Re: Good idea

  • brsp2
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <
      jrethorst@p...> wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "brsp2" <brsp2@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Glad to see that online searching is now available for some of the
      > > files. I can't see for the life of me, however, how that is done. I
      > > can't find a "Search" link or choice anywhere in the wordperfectmac
      > > group pages.
      >
      > At the top of the Messages page there's a banner ad, below which is a blue bar extending
      > the width of the page. At the right, an inch below the bar, there's a text entry box with a
      > Search Archive button to its right. This searches 25-50 digests at a time; click Next below
      > the search results to search further.
      >
      > An easier and faster way to search the digests is to open the Index message, just below
      > digest #953. With that message open, use your browser's search facility.
      >
      > >Also, how is it possible to search compressed download
      > > files?
      >
      > It's not, but it's less useful to search contents of the Files section, most of which are e.g.
      > language files and specific macros.

      OK. I see now. I thought the search function was supposed to be for
      the Files page. Thanks for answering so promptly.
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
        On Jan 11, 2005, at 4:50 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

        > At the top of the Messages page there's a banner ad, below which is a
        > blue bar extending
        > the width of the page. At the right, an inch below the bar, there's a
        > text entry box with a
        > Search Archive button to its right. This searches 25-50 digests at a
        > time; click Next below
        > the search results to search further.
        > An easier and faster way to search the digests is to open the Index
        > message, just below
        > digest #953. With that message open, use your browser's search
        > facility.

        Thanks for the tips. I had visited the site before I saw this, and I
        did eventually figure out how to search the archives. Although it took
        me awhile, I'm not complaining! It's just great to have them
        accessible, so that everything that's been said about, say, "document
        errors," can be found. A big thank you to John for taking on this
        project.

        And a belated thank you to Bill Hunter for his previous tip about using
        the Laser Writer driver to generate a PS file (which I did know about)
        and then using MacOSX's Preview to open the file and convert to PDF
        (which I did not). This is not hard to do and has been very useful to
        me. A few years ago I bought the full Acrobat (version 5), but found
        the OS9 PDF creation facility, using the virtual printer, very quirky
        and unreliable. For no reason I could ever discover, it would
        periodically lose the ability to do this, and I'd have to either create
        a new desktop printer or, in a few cases, completely reinstall the
        Acrobat package. I never succeeded in getting any help from Adobe, but
        now that I can use the Preview function, this is a much better
        solution.
        Rick Albright
        logres@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
          Hi Rick,

          On Jan 13, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

          > It's just great to have them
          > accessible, so that everything that's been said about, say, "document
          > errors," can be found. A big thank you to John for taking on this
          > project.

          You're most welcome. The document error discussions are a good example.

          John
        • Tim Condon
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
            Greetings to everyone on this list. I'm new here, having just
            signed on. And I don't even own an Apple machine; all I have at the present
            is PC's. But with the introduction of the headless mini-mac, I'm thinking
            I'll go ahead and get one and plug in an extra monitor, mouse, and keyboard
            I have sitting around.
            Right now I run my business and personal lives on WordPerfect
            12.0. I see that WP got out of supporting an Apple version years ago. So
            that means I'd like to learn about using WP on Apple now, with whatever's
            available.
            Or would it be better to switch to the Apple word-processor,
            whatever it might be? Thoughts?

            Tim Condon---Ofc 813-251-2626---Fax 813-254-2979---Email tim@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tim@t...> wrote:
              > So that means I'd like to learn about using WP on Apple now,
              > with whatever's available.

              Tim, plenty is available. You might want to subscribe to the WP-List,
              at www.r8ix.com/lists.html, which is a forum for current discussion.
              This Yahoo group is an archive of eight years of that list, plus
              links and files.

              > Or would it be better to switch to the Apple
              > word-processor, whatever it might be? Thoughts?

              I keep hearing rumors . . .

              John R.
            • Richard S. Albright
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
                I hope I don't sound like I'm quibbling, but is there a way to get
                from the digest number (the number that appears in the index
                you've created) and the Yahoo message number? I keep getting
                those confused, and will put what I'll refer to as "our" message
                number in the Yahoo "go to message #" field, to find out that the
                message I go to has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. And
                because I don't understand Yahoo's numbering scheme (which
                at times doesn't even appear to be sequential), I always end up
                doing a lot of "firsts," lasts," or "nexts" to try to get to the page that
                has the right archive on it. Maybe I just need to work with it awhile
                to get the hang of it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

                Thanks,
                Rick Albright

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2005
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Richard S. Albright"
                  <logres@r...> wrote:

                  > is there a way to get
                  > from the digest number (the number that appears in the index
                  > you've created) and the Yahoo message number? I keep getting
                  > those confused, and will put what I'll refer to as "our" message
                  > number in the Yahoo "go to message #" field, to find out that the
                  > message I go to has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. And
                  > because I don't understand Yahoo's numbering scheme (which
                  > at times doesn't even appear to be sequential), I always end up
                  > doing a lot of "firsts," lasts," or "nexts" to try to get to the
                  page that
                  > has the right archive on it.

                  The Yahoo message numbers do not correspond to the digest numbers.
                  This was the result of some trial and error uploading the digests. I
                  wrote an Applescript to mail each one of the digests, at 15 minute
                  intervals so they'd arrive in order (internet email travels in
                  "packets", taking different routes according to traffic
                  loads, and an email sent after another one might easily arrive before
                  it). 953 digests at the rate of four per hour has the Applescript
                  running for ten days, but after one day I noticed they were wildly
                  out of order. I then had the unusually (for me) bright idea of using
                  Yahoo's SMTP (outgoing) mail server, rather than my ISP's,
                  easy enough since I had a Yahoo mail account. That worked much
                  better, so I was able to cut the Applescript interval to two minutes.
                  But many message numbers had by then been used up, and I don't
                  see a way to reset them.

                  After finding the digest numbers you want via the index, just click
                  the Previous or Next buttons on the message page to navigate to the
                  digest you want. Alternatively, a search of the digests (not the
                  index) using the Yahoo engine will return a list of only those
                  digests containing the search string. The only disadvantage of that
                  is that Yahoo searches only about 50 digests at a time.

                  John R.
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 16, 2005
                    Thanks for the explanation, John. As I said, I'm not complaining,
                    really. I'm far more grateful to have the archives available; it's just
                    a case of having to adjust to the paradigm, and I wanted to be sure I
                    understood how the archives are structured.
                    Best,
                    Rick Albright