WP-L-Digest 2004/10/03 #949

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:49:13 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP 3.5e
      and Macro(s)

      Mendelson posted a WP Installers 'Encyclopedia' many months ago which=20
      is on my 'keepers' list. Start with his excellent reference
      inclusive=20=

      of links you seek.
      Bill Hunter

      On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:40 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

      > In 3.5e, there are 8 macros but nowhere the two mentioned above,
      > even though I had installed them successfully some years before.
      > It's clear the most recent installation eradicates all the=20
      > pre-installed
      > macros in favour of its own restricted set.
      >
      > Not only do I consider that a dumb move but I'd also like the others
      > =97 all of them, in fact =97 back in place. So, I have three
      questions =
      > want to put before you:
      > 1. Where can I (if at all possible) find a list of missing =
      macros?
      > 2. Where can I find them, i.e. in which earlier versions of =
      WP? I
      > believe I still have all the versions to hand.
      > 3. How can I (if at all possible) "harvest" them where they =
      are
      > to be found and then incorporate them all into 3.5e, =
      which is
      > my currently installed version

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:41:24 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      3.5e and Macro(s)

      On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:40 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

      > In 3.5e, there are 8 macros but nowhere the two mentioned above,
      > even though I had installed them successfully some years before.
      > It's clear the most recent installation eradicates all the=20
      > pre-installed
      > macros in favour of its own restricted set.
      >
      > Not only do I consider that a dumb move but I'd also like the others
      > =97 all of them, in fact =97 back in place. So, I have three
      > questions I want to put before you:
      > 1. Where can I (if at all possible) find a list of missing
      > macros?
      > 2. Where can I find them, i.e. in which earlier versions
      of =
      > WP? I believe I still have all the versions to hand.
      > 3. How can I (if at all possible) "harvest" them where
      they =
      > are to be found and then incorporate them all into 3.5e, =
      > which is my currently installed version

      I don't know of a list. Versions 2.0 through 3.5e came with many of the
      same macros, some of which were updated as the versions went along. The
      way to harvest them is to copy macros from one library file to another.
      Do you have all previous versions as installers or as the installed
      files? If the former, move your library out to the desktop and install
      the first version you have. Then copy macros from that (new) library to
      the one on your desktop. Delete the install including the new library,
      and repeat with each version. If your archives are of installed
      versions including the library files, copy macros from there to the
      desktop library. When done, move the library from the desktop back to
      System > Preferences > WordPerfect (folder) and you're set.

      If you'd like to copy the collected macros from the library to a
      document and ask Aron, our list moderator, if he'd be willing to post
      it at ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff, I know we'd all appreciate the
      additional resource.

      The Document Experts set already at r8ix has a selection of macros, but
      I don't know whether it has the particular ones you're looking for.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:41:32 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject:
      Document Experts goodie collection

      My stuffed copy of this has become corrupted, and the copy I downloaded
      from ftp.r8ix.com is corrupted too. Does anyone have a good copy?
      Please send it to me.

      Thanks,
      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:31:30 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      3.5e and Macro(s)

      John:
      Thank you for your reply: it corroborates what I thopught might be the
      case
      On Sunday, September 26, 2004, at 08:41 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:40 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:
      >
      > > In 3.5e, there are 8 macros but nowhere the two mentioned above,
      > > even though I had installed them successfully some years before.
      > > It's clear the most recent installation eradicates all the=20
      > > pre-installed
      > > macros in favour of its own restricted set.
      > >
      > > Not only do I consider that a dumb move but I'd also like the others
      > > =97 all of them, in fact =97 back in place. So, I have three
      > > questions I want to put before you:
      > > 1. Where can I (if at all possible) find a list of
      missing
      > > macros?
      > > 2. Where can I find them, i.e. in which earlier versions
      > of =
      > > WP? I believe I still have all the versions to hand.
      > > 3. How can I (if at all possible) "harvest" them where
      > they =
      > > are to be found and then incorporate them all into 3.5e, =
      > > which is my currently installed version
      >
      > I don't know of a list. Versions 2.0 through 3.5e came with many of
      > the same macros, some of which were updated as the versions went
      > along. The way to harvest them is to copy macros from one library file
      > to another. Do you have all previous versions as installers or as the
      > installed files? If the former, move your library out to the desktop
      > and install the first version you have. Then copy macros from that
      > (new) library to the one on your desktop. Delete the install including
      > the new library, and repeat with each version. If your archives are of
      > installed versions including the library files, copy macros from there
      > to the desktop library. When done, move the library from the desktop
      > back to System > Preferences > WordPerfect (folder) and you're set.
      >
      > If you'd like to copy the collected macros from the library to a
      > document and ask Aron, our list moderator, if he'd be willing to post
      > it at ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff, I know we'd all appreciate the
      > additional resource.
      >
      > The Document Experts set already at r8ix has a selection of macros,
      > but I don't know whether it has the particular ones you're looking >
      for.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:55:33 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      3.5e and Macro(s)

