WP-L-Digest 2005/01/06 #953

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2005
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:21:19 -0800
      From: Leo Rivers <l_rivers [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Re: Filters: I meant to say "other than MS" and

      . ...I was unclear, and it was my bad. I am trying to find a cross
      platform alternative to Microsoft Office, the way WordPerfect was. I
      run Mac OS X. 9.2, Intell and SuSE Linux. I had high hopes for Star
      Office in it's Open office form, but they aren't there yet.

      Leo

      On 12/23/04 6:51 PM, "Leo Rivers" <l_rivers [email address
      protected]org> wrote:

      Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning .

      I have 20 years (it seems about right) of Mac WordPerfect files.

      MacLink does somewhat translate them. I would LOVE to preserve
      footnotes and tables, though. Can I hope for a direct import path
      into ANY major Word Processing platform ever?

      Break my heart, I've been expecting it.

      I just created a test document in WP Mac, put in a simple table and
      added a
      footnote -- and saved it as RTF.

      I double-clicked on it & Word opened it -- perfectly.

      WAR IS PEACE - FREEDOM IS SLAVERY - IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:46:32 -0800
      From: Midi <midi_lists [email address protected]Subject: Re: Filters:
      Import-Export & an Adobe Warning

      Leo,

      In all my years working with PageMaker and now with some other Layout
      programs, I would say that imports from any word processor are suspect.
      Although PageMaker supported Word, when I took my WP files to Word and
      put them into PageMaker, I might as well have put the words into BBEdit
      and figured out the formatting I wanted in PageMaker.

      Believe it or not, Word can be imported into Freeway (a webpage layout
      program) but any page created with the Word document clearly in the page
      cannot be read on a PC with Internet Explorer.

      Midi

      Leo caused electrons to hula in cyberspace with:

      I paid my $400 and found out it did NOT! After MUCH faq pursuit I
      discovered they misled me. Version 1.0 of the Windows Adobe InDesign
      CS had such a filter. All other versions and platforms did not.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:37:13 -0500
      From: Smokey Ardisson <alqahira [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      NeoOffice J 1.1b
      Ah, I was going to send an "official" announcement to the list on
      behalf of the NeoOffice/J team and the libwpd team (the folks behind
      the WP filters), but I've been swamped with the launch and Geoff beat
      me to it :-) (and I'm on digest). So just a short FYI to add to
      Geoff's announcement/review.

      At 8:05 PM -0500 on 12/23/04, Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address
      protected]uk> wrote in WP-L:

      However,
      while it is big (117Mb download) and it is clever (it opens WP3.5
      files), it's not very clever - it strips footnotes from any WP3.5e
      file that it opens.

      NeoOffice/J 1.1b is the first test vehicle for the WP3.5e (aka
      WPD4--from the Mac filetype code) support (it's called "experimental"
      support right now by the libwpd team) for any of the products using
      libwpd to import WP documents (AbiWord, OpenOffice.org proper,
      perhaps KOffice and others). Thanks to Kevin McCoy, BTW, who earlier
      in this year sent me the specs for the format to pass on to the
      developers, enabling the inclusion of the experimental WPD4 support.
      It was just turned on in the libraries a week ago :-)

      That said, the WPD4 support is based on the WP3.0-3.5.4 (aka WPD3)
      support, which has only begun to be implemented in libwpd (first
      tests were in October). Just the very basics have been implemented
      so far, but the rest will come, eventually. The support in libwpd
      for the PC 6.0-whatever version WP-Win is now documents is very good,
      so if your WP3.x->WP6.x export filter doesn't crash WP-Mac like it
      does for me :( you can see where the filter is headed (although there
      are little bits here and there still to be perfected). But yeah, I
      can't import my term papers yet :-)

      If you want an OSX word processor that is not MS
      and you can put up with waiting for the Java environment to load
      invisibly, it's very sophisticated. It would, however, be a new
      venture, not a migration from WP3.5e.

