[ANN] John's WP MetaMacro

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
      This utility will run a WP macro, among any installed in your
      library, on any number of
      files. They can be WP files, text files or any type. Point it to a
      folder and it will run the
      macro on every file of the kind(s) specified at the root level of
      that folder, or there and in
      all subfolders of the folder.

      Extracting text from, changing fonts and styles in, or doing a search
      and replace in,
      25,000 files is now a one-step operation.

      MetaMacro can record, and will save, the contents of up to 50
      variables it will pass to the
      macro you've chosen, greatly increasing the utility's power. These
      variables can contain
      any values you enter in MetaMacro, or you can choose file-specific
      information like:

      - File path, e.g. "Disk:Folder 1:Folder 2:File"
      - File size in bytes
      - File size in kilobytes
      - File container, e.g. "Disk:Folder 1:Folder 2:"
      - Folder of file, e.g. "Folder 2"
      - Disk of file, e.g. "Disk"
      - Get Info comment, from the Finder's Get Info box
      - File creator, e.g. "WPC2" for WordPerfect, or
      "ttxt" for SimpleText
      - File type, e.g. "WPD4" for WordPerfect format,
      "TEXT" for plain text
      - Creation date: when the file was first saved
      - Modification date: when the file was last saved
      - Archive date: when the file was last backed up (by a program that
      sets this date)
      - Default Application: the application that will open the file if
      it's double-clicked

      so the macro will run on each file using that specific file's e.g.
      modification date. Dates are
      available in long or short formats.

      A dozen included sample macros do things like look for a string in
      all files and copy each
      paragraph containing that string into a new document containing a
      table, also listing
      document name and page number where the string was found. Search and
      Replace across
      any number of files; type each file's path at the end of the document
      so a person with a
      paper copy of the file knows where on the disk or network to find the
      original.

      MetaMacro can be run with another free utility of mine, QuickFind,
      that will select files
      according to a large number of filters: Boolean and/or/not plus
      regular expression in file
      names and paths, file size, modification date, creator, type, and
      whether contents contain
      a string or a regular expression.

      This is easily the most powerful utility I've ever written for WP.
      For example, I imported the
      953 existing digests of WP-L to this Yahoo group as email messages so
      they'd be
      searchable. Before posting them, I wanted to delete the email
      addresses throughout, to
      avoid spam. To do that I ran a macro on the 953 digests, all in one
      folder, which macro
      went to the top of the doc and searched for the "@" that's a part of
      every email address.
      For every hit in the file, the macro deleted the two words to the
      at-sign's right and typed
      "[email address protected]", and then saved the doc to another
      folder. Even with a G4 iMac,
      this was a lot of word processing. With MetaMacro, the procedure took
      five clicks of the
      mouse.

      I then had MetaMacro go through the 953 files and extract every line
      that started with
      "Subject:", to get the subject lines for the index.

      Runs in OS 7.5 - 9.2 and in Classic on OSX. Free, in the Files
      section here (has also been
      submitted to ftp.r8ix.com and Info-Mac).

      John R.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2005
        Has anyone received any feedback on what happened to the WP-L discussion
        list?

        It just went "Poof"!

        The same folks host the MacTalk list, which is still up, and others are
        able to post to it, but I can't. Though I still received postings to
        MacTalk.

        I've written the listmom, but I have not received a reply.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
          Hey Randy,

          I have the same situation.

          The second I subscribed to this list the other list disappeared.

          Looks as if the people who hosted the WP List got PO'd because they saw
          Cometition and unsubscribed us.

          If you find out let me know as well.

          Randy B.Singer wrote:
          > Has anyone received any feedback on what happened to the WP-L discussion
          > list?
          >
          > It just went "Poof"!
          >
          > The same folks host the MacTalk list, which is still up, and others are
          > able to post to it, but I can't. Though I still received postings to
          > MacTalk.
          >
          > I've written the listmom, but I have not received a reply.
          >

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
          >
          > Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

          mailto:pjones@...

          <http://vpea.exis.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@k...> wrote:
            > Looks as if the people who hosted the WP List got PO'd because they saw
            > Cometition and unsubscribed us.

            I hope not. I asked Aron about the possibility of adding search to WP-L; he said he did not
            have the time to implement it, and sent me the entire collection of digests. When I
            announced the Yahoo group on WP-L, I pointed out (and confirmed a second time, in
            response to a question) that it was not intended as a replacement for WP-L but as an
            additional resource for the user community. Search access is a valuable thing and 23 mb
            of text can contain a lot of vital info. A set of live links (as opposed to a static list in a text
            file) can also be worthwhile; I did not know whether Aron would want to maintain WP links
            at his web site, and I don't have one.

            Aron's support for WP, since his hosting of the beta-testers mailing list for v. 3.5e, has
            been tremendous. At no point in my work on the Yahoo group and communication with
            him did I sense that he thought of the group as competition. It may just be a matter of
            how busy he is.

            John R.
          • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
              All I know I received my last post from the WP newsgroup the same night
              I subbed to this group. (which was the first night you announced it.)

              I do know sometimes there are times, that days go by before receiving
              post from that group. (Come in bunches like Banana's.)

              I may post an "Is This group alive post" to see if its active.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
                John Rethorst said:

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
                ><pjones1@k...> wrote:
                >> Looks as if the people who hosted the WP List got PO'd because they saw
                >> Cometition and unsubscribed us.
                >
                >I hope not.

                I doubt that is the problem, as Aron's other lists have been wacky too.