WP Mac News 96/12

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2004
      December 1996 Issue 24 WPMac News is a monthly newsletter published
      for those who use WordPerfect for Macintosh, anyone interested in the
      product, and those who stumble across this newsletter and are
      captivated to read. It contains any late-breaking news, the hottest
      issues from customer support, and extensive coverage of WPMac features.
      Check out this current issue, as well as our past issues. We hope you
      find the News informative, helpful, and even entertaining. This month
      is time for celebration as we all enjoy the holidays. I hope that you
      enjoy all of the goodies this newsletter brings. Our December issue is
      filled to the brim will macro paraphernalia. Our Cover Story features a
      great HTML template created by our own Brian ‘Sled Boy’ Rasmussen, and
      John Rethorst treats us to his monthly column as well as a QuickCorrect
      Entry macro in Monthly Macros. Speaking of John Rethorst, it is time to
      shed a tear. This is his last month with us! After 2 years of writing
      about macros he has covered it all. We wish him farewell with a big
      kiss and a thank you! But, don’t despair, he will show up every now and
      then with another one of his incredible macros. Happy Holidays
      everyone! Lisa Credits Lisa Foster, Editor and Layout LaMar Kirby,
      Graphic Design and Web Master John Rethorst, Mastering Macros WPMac
      Support Team Page Dec 2 96 My WordPerfect Home Page Template By Brian
      Rasmussen The Internet is a wonderful thing. Never before have we had
      so much information that we can access so easily. Many of us are
      realizing this and are starting to take advantage of the searching
      capabilities within the Internet. As most people already know, hours
      can be spent “surfing” the Net. Fewer of us however, take advantage of
      another powerful feature of the Net - sharing our information. Browsing
      the Internet is easy, but few of us understand the Internet for the
      potential possibilities it can provide because of the complexity of
      hypertext markup language (HTML). HTML is a fairly simple and basic
      programming language, but can be very complex and frustrating for many
      of us. Page Dec 3 96 In recent years, programs have become available
      that automate the creation of HTML documents. Corel WordPerfect 3.5 for
      the Macintosh is one of these programs. OUR HTML TEMPLATE We have
      created a template that automates the creating of home pages. For a
      basic home page, you no longer need to know anything about HTML, but
      only need to know how to use this template. In the following
      paragraphs, you will learn how to quickly and simply create a wonderful
      home page that will even allow for easy editing in the future. With
      this powerful template, you can be a master at creating amazing web
      pages that you can post directly on the Net. Contact your Internet
      provider for information about posting your web pages. Our HTML
      template utilizes two templates: My Home Page and My Home Page-Sub. You
      will find a folder attached to this newsletter called, My Home Page
      Templates. It contains the My Home Page and My Home Page-Sub templates.
      You should copy these two files to your Templates folder within your
      Corel WordPerfect 3.5 folder. These two templates will Page Dec 4 96
      create a main home page that is similar to a table of contents that
      will provide links to other sub-pages. LET’S GET STARTED Open the My
      Home Page template. You will be prompted for your name, your e-mail
      address, and the title of your home page. After this information is
      provided, the following dialog box will appear: Page Dec 5 96 This
      dialog displays a default list of the sub-pages which can be accessed
      from your home page. These sub-pages include: My Hobbies and Interests,
      My Personal Background, and My Professional Information. If you do not
      want your home page to include one of these default options, simply
      click on the specific option to un-check it. All checked items will
      appear on your home page. You can add up to ten other sub-pages by
      clicking on Option D, Add another option. A dialog box will appear
      allowing you to name your other sub-pages. When you are finished adding
      options, click on Done. With the information from this dialog, the
      template will automatically create all the documents needed for your
      home page (and sub-pages) and place them in a folder called My WP Home
      Page (this is created inside the folder that contains your Corel
      WordPerfect 3.5 folder). They are saved in HTML format and all links
      are active when you open the documents into Netscape or your favorite
      browser. Each document will place your name at the bottom, and when
      clicked on, will open your browser’s e–mail window with your e-mail