      Yep. Although *someday* it *will* be a migration path; hopefully
      "someday" will be before Apple eliminates Classic or changessomething
      in Classic that breaks WP. :-)

      I'm happy to answer any more questions, either on-list if appropriate
      (cc me since I'm on digest) or off, or you can stop by our (Neo/J's)
      fora: <http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums>

      Happy holidays, and happy WordPefect-ing, to all!
      Smokey
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:27:21 +0000
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning

      Tables can even be dragged from WP in Classic to a Word document in
      OS X. Footnotes are trickier. I save as MS Word 6 using WP's built in
      filter. Cross-referencing is lost, but nothing else. You may want to
      edit the WP Default Style in Word before doing this, however, so that
      it matches the normal document style you use in WP.

      Geoff

      protected]org> wrote:

      Filters: Import-Export & an Adobe Warning .
      I have 20 years (it seems about right) of Mac WordPerfect files.

      MacLink does somewhat translate them. I would LOVE to preserve
      footnotes and tables, though. Can I hope for a direct import path
      into ANY major Word Processing platform ever?

      Break my heart, I've been expecting it.

      I just created a test document in WP Mac, put in a simple table and
      added a
      footnote -- and saved it as RTF.

      I double-clicked on it & Word opened it -- perfectly.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:59:43 -0800
      From: Leo Rivers <l_rivers [email address protected]org>
      Subject: Re: Filters: It seems NeoOffice imports...

      . ...my WordPerfect Mac OS 3.e files. My novel sized files.

      NeoOffice is the new Mac OS X version of Star Office or Open Office.

      I just "open" the file and after a little chewing it appears.

      This may just be the cross platform Word processor that can at least
      carry my Word Perfect files, (several hundred) across the Abyss.
      I haven't checked all the details,... I am hopeful.

      Hal (Leo Rivers -
      www.efn.org/~l_rivers/

      See Below:

      NeoOffice
      www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

      Neolithic Office for JavaTM, or NeoOffice/J for short. NeoOffice/J
      is a reasonably stable version of the OpenOffice.org office suite
      that has been engineered to run natively on Mac OS X. It is open
      source software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
      and is available for free from the NeoOffice/J download page.

      --

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:08:49 -0500
      From: Smokey Ardisson <alqahira [email address protected]Subject:
      NeoOffice/J WP support followup/request

      One more note to follow-up on last week's post about WP support in
      NeoOffice/J.

      As I mentioned, Neo/J is the first app to benefit from the
      "experimental" WP-Mac 3.5e (WPD4) file import; it's not been turned
      on in the underlying utilities (libwpd) yet. Before it does get
      turned on at large, the the libwpd team wanted feedback from Neo/J
      users as to the "stability" of the 3.5e/WPD4 support: does it ever
      crash Neo/J when trying to import a 3.5e file, or import a 3.5e file
      as a blank document, for instance.

      I don't have a very large WPD4 document set (3.5e didn't play nicely
      with the power management on my Wallstreet, so I stuck with 3.5.4,
      which I owned....), so I (and the libwpd team) would appreciate
      feedback from others, if any of you are so inclined to give Neo/J aspin.

      If you do test some of your WPD4/3.5e documents, any comments (it
      crashes, it works "fine," etc.) about the stability (we know lots of
      features aren't imported yet) are appreciated, either in the thread
      <http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
      name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t–2>
      or by email to me <alqahira [email address protected]Thanks, and happy
      new year!
      Smokey
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
      Georgetown University
      alqahira [email address protected]http://www.geocities.com/sardisson/
      "He is a fool who has forgotten what became of his ancestry
      seven generations before him and who does not care what will
      become of his progeny seven generations after him."
      --Kazakh Proverb

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:19:46 +0000
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: NeoOffice/J WP support followup/request

      Smokey

      No problem opening or editing, even large files (1mb). However, no
      footnotes come across, tables are merely a series of numbers where
      the borders/lines should be plus the concomitant text, and while the
      space for the graphic was left, the graphic did not materialize.

      Geoff

[...]

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:35:54 -0500
      From: hunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Mac 'Office'?

      Fasten seat belts. This rumor has steamed to critical mass over the
      past week. The 'List' will be 'crying', either tears or cheers over
      'Work-Perfect'.
      http://news.com.com/Apple+office+software+seems+likely/2100 1012_3
      -5511929.html?tag=st.pop

      Best,
      Bill Hunter

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:35:38 -0500
      From: Neil Kosh <neilk9 [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mac
      'Office'?

