WP-L-Digest 2004/09/17 #948

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:08:58 -0400
      From: Jon <JWarms [email address protected]Subject: Re: semi-OT:
      multiple page sizes/orientations

      The page size menu seems to be dependent on the printer driver. I have
      an Epson 740 and a page size menu is in the File>Page Setup dialog,
      which is Epson-specific. Page size may not be an option for other
      printers. I'm using Classic (9.2.2) on 10.3.5.

      Jon

      On Aug 14, 2004, at 6:36 PM, Smokey Ardisson wrote:

      > Here's the question...apparently the WPD3 file spec states that
      > documents can have multiple page sizes and orientations in a single
      > document. I'd never heard that, but Help confirms it...there's
      > supposed to be a menu item "File>Custom Page Setup" that does this if
      > WP is running under Sys 7.5 or later. I've used WP 3.1, 3.5.x, and
      > 3.5e on 7.5.x, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0.x and 9.1 and can never remember seeing
      > this option. Has anyone ever seen this menu item or created documents
      > using it?

      ____

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:40:56 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Slightly OT -- Keyboard Heads-Up

      I have been working on a complex 50-page translation since last week,
      burning the midnight oil since Sunday, with the end in sight. And the
      thing
      is due today.

      I noticed the other day I was making a *lot* of typos -- far more than
      usual.

      Then last night the whole document seized up. I could enter some text,
      but
      not all. I couldn't delete. Then I was getting all kinds of other
      weirdness. I would type D and get G... and all kinds of other anomalies.

      I was 100% sure I had file corruption.

      I tried every trick in my book to salvage the work.

      Tried saving as text -- and opening in another word processing app...
      NOTHING worked.

      And then it started happening in every program I have.

      And after an hour of cursing the lightbulb went on:

      Folks... it was the batteries in my cordless Keyboard and Mouse.

      Changed them & I'm back in business.

      Hope this helps someone else...

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:01:02 +0200
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Slightly OT -- Keyboard Heads-Up

      At 7:40 -0400 01/09/04, Matthew Cope wrote:

      >Folks... it was the batteries in my cordless Keyboard and Mouse.

      Just out of curiosity: How long had those batteries lasted? Anyway,
      I'm glad the story had a happy ending.
      --

      Bob

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:08:19 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: Slightly OT -- Keyboard Heads-Up

      On 9/1/04 8:01 AM, "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >> Folks... it was the batteries in my cordless Keyboard and Mouse.
      >
      > Just out of curiosity: How long had those batteries lasted? Anyway,
      > I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

      2-3 months

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 07:34:08 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: OT -- Photoshop Q

      Forgive me for posting this here, but I've asked this in a Mac mailing
      list
      and a Mac Photoshop news group & I haven't had an answer. Maybe
      *someone*
      can help... ?

      +++

      Operating System: OSX 10.3.5

      Canon digital camera

      SanDisk card reader

      +++

      When I put the Flashcard from the camera into the card reader my
      computer launches iPhoto if it isn't already running, or it brings
      iPhoto to the front if it is running.

      Is there a way to get it to change this default app to Photoshop CS?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 06:14:47 -0700
      From: Esther Snowden <esnowden [email address protected]Subject: Re: OT
      -- Photoshop Q

      Hi Matthew,

      I don't have the latest operating system but understand it hasn't
      changed. You can change the application that opens when the computer
      senses a camera or reader connected. The process is controlled and
      set by an application in your Applications folder called "Image
      Capture". Check out apple knowledge base article 61597 to see how to
      change the settings. (Go to the Apple site, Support and search for
      that number.)

      Good luck.

      At 7:34 AM on 9/5/04, Matthew Cope said the following:
      >Forgive me for posting this here, but I've asked this in a Mac mailing
      list
      >and a Mac Photoshop news group & I haven't had an answer. Maybe
      *someone*
      >can help... ?
      >
      >+++
      >
      >Operating System: OSX 10.3.5
      >
      >Canon digital camera
      >
      >SanDisk card reader
      >
      >+++
      >
      >When I put the Flashcard from the camera into the card reader my
      >computer launches iPhoto if it isn't already running, or it brings
      >iPhoto to the front if it is running.
      >
      >Is there a way to get it to change this default app to Photoshop CS?

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:21:55 -0400
      From: Matthew Cope <cope [email address protected]net>
      Subject: Re: OT -- Photoshop Q

      THANK YOU!

      Easy when you know how!