      address inserted into the “Mail to:” box. Page Dec 6 96 ADDING THAT
      PERSONAL TOUCH Once all of the necessary documents have been created,
      you will need to personalize them. You do this by editing the
      WordPerfect versions of these documents. Caution: do not open the HTML
      files into WordPerfect and edit them. Every time you open an HTML file,
      it will be converted to the WordPerfect format. Every time a conversion
      takes place, undesirable changes can be made to the document. Never
      edit the HTML versions of your documents in WordPerfect. To personalize
      and format your home page documents, open the files located in the
      folder called WordPerfect Versions. Add text, etc. to your documents
      and use the options on the Tool Bar to add attributes. When you are
      finished with your formatting, click on the “Publish” button that
      appears on the Button Bar. This will export your WordPerfect document
      into HTML format. It also saves a WordPerfect format of the same file
      in the WordPerfect Versions folder. While formatting your home page
      documents, you may want to insert graphic images. To do this, place all
      graphic files into the Images folder located inside the My WP Home Page
      Page Dec 7 96 folder. Then, from within WordPerfect, click on the
      button found on the HTML Tool Bar. Click on the Find File button at the
      bottom of this dialog and select the appropriate graphic file that you
      placed in the Images folder. Your graphic files need to be GIF or JPEG
      format (if your graphics are not available in this format, WordPerfect
      will allow you to convert the images when the entire document is
      converted into the HTML format.) PUBLISHING Once you have finished
      formatting your home page document and sub-pages, you are ready to
      publish them on the Web. • Make a copy of the entire My WP Home Page
      folder. • From this copy, pull out and trash the WordPerfect Versions
      folder since it will not be needed on the Web. Make sure you are
      working on your COPY of the My WP Home Page folder or you will be
      deleting your original WordPerfect documents. • To actually publish or
      place your home page on the Web, you or your provider will need to
      place the My WP Home Page folder (minus the WordPerfect Versions
      folder) Page Dec 8 96 on the Web server. When you want to update or
      edit your home page, simply open the WordPerfect versions of the files
      (they should still exist in your original My WP Home Page
      folder|WordPerfect Versions) and edit them any way you like. When you
      are done, repeat the 3 steps outlined above to update your home page on
      the Web. COMMON QUESTIONS Why do I get a “Cannot rename-name already
      exists (-48)” error whenever I open the My Home Page template? Whenever
      you open the template, a folder called My WP Home Page is created next
      to the Corel WordPerfect 3.5 folder. If a folder already exists with
      this name, you will get this error message. Move or trash the folder
      and then continue. Page Dec 9 96 Can I move the My WP Home Page folder
      and still edit the WordPerfect versions of my documents? You should not
      move the folder if you still want to edit your documents. When you
      click on the “Publish” button, WordPerfect will look to the document’s
      original location and try to save the file there. If the My WP Home
      Page folder has been moved, WordPerfect will give you an error. If this
      error does occur, switch to the Finder and move the My WP Home Page
      folder back to the original location. Return to WordPerfect and click
      on the “Publish” button again. Why are the links inactive in
      WordPerfect after I have created my home page? If the links were active
      and you were to click on them, the HTML versions of your documents
      would be opened and imported into WordPerfect. As cautioned in this
      article, unwanted changes may occur if this takes place. This is why
      you should always edit the WordPerfect Versions of your documents
      (where the links remain inactive). Your links will become active once
      you click on the “Publish” button and your documents are saved and
      exported into HTML. Page Dec 10 96 by John Rethorst A Day in the Life:
      Real Bloopers, and a Little Elegance It has been a great deal of fun
      writing these columns and, if you’ve been brave enough to read them for
      the past two years, you’re well on your way to being a real macro
      maven. After the long and complex code discussed in the last few
      months, I wanted to finish up with some shorter snippets of code that
      exemplify ways that your scripting can go wrong, and ways it can go
      right. The first category is largely populated by bugs. Let’s look at a
      couple. Page Dec 11 96 What’s wrong here? A lot of mistakes occur when
      you script some action and then, later, add code for another feature.