      Fasten seat belts. This rumor has steamed to critical mass over the
      past week. The 'List' will be 'crying', either tears or cheers over
      'Work-Perfect'.
      http://news.com.com/Apple+office+software+seems+likely/2100 1012_3
      -5511929.html?tag=st.pop

      Best,
      Bill Hunter

      Netscape and Internet Explorer both report "The page you've
      requested cannot be found."

      Neil Kosh

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:47:02 -0500
      From: hunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mac
      'Office'?

      1. Suggest Safari or Firefox
      2. go to the following and select relevant item.
      http://news.com.com/

      On Jan 5, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Neil Kosh wrote:

      Fasten seat belts. This rumor has steamed to critical mass over the
      past week. The 'List' will be 'crying', either tears or cheers over
      'Work-Perfect'.
      http://news.com.com/Apple+office+software+seems+likely/2100 1012_3
      -5511929.html?tag=st.pop

      Best,
      Bill Hunter

      Netscape and Internet Explorer both report "The page you've requested
      cannot be found."

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:53:39 -0500
      From: hunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mac
      'Office'?

      FYI: if you look at your email, the diagnosis is there. Line breaks
      introduced by servers have disrupted the URL. Just cut and paste
      theentire address without introduction of any extraneous spaces into
      your
      browser, a routine first aid procedure.
      Bill Hunter

      On Jan 5, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Neil Kosh wrote:

      Netscape and Internet Explorer both report "The page you've requested
      cannot be found."

      Neil Kosh

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:50:08 -0500
      From: Neil Kosh <neilk9 [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mac
      'Office'?

      FYI: if you look at your email, the diagnosis is there. Line
      breaks introduced by servers have disrupted the URL. Just cut and
      paste the entire address without introduction of any extraneous
      spaces into your browser, a routine first aid procedure.
      Bill Hunter

      That's the first thing I did. Then I enclosed the entire URL within<>
      and that , too, failed.

      Rish Casey's offering of
      http://news.com.com/2102-1012_3-5511929.html?tag=st.util.print works.

      Neil Kosh

      On Jan 5, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Neil Kosh wrote:

      Netscape and Internet Explorer both report "The page you'verequested
      cannot be found."

      Neil Kosh

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:36:00 -0500
      From: David Lesher <lesher [email address protected]Subject: Re: Mac
      'Office'?

      At 8:35 -0500 2005:01:05, hunter wrote:
      Fasten seat belts. This rumor has steamed to critical mass over the
      past week. The 'List' will be 'crying', either tears or cheers over
      'Work-Perfect'.
      http://news.com.com/Apple+office+software+seems+likely/2100
      1012_3-5511929.html?tag=st.pop

      Instead of Apple support for Open Office; sigh....

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:16:22 -0500
      From: "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1 [email address
      protected]Subject: Re: Mac 'Office'?

      hunter wrote:
      Fasten seat belts. This rumor has steamed to critical mass over the
      past week. The 'List' will be 'crying', either tears or cheers over
      'Work-Perfect'.
      http://news.com.com/Apple+office+software+seems+likely/2100 1012_3
      -5511929.html?tag=st.pop
      Best,
      Bill Hunter

      Seems Likely. Since I ust read an article in CNET news that Apple was
      sueing a website for spilling the beans.

      But in order to file the had to admit in court papers the posibility of
      such as a reason for the suit.
      -----------------
      Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET,
      Sterling
      616 Liberty Street |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276
      632-0868
      Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |pjones [email address
      protected]ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
      -----------------

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones [email address
      protected]http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm>
      <http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/90th_Birthday/index.htm>
      <http://vpea.exis.net>

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:08:43 -0800From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email
      address protected]Subject: Re: Mac 'Office'?

      Phillip Jones, C.E.T. said:

      Seems Likely. Since I ust read an article in CNET news that Apple was
      sueing a website for spilling the beans.

      My strong suspicion is that any new Apple word processor will be more
      like AppleWorks than WordPerfect. It doesn't make sense for Apple to
      release a high-end word processor to compete with Microsoft Word. Doing
      so could drive Microsoft Office off of the Mac platform. (As Safari did
      to Internet Explorer.) That's the last thing that Apple wants. Many
      switchers from Windows are only willing to switch because they are
      assured that they can continue to use Office on a Macintosh.

      See:

      Why Switch?
      http://www.apple.com/switch/whyswitch/
      Item #8