      John:
      Thank you for your reply: it corroborates what I thought might =
      be the=20
      case. I'll try and assemble the macros and forward them as you suggest.
      By the way, we are all, I'm sure, indebted to you for the work =
      you've=20
      done on WordPerfect. As an (ex)academic, I'm just sorry more people=20
      aren't aware of WordPerfect and its capabilities -- they're almost
      all=20=

      captivated by Word.
      On a different note: I'm desperate to know how 3.5e handles the=20=

      setting for odd/even pages. Even as a longtime user of WordPerfect,
      I=20=

      can find nowhere to set the binding width of a document. In spite of=20
      the fact that the Help says it's done in Page Setup, there's no such=20
      option there. Choosinging Corel WordPefect 3.5e in the Page Setup or=20
      Print options brings no joy either.=09
      Mind you, it occurs to me that it might have to do with the =
      printer=20
      I'm using and its driver: it's a HP PhotoSmart 1000. I mention this,=20
      because I find that, if I choose a Laserwriter 8, the binding width=20
      option is offered in the Page Setup. Unfortunately, that does me no=20
      good in my case.
      I'm helping a friend with the layout of a book and I find that =
      I'm=20
      stuck with this problem now =85 at the stage where we are preparing
      for=20=

      printing!
      I'm sorry to bother you on this but any ideas would be most =
      welcome.

      Jimmy.
      =97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97
      =97=
      =97

      On Sunday, September 26, 2004, at 08:41 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > I don't know of a list. Versions 2.0 through 3.5e came with many of=20
      > the same macros, some of which were updated as the versions went=20
      > along. The way to harvest them is to copy macros from one library
      file=20=

      > to another. Do you have all previous versions as installers or as
      the=20=

      > installed files? If the former, move your library out to the
      desktop=20=

      > and install the first version you have. Then copy macros from that=20
      > (new) library to the one on your desktop. Delete the install
      including=20=

      > the new library, and repeat with each version. If your archives are
      of=20=

      > installed versions including the library files, copy macros from
      there=20=

      > to the desktop library. When done, move the library from the
      desktop=20=

      > back to System > Preferences > WordPerfect (folder) and you're set.
      >
      > If you'd like to copy the collected macros from the library to a=20
      > document and ask Aron, our list moderator, if he'd be willing to
      post=20=

      > it at ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff, I know we'd all appreciate the=20
      > additional resource.
      >
      > The Document Experts set already at r8ix has a selection of macros,=20
      > but I don't know whether it has the particular ones you're looking > =
      for.

      > John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:22:43 -0400
      From: "Alarik W. Skarstrom" <acies [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Document Experts goodie collection

      John,

      Do you still need Document Experts (tm)?

      Alarik

      >My stuffed copy of this has become corrupted, and the copy I
      >downloaded from ftp.r8ix.com is corrupted too. Does anyone have a
      >good copy? Please send it to me.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:58:57 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Document Experts

      On Oct 3, 2004, at 2:08 PM, majordomo [email address protected]wrote:

      > Do you still need Document Experts (tm)?
      >
      > Alarik

      Hi Alarik - nice to know you're still with us.

      Several people sent me the file - thanks to everyone.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:59:08 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      3.5e and Macro(s)

      On Oct 2, 2004, at 1:27 PM, James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > On a different note: I'm desperate to know how 3.5e handles the=20=
      > setting for odd/even pages. Even as a longtime user of WordPerfect,
      > I=20=
      > can find nowhere to set the binding width of a document. In spite
      of=20
      > the fact that the Help says it's done in Page Setup, there's no
      such=20
      > option there. Choosinging Corel WordPefect 3.5e in the Page Setup
      or=20
      > Print options brings no joy either.=09
      > Mind you, it occurs to me that it might have to do with the
      printer=20
      > I'm using and its driver: it's a HP PhotoSmart 1000. I mention
      this,=20
      > because I find that, if I choose a Laserwriter 8, the binding width=20
      > option is offered in the Page Setup. Unfortunately, that does me no=20
      > good in my case.