      The second feature torpedoes the first. In the code below, part of the
      Tab command for my outlining macros, I wrote the part below the
      separator first. It checks to see if the next object to the right of
      the insertion point is a hard return code. I wrote it; it worked;
      everything’s fine. Then, a week later, I was going through all the
      outlining commands to add checks so things would work as they should.
      In this case, I decided to check whether the user was in fact in an
      outline. This code, above the separator, puts the insertion point at
      the beginning of the current line, and then searches for the next
      automatic paragraph number (outline label). At that point, the original
      code didn’t work any more. Not hard to see why, in retrospect. If I
      send the insertion point looking for the next paragraph number, the
      object following won’t be a hard return code, since my outliner puts an
      indent immediately after every paragraph number. Hmm. Oops. Duh.
      Page Dec 12 96 Display (Off) Beginning of Line () Find Next Code
      (Forward;Paragraph Number) If (!FindStatusFlag) Alert ("I can’t find a
      topic to tab.") End Macro End If ; =============================== Raw
      Read (anything;Right) If (RawObject=[Return-Hard Code]) Find Next Code
      (Backward;Paragraph Number) If (FindStatusFlag) If (!Var04) Assign
      (Var04;1) End If End If End if Page Dec 13 96 Smile - it gets worse
      Here’s an example from my Notes Editor set. This is the part that saves
      the front window; then, if that document is a footnote or endnote
      editor, looks for the original paper and saves that too. If the front
      window is not an editor but there’s an editor open for that paper, the
      macro again saves both files - the macro essentially handles a paper
      and a note editor as though it were one document, for the user’s
      convenience. So, while the macro saves editors and other documents with
      related names, it doesn’t touch other open files. To do this, I look
      for the substrings “Footnotes” and “Endnotes” in the name of the front
      window. If I find either, I then take the rest of the name of the front
      window and look for an open document with that string, now assigned to
      Var04, as part of its name. If I don’t find either, I know that a paper
      (or any document, with or without an open note editor), is the active
      document. This sequence gets the name of the paper, wherever it is.
      Comments follow in the code: Page Dec 14 96 Assign (Var01;FrontWindow)
      SubString Position (Var02;">~Footnotes";FrontWindow) SubString Position
      (Var03;">~Endnotes";FrontWindow) If (DocumentModifyFlag) Save End If If
      (Var02) SubString (Var04;2;Var02-2;FrontWindow); if there’s a Var02,
      then we get a Var04, which will be the paper name, or most of it End If
      If (Var03) SubString (Var04;2;Var03-2;FrontWindow); or, if there’s a
      Var03, then we get a Var04 End If If (Var04) Select Window (Var04) If
      (DocumentModifyFlag) Save End If Page Dec 15 96 End If On Error
      (endnote); this starts a sequential set of error handlers If (!Var02)
      Select Window ("<"$Var04$">~Footnotes"); if there’s not a Var02, then
      work with Var04 If (DocumentModifyFlag) Save End If End If Label
      (endnote) On Error (end) If (!Var03) Select Window
      ("<"$Var04$">~Endnotes"); if there’s not a Var03, then work with Var04
      If (DocumentModifyFlag) Save End If End If Page Dec 16 96 Thus, if
      there’s a Var02 or Var03, assign a Var04. Then, if there’s neither a
      Var02 nor a Var03, so no Var04, find a window with var04 as part of its
      name. Geez, John. Wanna go back to QuicKeys? This is what can ensue
      when you stare at the computer for too long at a time. Remember that
      scripts do exactly what you tell them to do, and what that is can make
      less sense than you thought. It doesn’t mean you’re a newbie - Apple
      Computer’s corporate headquarters isn’t on Infinite Loop Drive for
      nothing. It happens. Step through your macro, make a flowchart, or
      comment out (put semicolons in front of lines) the part of the script
      that isn’t working, and reactivate that code in small parts at a time.