      Best wishes,

      MC

      On 9/5/04 9:14 AM, "Esther Snowden" <esnowden [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > Hi Matthew,
      >
      > I don't have the latest operating system but understand it hasn't
      > changed. You can change the application that opens when the computer
      > senses a camera or reader connected. The process is controlled and
      > set by an application in your Applications folder called "Image
      > Capture". Check out apple knowledge base article 61597 to see how to
      > change the settings. (Go to the Apple site, Support and search for
      > that number.)
      >
      > Good luck.
      >
      > At 7:34 AM on 9/5/04, Matthew Cope said the following:
      >> Forgive me for posting this here, but I've asked this in a Mac
      mailing list
      >> and a Mac Photoshop news group & I haven't had an answer. Maybe
      *someone*
      >> can help... ?
      >>
      >> +++
      >>
      >> Operating System: OSX 10.3.5
      >>
      >> Canon digital camera
      >>
      >> SanDisk card reader
      >>
      >> +++
      >>
      >> When I put the Flashcard from the camera into the card reader my
      >> computer launches iPhoto if it isn't already running, or it brings
      >> iPhoto to the front if it is running.
      >>
      >> Is there a way to get it to change this default app to Photoshop CS?

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:23:07 -0600
      From: Paul M <malin [email address protected]Subject: Re: OT --
      Photoshop Q

      For a more general solution, pick up a copy of RCDefaultApp. It is
      freeware, a preference pane item that lets you assign any file
      extension or file type to be handled by any application, among other
      tricks. MacUpdate has it; I'm sure VersionTracker does too.

      Paul M.
      --
      We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are
      here for I don't know. -- Wystan Hugh Auden

      On Sep 5, 2004, at 7:21 AM, Matthew Cope wrote:

      > THANK YOU!
      >
      > Easy when you know how!
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > MC
      >
      > On 9/5/04 9:14 AM, "Esther Snowden" <esnowden [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >> Hi Matthew,
      >>
      >> I don't have the latest operating system but understand it hasn't
      >> changed. You can change the application that opens when the computer
      >> senses a camera or reader connected. The process is controlled and
      >> set by an application in your Applications folder called "Image
      >> Capture". Check out apple knowledge base article 61597 to see how to
      >> change the settings. (Go to the Apple site, Support and search for
      >> that number.)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:41:23 -0500
      From: Luke <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re: OT --
      Photoshop Q

      RC Default combined with More Internet and --> Paranoid Android is a
      nice security combination which exceeds that included with 10.3.5

      Paranoid Android alerts with each and every suspicious "file prefix"
      (examples: file:// aim:// )

      Using RC Default and More Internet, I disabled some of these prefixes.

      On Sep 6, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Paul M wrote:

      > For a more general solution, pick up a copy of RCDefaultApp. It is
      > freeware, a preference pane item that lets you assign any file
      > extension or file type to be handled by any application, among other
      > tricks. MacUpdate has it; I'm sure VersionTracker does too.
      >
      > Paul M.
      > --
      > We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are
      > here for I don't know. -- Wystan Hugh Auden
      >
      > On Sep 5, 2004, at 7:21 AM, Matthew Cope wrote:
      >
      >> THANK YOU!
      >>
      >> Easy when you know how!
      >>
      >> Best wishes,
      >>
      >> MC
      >>
      >> On 9/5/04 9:14 AM, "Esther Snowden" <esnowden [email address
      protected]wrote:

      >>> Hi Matthew,
      >>>
      >>> I don't have the latest operating system but understand it hasn't
      >>> changed. You can change the application that opens when the
      computer
      >>> senses a camera or reader connected. The process is controlled and
      >>> set by an application in your Applications folder called "Image
      >>> Capture". Check out apple knowledge base article 61597 to see how
      >>> change the settings. (Go to the Apple site, Support and search for
      >>> that number.)

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:19:46 -0500
      From: Cydne Chartier <cydchalice [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      OT -- Photoshop Q

      Okay, I give up. I've downloaded (twice, in case the first one was
      incomplete) the Paranoid Android dealie. In the Resourses/APE folder
      is an APEInfo text file that says..."To install, double-click the
      Paranoid Android installer and follow the on-screen instructions."
      There IS no Installer that I can find in any of the folders. Help? I
      got RC Default and More Internet installed with no problems but I'm
      lost on this one.

      Thanks for any help,
      Cydne

      On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 01:41 PM, Luke wrote:

      > RC Default combined with More Internet and --> Paranoid Android is a
      > nice security combination which exceeds that included with 10.3.5
      >
      > Paranoid Android alerts with each and every suspicious "file prefix"
      > (examples: file:// aim:// )
      >
      > Using RC Default and More Internet, I disabled some of these prefixes.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:40:50 -0500
      From: Luke <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re: OT --
      Photoshop Q

      You downloaded from here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15011

      You get a file "pa-12.dmg" in your download folder. Double-click on
      this.