      It must be your printer driver. There's a Page Setup macro command that
      lets you specify binding width as well as the other parameters, but I
      don't know whether your printer would respond to it.

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:31:20 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP
      3.5e and Macro(s)

      John:
      Thanks for the reply. I think you're right.

      On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 02:59 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

      > On Oct 2, 2004, at 1:27 PM, James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >> On a different note: I'm desperate to know how 3.5e handles =
      the=3D20=3D
      >> setting for odd/even pages. Even as a longtime user of WordPerfect,
      =20=

      >> I=3D20=3D
      >> can find nowhere to set the binding width of a document. In spite =20
      >> of=3D20
      >> the fact that the Help says it's done in Page Setup, there's no =20
      >> such=3D20
      >> option there. Choosinging Corel WordPefect 3.5e in the Page Setup =20
      >> or=3D20
      >> Print options brings no joy either.=3D09
      >> Mind you, it occurs to me that it might have to do with the =20
      >> printer=3D20
      >> I'm using and its driver: it's a HP PhotoSmart 1000. I mention =20
      >> this,=3D20
      >> because I find that, if I choose a Laserwriter 8, the binding =
      width=3D20
      >> option is offered in the Page Setup. Unfortunately, that does me =
      no=3D20
      >> good in my case.
      >
      > It must be your printer driver. There's a Page Setup macro command =20
      > that lets you specify binding width as well as the other parameters,
      =20=

      > but I don't know whether your printer would respond to it.
      >
      > John R.
      >
      > =
      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:51:53 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re: WP 3.5e
      and Macro(s)

      John -
      Confident you have written the definitive. Such is my experience from
      a lot of work in adapting the LW 16/600 OS 9 driver for OS X prior to
      when Apple began including this driver with OS X. To accent:
      .........from my experience the meow is in the driver instead of WP, but
      do not know this to be an 'Absolute' with all printers and their
      drivers. (Math: One version of WP, MANY printers and even MORE
      drivers - - a factorial beyond reasonable expectations for OS 7
      generation WP.) Again, I express my appreciation to Mendelson and
      direct attention to his superb 'Bible' re WP / OS X which includes an
      excellent compilation of the latest tricks re printing Classic / OS X /
      WP at the end of this long PDF document. He includes the widely
      advocated 'tricks' for direct utilization of OS X printer drivers, a
      concept previously noted on this forum.

      On a different note, Mellel was discussed herein as an alternative OS X
      word processor. For those who have not followed, a new version has
      just been released, a significant enhancement - - fairly priced. Know
      not of others, but I have lapsed into a basic triad of word processors,
      all of which work superbly in OS X, TextEdit, Mellel and WordPerfect
      Mac. My choice is vectored by the complexity of the document; the
      prior polarizing of all or none WP-L postings have become moot. The
      evolution of OS X with integrated functions has also made "Classic"
      almost transparent. MS Word still crashes ..........what else is new,
      thus not on my 'favorites' list. Likewise, each to their own, but I
      view AppleWorks as a real dodo.

      Since the the List includes many writers and academics, i alert you to
      two of the most incredible applications for research and manuscript
      organization I have encountered in my career, DEVONThink PRO and
      DEVONAgent:
      http://www.devon-technologies.com/

      Both are available with advanced versions currently in Beta testing,
      absolutely stable and nearing release. Writing has become FUN once
      again. DT-Pro offers incredible all-in-one / seamless versatility in
      format conversions, file storage, extraordinary search AND!!!
      outlining, embedded links and actual writing of the manuscript relevant
      to the research file. A Table function is about to be released. It
      handles PDF files in concert with OS 10.3.5 with a fluidity which
      creates a new dimension in productivity. MS Word format is losing the
      shine of a 'gold standard' to PDF. Tiger - - look for a release in the
      next few months - - will have an enhanced palate of PDF tools embedded.
      When finishing touches are needed for my first manuscript from DT-Pro
      now in progress, it will probably be moved to WP for the final polish.
      As for DAgent, I was a skeptic and avoided downloading for a 'test
      ride'. How could one possibly improve on the combo of Safari + Google
      + Medline + PubMed?? A note from the guru behind this search program
      elicited my begrudging trial. I will NEVER go back.............

      Regards to all,
      Bill

      P.S. I have not needed the odd/even printing routine for ages. It
      would seem to me that a logical, quick and non-stressful solution would
      be to divide the manuscript into two files, the Odd and the Even pages.
      One could then shift the margin appropriately for each file, printing
      first one then the other on the back side for two sided printing. Am I
      naive??