      In general, looking at the big picture will get you out of the trouble
      that looking at too many details got you into. Who’s on first? Another
      way out of trouble is testing your script at various places. One
      bug-catcher I find effective is checking to see whether, at a given
      point, a variable contains what I think it does. Temporarily adding a
      line like: Page Dec 17 96 Alert (Var01) will show you that - as long as
      Var01 contains a string. If Var01 contains a number, the Alert command
      can’t work with that by itself. It can, though, work with a string
      joined to a number, thus: Alert (""$Var01) to help hunt down insects.
      Macros à la elegance Now then. Let me redeem myself, and write some
      code that runs. In fact, I’d like to finish these columns with a return
      to what most advanced users do with the macro feature most of the time:
      build something short and sweet that fits their working style and needs
      especially well. Of course, you know a lot about that already, so I’d
      like to pay attention here to some fine Page Dec 18 96 points of making
      a script 1) bulletproof, and 2) elegant. These are nice things for a
      macro to be. Here’s a script I cooked up to access QuickCorrect, a
      terrific feature, more quickly. In the stock program, you go into a
      dialog box and take several steps, including retyping the misspelling
      you want to add to QuickCorrect’s word list. This was just enough extra
      effort that I’d often skip it – and then be stuck making the same
      typing mistakes over and over. Was there any hope? Yes – a macro! The
      one-minute macro First, the basics. What I wanted to set up was a
      command that would take and use the misspelling as it originally
      occurred, right there in the document. A small dialog would then ask
      the user for a replacement. Armed with those two pieces of data, the
      macro then adds the word/replacement pair to QuickCorrect’s word list
      and makes the correction in the document. As a result, the user doesn’t
      have to retype the mistake somewhere else, and retype the correction
      somewhere else in addition to typing it in the document the first time.
      Page Dec 19 96 Off we go. In the on-line macro help, I saw that the
      macro token (or command) for QuickCorrect’s add-word feature was: Add
      Replacement (Word;Replacement) where both the parameters are character
      expressions: strings in quotes or variables containing strings. Why not
      select and copy the misspelling in the document, giving us the first
      parameter? The replacement could be given by the user, in a small
      dialog, and we could use it not only as the second parameter for
      QuickCorrect, but also type it into the document, with the Type Var
      command, to replace the selected misspelling while we’re at it. So we
      can start with: Select Word Copy Get Text (Var01;"Add QuickCorrect
      Entry";"Enter replacement:") Add Replacement (Clipboard;Var01) Type Var
      (Var01) Page Dec 20 96 which takes care of the basics. Bulletproofing
      Good design can be subtle. Often, a script runs fine in the context the
      programmer envisioned. Users’ behavior is hard to predict, though. Our
      code so far, for example, uses the Select Word command in a blithe
      assumption that there will in fact be a word to select. What if there
      isn’t, or what if the command selects the wrong word – which the macro
      will most certainly do if the insertion point isn’t where we thought it
      would be? This is less of a problem if the user is going to run the
      macro at the leading edge of the document but, if the user has gone
      back into an existing paragraph to add some text, there will be text to
      the right of the insertion point as well as to the left. If the
      insertion point is pushing existing text along as it goes, and the user
      has added a space after the misspelling (either inadvertently, or to
      see whether there’s already a QuickCorrect entry for it), the Select
      Word command will act on the wrong word. If the insertion point is not
      adjacent to or within a word (defined as some characters with a space
      or punctuation on both sides), the Select Word command is even less
      helpful. Page Dec 21 96 The first problem is easy enough to fix. We’ll
      start the macro with the line: Left () to get the insertion point back
      to the word we want, if we’re a space to the right of it. If there’s no
      space, this will move the insertion point into the word, which is fine.
