                work better than it does in OS9, although you may encounter some
                change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@i...> wrote:
                  > you may encounter some
                  > change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.

                  if so, and you'd like to update all font assignments at once, my MetaMacro utility would be
                  an easy and effective way to do it. Enter the names of the old and new fonts in the
                  Variables dialog, choose the MM Font Change macro, point MetaMacro at any folder or
                  disk, and it's done.
                • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                    cool!

                    >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
                    ><rwilson@i...> wrote:
                    >> you may encounter some
                    >> change or substitution of font issues in your old legacy documents.
                    >
                    >if so, and you'd like to update all font assignments at once, my
                    >MetaMacro utility would be
                    >an easy and effective way to do it. Enter the names of the old and
                    >new fonts in the
                    >Variables dialog, choose the MM Font Change macro, point MetaMacro
                    >at any folder or
                    >disk, and it's done.
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >To visit your group on the web, go to: