Re: [wordperfectmac]: Good idea; and another good idea

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
      Hi Rick,

      On Jan 13, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

      > It's just great to have them
      > accessible, so that everything that's been said about, say, "document
      > errors," can be found. A big thank you to John for taking on this
      > project.

      You're most welcome. The document error discussions are a good example.

      John
    • Tim Condon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
        Greetings to everyone on this list. I'm new here, having just
        signed on. And I don't even own an Apple machine; all I have at the present
        is PC's. But with the introduction of the headless mini-mac, I'm thinking
        I'll go ahead and get one and plug in an extra monitor, mouse, and keyboard
        I have sitting around.
        Right now I run my business and personal lives on WordPerfect
        12.0. I see that WP got out of supporting an Apple version years ago. So
        that means I'd like to learn about using WP on Apple now, with whatever's
        available.
        Or would it be better to switch to the Apple word-processor,
        whatever it might be? Thoughts?

        Tim Condon---Ofc 813-251-2626---Fax 813-254-2979---Email tim@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tim@t...> wrote:
          > So that means I'd like to learn about using WP on Apple now,
          > with whatever's available.

          Tim, plenty is available. You might want to subscribe to the WP-List,
          at www.r8ix.com/lists.html, which is a forum for current discussion.
          This Yahoo group is an archive of eight years of that list, plus
          links and files.

          > Or would it be better to switch to the Apple
          > word-processor, whatever it might be? Thoughts?

          I keep hearing rumors . . .

          John R.
        • Richard S. Albright
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
            I hope I don't sound like I'm quibbling, but is there a way to get
            from the digest number (the number that appears in the index
            you've created) and the Yahoo message number? I keep getting
            those confused, and will put what I'll refer to as "our" message
            number in the Yahoo "go to message #" field, to find out that the
            message I go to has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. And
            because I don't understand Yahoo's numbering scheme (which
            at times doesn't even appear to be sequential), I always end up
            doing a lot of "firsts," lasts," or "nexts" to try to get to the page that
            has the right archive on it. Maybe I just need to work with it awhile
            to get the hang of it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

            Thanks,
            Rick Albright

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Rethorst

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Richard S. Albright"
              <logres@r...> wrote:

              > is there a way to get
              > from the digest number (the number that appears in the index
              > you've created) and the Yahoo message number? I keep getting
              > those confused, and will put what I'll refer to as "our" message
              > number in the Yahoo "go to message #" field, to find out that the
              > message I go to has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. And
              > because I don't understand Yahoo's numbering scheme (which
              > at times doesn't even appear to be sequential), I always end up
              > doing a lot of "firsts," lasts," or "nexts" to try to get to the
              page that
              > has the right archive on it.

              The Yahoo message numbers do not correspond to the digest numbers.
              This was the result of some trial and error uploading the digests. I
              wrote an Applescript to mail each one of the digests, at 15 minute
              intervals so they'd arrive in order (internet email travels in
              "packets", taking different routes according to traffic
              loads, and an email sent after another one might easily arrive before
              it). 953 digests at the rate of four per hour has the Applescript
              running for ten days, but after one day I noticed they were wildly
              out of order. I then had the unusually (for me) bright idea of using
              Yahoo's SMTP (outgoing) mail server, rather than my ISP's,
              easy enough since I had a Yahoo mail account. That worked much
              better, so I was able to cut the Applescript interval to two minutes.
              But many message numbers had by then been used up, and I don't
              see a way to reset them.

              After finding the digest numbers you want via the index, just click
              the Previous or Next buttons on the message page to navigate to the
              digest you want. Alternatively, a search of the digests (not the
              index) using the Yahoo engine will return a list of only those
              digests containing the search string. The only disadvantage of that
              is that Yahoo searches only about 50 digests at a time.

              John R.
            • Rick Albright
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2005
                Thanks for the explanation, John. As I said, I'm not complaining,
                really. I'm far more grateful to have the archives available; it's just
                a case of having to adjust to the paradigm, and I wanted to be sure I
                understood how the archives are structured.
                Best,
                Rick Albright