      The raw facts The second potential problem is that the Select Word
      command might not find anything to select. We can address this with a
      simple check, using a command similar to Raw Read, which we learned in
      October. That command reads to the left or right of the insertion
      point, moving the insertion point as it does so. The command we’ll use
      this time, Raw Look, does much the same but does not move the insertion
      point. Both commands put the type of object they find into the
      RawObjectType variable, which we used in October. Both also put the
      contents of what they find in the RawObject variable, which we’ll use
      this time. Our strategy would be to see what character is to the
      immediate left of the insertion point. If it’s a space (remember, we’ve
      already moved left a space), we aren’t close enough to a Page Dec 22 96
      word for Select Word to work. The code is: Raw Look (char;Left); what’s
      the next character to the left? If (RawObject=' '); if a space Go
      (alert); tell the user and quit Else Select Word; we have a word to
      work with End If We could use something like: Repeat Raw Read
      (char;Left) Until (RawObject!=' ') to get to the word to the left, if
      there is such a thing and no matter how far. But macros that do action
      at a distance can be disconcerting to the user. They’re very cool,
      though. Anyway, at this point we can use the Copy command, as in the
      first sample code above. Page Dec 23 96 More fine points But let’s not
      use the Copy command right here. That command replaces anything that’s
      already on the clipboard, and the user might have something on the
      clipboard that’s worth keeping, other things being equal. Let’s use the
      Copy command at the last moment possible. That is going to be a step
      later than in the basic code shown above. In the meantime, the macro
      presents a dialog asking for the replacement. At this point, the user
      could decide not to do anything – the word is correct after all, or
      it’s not a mistyping the user makes often enough to want to add to
      QuickCorrect, or whatever. In this case, why grab the clipboard? Let’s
      give the user the replacement dialog first, and then, if the user
      actually puts something in that dialog, we can go ahead and copy the
      text selection. If the user doesn’t put anything in the text entry
      field of the dialog, he or she would then want to cancel it, by
      reaching for the mouse and clicking the Cancel button. Let’s add
      Page Dec 24 96 another fine touch here: that the user can cancel the
      dialog by pressing Return – with no text entered. It’s just that much
      faster and easier, which is what we’re up to in the first place. This
      we do with: Get Text (Var01;"Add QuickCorrect Entry";"Enter
      replacement:") If (!Var01); the dialog was closed and Var01 stayed
      empty Go (cancel) End If Copy so the macro branches to a Cancel label
      if no text was entered, and copies the selection in the document
      otherwise. A Cancel label gives us another option too. Without it, if
      the user clicks the Cancel button in the dialog, the macro ends,
      leaving a word selected. No real problem, but I try to write macros
      that do not leave selections behind them. This is simply because if the
      user isn’t watching things, his or her next action might be to type
      something, thereby replacing the selection. If what was originally
      selected turns out to be something the user wants to keep, and that
      word then disappears in the middle of some fast-paced word processing,
      let’s hope Page Dec 25 96 the user is lucky enough to find it later
      when proofreading. Better yet, let’s give this a simple fix with a
      Cancel label at the end of the macro with only two lines: Label
      (cancel) Right () deselecting the word, and putting the insertion point
      to its immediate right, just where the user is going to want it. And
      let’s start the whole macro with an On Cancel handler: On Cancel
      (cancel) which will direct execution to the Cancel label if the user
      clicks the Cancel button, or presses Return with an empty dialog. So no
      matter what the user does, the macro won’t leave selected text. Is all
      this “good design” worth it? I sure think so. Consider that it takes a
      minute or two to polish your code, and your users will appreciate those
      extra steps - especially if it means Page Dec 26 96 they won’t lose
      work. And we end up with this script: On Cancel (cancel) Left () Raw
      Look (char;Left) If (RawObject=' ') Go (alert) Else Select Word End If
      Get Text (Var01;"Add QuickCorrect Entry";"Enter replacement:") If
      (!Var01) Go (cancel) End If Copy Add Replacement (Clipboard;Var01) Type
      Var (Var01) Page Dec 27 96 End Macro Label (alert) Alert ("Your
      insertion point must be within a word, or only one space to the right
      of a word.") End Macro Label (cancel) Right () Looking forward . . .
      Not in the sense of raw look, but continuing to learn WP macros – I’ve
      said it before and, if this weren’t my last column I’d say it again:
      analyzing scripts is by far the best way to make progress. Any time you
      see a macro whose operation or interface interests you, dig into the
      code, and maybe flow-chart the structure, until you see why the author
      did it that way. You’ll steadily gain in your expertise. Now that
      you’re an expert, please share your efforts. Send them to the News, and
      you could see your name in print. Subscribe to the WP Mac mailing list,
      which has a lively discussion of macros as well as other topics, and
      share your scripts there. (Send the Page Dec 28 96 message “subscribe
      wp-l” to majordomo@...). There’s also a web-based discussion
      group at http://www.corelnet.com/corelnet/hyper/wpmctalk/index.html.
