8.6toClassic formatting changes

  • bcqc2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
      Like Randy Singer, I am wondering about the fate of the WP for Mac
      list, WP-L@.... I tried to post there last week and it just
      disappeared. Since then I tried to check with majordomo@... and
      with webmaster@... but "no luck".

      Below is the inquiry I sent to that list, unsuccessfully. I thought I
      should get it "out there", now, given Ruth's recent inquiry about
      upgrading.....

      We have been moving from iMacs running 8.6 to new computers using OSX.
      We run WP for Mac 3.5e. At first everything seemed fine with the word
      processing but with 3 out of 8 computers changed, we just found an
      oddity.

      We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical. The
      third person to convert to OSX works almost exclusively with the
      precedents and quickly spotted this problem. She opened a document on
      our server that had (for example) 4 full paragraphs to a page. But in
      Classic, it shows up with 4.5 paragraphs on that page. More characters
      on some lines and I can see the character spacing is tighter, as is
      the line spacing. It prints exactly as it shows, with 4.5 paragraphs
      on the page. Once she found the problem, we can see it on all 3
      machines running 9.2/Classic.

      That same document still appears on the old machines with the original
      4 paragraphs, only. It still prints only 4 paragraphs to the page.
      [Remember, there is only one version of this document, residing on a
      server.]

      Several of us have checked and re-checked all the settings for
      margins, line spacing, etc. on all machines; they are the same on the
      machines using 8.6 and in Classic but we still get "scrunched"
      printing out of Classic.

      This plays serious hell with several thousand formatted documents,
      accumulated since Adam was a lad, or at least since we began using
      Macs and WP for Macs about 20 years ago.

      Anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks for your time.

      Barney
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
        bcqc2003 said:

        >We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical. The
        >third person to convert to OSX works almost exclusively with the
        >precedents and quickly spotted this problem. She opened a document on
        >our server that had (for example) 4 full paragraphs to a page. But in
        >Classic, it shows up with 4.5 paragraphs on that page. More characters
        >on some lines and I can see the character spacing is tighter, as is
        >the line spacing. It prints exactly as it shows, with 4.5 paragraphs
        >on the page. Once she found the problem, we can see it on all 3
        >machines running 9.2/Classic.

        >Anyone have any suggestions?

        The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have to make sure that
        you are using exactly the same font as you used under 8.6. If you open
        the documents in Classic, and, for instance, TimesNewRoman is being used
        instead of Times, you will see exactly the problem that you are
        describing.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Barney Christianson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
          >bcqc2003 said:
          >
          >>We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical. The
          >>third person to convert to OSX works almost exclusively with the
          >>precedents and quickly spotted this problem. She opened a document on
          >>our server that had (for example) 4 full paragraphs to a page. But in
          >>Classic, it shows up with 4.5 paragraphs on that page. More characters
          >>on some lines and I can see the character spacing is tighter, as is
          >>the line spacing. It prints exactly as it shows, with 4.5 paragraphs
          >>on the page. Once she found the problem, we can see it on all 3
          >>machines running 9.2/Classic.

          >>Anyone have any suggestions?
          >
          >The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have to make sure that
          >you are using exactly the same font as you used under 8.6. If you open
          >the documents in Classic, and, for instance, TimesNewRoman is being used
          >instead of Times, you will see exactly the problem that you are
          >describing.
          >

          >Randy B. Singer

          I thought of that, too. We only use Helvetica in these documents.
          There are no applied styles and, in addition to checking line
          heights, margins, tabs, etc., we have used Show Codes to compare what
          we are seeing with 8.6 as opposed to Classic. Identical.

          And we even tried changing the monitor resolutions.

          Barney

        • Randall C. Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
            When you changed platforms you probably re-installed WP and unless
            you migrated your old preference file perfectly, you may have
            affected the "normal" style settings. Go to show codes. If your
            documents use any particular style, make sure it has all the same
            characteristics as that style running on your old machines. This
            would include any special character spacing or line spacing in the
            style that may have been altered so long ago that everyone has
            forgotten about them. If not the problem, this may also provide a
            means for solution--create a special style that corrects the problem
            by adjusting line and character spacing..

            Also Fonts can have the same name but are not necessarily the same.
            I have trouble with documents created with the TYPE 1 version of New
            Century Schoolbook scaled to 13 pts under OSX which invariably
            substitutes an italicized NCS font for anything in 13pt.

            Fortunately WP has macros and if you can find a few steps that bring
            your document back into shape you might just want to create a new one
            for that purpose. I fix my NewCenturySchbK font problem with a
            macro that globally changes the font to Times New Roman 13 which is
            very similar and usually affects formatting in the same way that my
            old OS9 font did..

            > >bcqc2003 said:
            >>
            >>>We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical. The
            >>>third person to convert to OSX works almost exclusively with the
            >>>precedents and quickly spotted this problem. She opened a document on
            >>>our server that had (for example) 4 full paragraphs to a page. But in
            >>>Classic, it shows up with 4.5 paragraphs on that page. More characters
            >>>on some lines and I can see the character spacing is tighter, as is
            >>>the line spacing. It prints exactly as it shows, with 4.5 paragraphs
            >>>on the page. Once she found the problem, we can see it on all 3
            >>>machines running 9.2/Classic.

            >>>Anyone have any suggestions?
            >>
            >>The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have to make sure that
            >>you are using exactly the same font as you used under 8.6. If you open
            >>the documents in Classic, and, for instance, TimesNewRoman is being used
            >>instead of Times, you will see exactly the problem that you are
            >>describing.
            >>

            >>Randy B. Singer
            >

            >I thought of that, too. We only use Helvetica in these documents.
            >There are no applied styles and, in addition to checking line
            >heights, margins, tabs, etc., we have used Show Codes to compare what
            >we are seeing with 8.6 as opposed to Classic. Identical.
            >
            >And we even tried changing the monitor resolutions.
            >
            >Barney

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            /S/ Randall

            mailto:rwilson@...

            Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003"
              <bchristianson@c...> wrote:

              > We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical.

              Choice of printer driver can affect formatting. The fractional
              character widths option in Page Setup will too.
            • Barney Christianson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 20, 2005
                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003"
                ><bchristianson@c...> wrote:
                >
                >> We use a ton of precedent documents and formatting is critical.
                >
                >Choice of printer driver can affect formatting. The fractional
                >character widths option in Page Setup will too.

                Thanks, John. But I must apologize for taking up your and this
                group's time because the solution was in the OS, not in WP. Ian
                Bourque of the service firm we use (Machelper) solved it - we just
                had to disable font smoothing. For those of you, like me, who had
                forgotten about that little problem child, its found in Apple Menu
                --> Control Panels --> Appearance --> FONTS tab --> Smooth All
                Fonts On Screen.

                Once I disabled that and then trashed the WP preferences, all was
                right with the world.

                Barney