      You never know who might be just starting out with macros and, using
      your scripts, will see as you did how powerful WP really is. This
      concludes my tour of WordPerfect’s macro language. If you’ve kept with
      me for the past two years, you’re a master of the most advanced feature
      of the best word processing program on the best computer there is, to
      make your writing and editing efforts far more creative and productive
      than they’d otherwise be. Thanks for joining me, have the best of
      holidays, and good luck! *** John Rethorst, author of Teach Yourself
      WordPerfect, would like to thank the good people of WordPerfect for the
      opportunity to bring you these macro columns, and all of the News’
      readers for your interest. Contents Copyright © 1996 by John Rethorst.
      Used by permission. Page Dec 29 96 An Easier Way to Add QuickCorrect
      Entries by John Rethorst, our Macro Master QuickCorrect is great, but
      there are several steps to add a replacement. You have to open the
      QuickCorrect dialog and: 1) retype the misspelling 2) tab or click into
      the correction field3) type the correction 4) click Add 5) click OK
      6) manually correct the mistake in your document that inspired these
      steps. Instead, just call this macro when you see you’ve mistyped a
      word and want to correct it Page Dec 30 96 and make a QuickCorrect
      entry for it, all at the same time. You get this dialog: All you do is:
      1) type the correction 2) click OK to add the data to QuickCorrect’s
      list, and automatically correct the present mistake. Page Dec 31 96
      There’s no need to select the mistyped word first, but your insertion
      point should be within the word, or only one space to the right of the
      word. Enjoy! Database <--> Merge File WordPerfect 3.5 This macro can be
      used for two purposes: to change imported database text files into a
      WordPerfect data file (secondary merge format), or to convert
      WordPerfect data files into delimited files that can be exported for
      use in database programs. Step 1: Choose desired option: Page Dec 32 96
      Step 2: Choose format needed: This macro ships with WordPerfect 3.5 and
      is attached to the Sample Macros Read Me document located in the
      Documentation folder|WordPerfect folder. You can also access this macro
      from the December Macros Read Me file which is attached to this
      newsletter. Page Dec 33 96 We welcome your comments, feedback, tips &
      tricks, and questions you would like to see answered in the News at
      wpmacnews@... (technical support questions will not be answered
      here).You can send any technical support questions to
      wpsupport@.... Allow a 3-4 day turnaround. If you need live phone
      support for a WordPerfect for Macintosh product, reach us at (801)
      765-4020, Priority : $25 fee (800) 861-2070, $2 per minute (900)
      555-3535. When I try to use Grammatik I find that the option for it
      under the Tools menu is grayed out. What has happened? This will occur
      if the WordPerfect application and the GrammarLib (USA) file are not in
      the same folder. Place them in the same folder and Grammatik will again
      be available. This situation often occurs when users want to place the
      WordPerfect icon on the desktop or elsewhere for easy access to the
      program. Sometimes, the actual WordPerfect application icon is moved
      out of its folder. It is recommended that users make an alias of the
      application and place the alias on the desktop, leaving the actual
      application in the WordPerfect folder. An alias is created by clicking
      once on the WordPerfect application Page Dec 34 96 and selecting Make
      Alias from the File menu in the Finder. GrammarLib (USA) came into
      existence with WordPerfect 3.1. Versions 3.0 and 3.0a do not utilize
      this file. Thus, these versions do not experience this problem with
      Grammatik. How can I create prompts within a template? • Change your
      Button Bar to the Templates Bar by clicking on the button (found at
      the front of the Button Bar) and selecting Templates Bar. • Click on
      the Start button to format your template. • The Prompt button allows
      you to create automatic prompts within the template. Place your cursor
      at the location for the prompt and click on the Prompts button. Options
      AG will automatically use information from your Personal Information.
      Option H will allow you to create your own custom prompts. You can
      create as many prompts as you like within your template. • Click the
      Create button to save the template. Enter the name of your template and
      click OK. It is automatically saved for you in the WordPerfect 3.5
      folder|Templates folder. NOTE: The Templates Bar is not included in
      versions of WordPerfect prior to 3.5. Page Dec 35 96 I tried using the
      3.5.2 updater to update my WordPerfect 3.5. The updating process
      appeared to go smoothly, but once finished, nothing was updated. The
      WordPerfect icon still shows the old Novell icon and if I Get Info on
      the WordPerfect application, it shows the version as 3.5, not 3.5.2, as
      it should be.Any ideas?This may occur if you are using a disk
      compression utility called AutoDoubler and installed WordPerfect on a
      compressed drive. Copying WordPerfect to an uncompressed part of the
      hard drive and running the updater should allow it to properly update
      the program. WordPerfect may then be copied back to its original
      location. Page Dec 36 96 Now you seem them, now you don’t. Here are the
      keystrokes to Show/Hide the Tool bars: Command-Option-R Shows/Hides
      Ruler Command-Option-L Shows/Hides Layout Bar
      Command-Option-F Shows/Hides Font Bar Command-Option-S Shows/Hides
      Styles Bar Command-Option-T Shows/Hides Table Bar
      Command-Option-J Shows/Hides List Bar Command-Option-M Shows/Hides
      Merge Bar Command-Option-B Shows/Hides Button Bar
      Command-Option-W Shows/Hides Status Bar Command-R Shows/Hides Ruler and
      any Tool Bar Showing Page Dec 37 96 The Speech, Bookmark and HTML Tool
      Bars do not have pre-assigned keystrokes. Thus, keystrokes can be
      assigned for the following features: Speech Bar Show/Hide Toggle
      Bookmark Bar Toggle HTML Bar To assign a keystroke: 1. Select
      Preferences from the Edit pull-down menu. 2. Click on the Keyboard
      button to open the Keyboard dialog. 3. Make sure Type (found at the
      upper left corner) is set to Commands. 4. Select the desired command
      from the list, i.e. Toggle HTML Bar. 5. Click the Assign button to open
      the Assign Keystroke window. 6. Press the desired keystroke, i.e.
      Option-T, for the command and click the Assign button. 7. Click the
      Done button to close the Keyboard window. 8. Close the Preferences
      window. Layout|Footnotes|Options. Change the position of the footnotes
      from Bottom of Page to After Text. This option will ensure that your
      footnotes print directly below the text when the text does not extend
      to the bottom of the page. Page Dec 38 96 To increase or decrease the
      font size of text one point size at a time, select the text to be
      changed and then press Command-Shift-> (greater than) to increase the
      size or Command-Shift-< (less than) to decrease the size. Use
      Command-Tab to tab within a table cell. Page Dec 39 96 I have set quite
      a few defaults within the Document style, but the Styles Tool Bar
      continues to show that styles are not being used. Why? Every new
      document you create in WordPerfect utilizes the Document style as a
      default. The Styles Tool Bar will display any style being used EXCEPT
      for the Document style. This style is automatically used each time you
      create a new document but it is not indicated on the Styles Tool Bar.
      The button will continue to display until you use any other style
      within your document. Because the Document style is used as the base
      for each new document you create, feel free to set any universal
      default settings within this style: Page Dec 40 96 • Click on the
      button. • Click on the button. • Select the style titled, Document. •
      Click the Edit button. • The Document style window opens on the bottom
      of your screen. Select your default settings, i.e. font, font size, tab
      settings (you make your selections just as you would in any document by
      clicking on the appropriate menus). Notice that the Show Codes window
      on the bottom of the screen will display each default setting. • Close
      the Document style window by clicking on the button at the upper left
      corner. • Remember, these settings are defaults for EVERY new document
      you create. TIP: For 2.1 users, the Normal style is used for default
      settings. The Document style is used in versions 3.0, 3.1, and 3.5.
      What is a header row and how do you create one? A header row is used
      within a single table that spans multiple pages. It contains the
      information (usually headings for each column) that you want to appear
      as the first row of Page Dec 41 96 the table on each page. Creating a
      header row:• Place your cursor in the first row of the table. • Click
      on the Table menu and select Header Rows. • Enter the number of rows
      you want as your header rows. If you want only the first row of the
      table to be used as the header row, enter a 1. If you want the first
      two rows of the table to be used as header rows, enter a 2, etc. •
      Click OK. Removing a header row: • Place your cursor in the first row
      of the table. • Click on the Table menu and select Header Rows. • Enter
      the number 0. • Click OK. Page Dec 42 96 It’s a repeat. This
      information was posted in last months issue, but we still have many
      requests for the Updater. We want to make sure that everyone has this
      information. So, here it is again ya’ll: Where Can I get the
      WordPerfect 3.5.2 Updater? We know you have waited long enough and we
      can’t thank you enough for your patience and support! The WordPerfect
      3.5.2 Updater is now available on the Corel ftp site, on America
      Online, and on CompuServe. To locate the Updater on our ftp site, type
      the following line of text in the Location line in your Internet
      browser: ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/wordperfect/wpmac/updates The file is
      called WordPerfect 3.5.2 Updater.hqx. Page Dec 43 96 To download the
      Updater from America Online, type in keyword:word processing and you’ll
      find a button in the upper right-hand corner of the forum window which
      allows you to download the WordPerfect 3.5.2 Updater. On CompuServe,
      type GO CORELMAC and click on the Browse Libraries button. Choose the
      General Info Library and you’ll find the WordPerfect 3.5.2 Updater
      listed in the files there. **Check out the Direct Questions section for
      a tip on the Updater. Page Dec 44 96 We want to hear from you! Give us
      your comments and take the opportunity to write an article, macro, or
      tip and trick for the News. Submit all entries to: wpmacnews@....
      Each entry is not guaranteed to be published in the News, but we will
      definitely work with you and do our best to make sure you achieve your
      select a free CD from a stash of Corel WordPerfect CDs (selection may
      vary)? The only requirement for this free CD is to have your article
      published as the Cover Story in WPMac News. We are giving you the
      opportunity to write for us. We will select those articles that are
      informative, easy-to-read, and cover any of the features found in
      WordPerfect for the Macintosh. It’s as easy as this: • Pick a feature,
      or group of similar features, from WPMac. • Write an informative
      feature article. (Review some of the Feature Highlights from our Back
      Issues for helpful hints and guidelines). • Submit a copy of the
      article to: wpmacnews@.... Subject should be Cover Story. Please
      leave your name, address, phone, and email. Page Dec 45 96 • We will
      respond as soon as possible. No guarantees that your article will be
      published in the News (don’t worry, we will help as much as possible).
      • We will let you know if your article has been accepted as a Cover
      Story for the News and what month it will be featured. • Any questions,
      please send to: wpmacnews@... • We reserve the right to edit any
      part (content, format, etc.) of your article. LET OUR READERS SEE THOSE
      MACROS If writing is not your thing, but macros are...this is for you.
      We want to see what macros you have written to help with your work in
      WPMac. Submit any macro written in WordPerfect for Macintosh to
      wpmacnews@... (be sure you provide your name, address, phone, and
      email). Again, no guarantees that your macro will appear in the News.
      But, if we love your macro and think our readers will to, you will
      receive a free, snazzy WPMac mug. SUBMIT YOUR TIPS & TRICKS What is
      your favorite WPMac tip or trick? No free stuff given away for this
      one, but we will publish your name along side your entry in the News.
      Submit to wpmacnews@.... Include name, phone, and email. Page Dec
      46 96 GIVE US THE SCOOP What features or questions would you like to
      see covered in the News? We want to make sure that we provide you the
      best information possible. Let us know if there is anything we can
      cover in the News that will make your life and work much simpler. WE
      AIM TO PLEASE Let us know if you like the News and if you have any
      suggestions for improvement. In case it hasn’t been mentioned enough,
      send your comments to wpmacnews@....