      In your "COMPUTER" section of the Finder (not the Home, but above
      that), you will find a white and purple disk square (a hard disk icon).
      Open that and you will find "Paranoid Android Installer."

      Paranoid Android is said by some to be excessive. On the other hand,
      it works perfectly for me, and I don't find it excessive.

      On Sep 6, 2004, at 3:19 PM, Cydne Chartier wrote:

      > Okay, I give up. I've downloaded (twice, in case the first one was
      > incomplete) the Paranoid Android dealie. In the Resourses/APE folder
      > is an APEInfo text file that says..."To install, double-click the
      > Paranoid Android installer and follow the on-screen instructions."
      > There IS no Installer that I can find in any of the folders. Help? I
      > got RC Default and More Internet installed with no problems but I'm
      > lost on this one.
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      > Cydne
      >

      > On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 01:41 PM, Luke wrote:
      >
      >> RC Default combined with More Internet and --> Paranoid Android is a
      >> nice security combination which exceeds that included with 10.3.5
      >>
      >> Paranoid Android alerts with each and every suspicious "file prefix"
      >> (examples: file:// aim:// )
      >>
      >> Using RC Default and More Internet, I disabled some of these
      prefixes.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:01:17 -0500
      From: Cydne Chartier <cydchalice [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      OT -- Photoshop Q

      Thanks, Luke. I downloaded from a different place and apparently got
      the source code?
      Downloaded from your link and it installed nicely.

      Thanks again,
      Cydne

      On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 03:40 PM, Luke wrote:

      > You downloaded from here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15011
      >
      > You get a file "pa-12.dmg" in your download folder. Double-click on
      > this.
      >
      > In your "COMPUTER" section of the Finder (not the Home, but above
      > that), you will find a white and purple disk square (a hard disk
      > icon). Open that and you will find "Paranoid Android Installer."
      >
      > Paranoid Android is said by some to be excessive. On the other hand,
      > it works perfectly for me, and I don't find it excessive.
      >
      > On Sep 6, 2004, at 3:19 PM, Cydne Chartier wrote:
      >
      >> Okay, I give up. I've downloaded (twice, in case the first one was
      >> incomplete) the Paranoid Android dealie. In the Resourses/APE folder
      >> is an APEInfo text file that says..."To install, double-click the
      >> Paranoid Android installer and follow the on-screen instructions."
      >> There IS no Installer that I can find in any of the folders. Help?
      >> got RC Default and More Internet installed with no problems but I'm
      >> lost on this one.
      >>
      >> Thanks for any help,
      >> Cydne
      >>

      >> On Monday, September 6, 2004, at 01:41 PM, Luke wrote:
      >>
      >>> RC Default combined with More Internet and --> Paranoid Android is
      >>> nice security combination which exceeds that included with 10.3.5
      >>>
      >>> Paranoid Android alerts with each and every suspicious "file prefix"
      >>> (examples: file:// aim:// )
      >>>
      >>> Using RC Default and More Internet, I disabled some of these
      >>> prefixes.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:08:52 -0400
      From: "Thomas R. Martin" <trm [email address protected]Subject:
      Download Address

      Can anyone tell me what the address is to download WP Mac?

      --
      Thomas R. Martin
      T.R. Martin & Associates, inc.
      Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:15:49 -0500
      From: Andrew Starr <atstarr [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Download Address

      At 11:08 AM 9/17/2004, you wrote:
      >Can anyone tell me what the address is to download WP Mac?

      see http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html#wordperfect

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:15:12 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Download Address

      Thomas:
      You'll find it at: < http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/corel/wpmac.html =

      Good luck!

      Jimmy.
      =97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97
      =97=
      =97=97=97=97=97=97=97

      protected]______________________________________________________________
      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:40:22 -0700
      From: James ARTHURS <jarthurs [email address protected]Subject: WP 3.5e
      and Macro(s)

      In an earlier version of WordPerfect, installation included a number
      of macros, among them DropCap (the enlarged and dropped upper
      case character at the start of a =97 usually opening =97 paragraph) as
      well as the Movie (I believe that was the name: the sample version
      had the word "WordPerfect" spinning horizontally).

      In 3.5e, there are 8 macros but nowhere the two mentioned above,
      even though I had installed them successfully some years before.
      It's clear the most recent installation eradicates all the pre-installed
      macros in favour of its own restricted set.

      Not only do I consider that a dumb move but I'd also like the others
      =97 all of them, in fact =97 back in place. So, I have three questions I
      want to put before you:
      1. Where can I (if at all possible) find a list of missing =
      macros?
      2. Where can I find them, i.e. in which earlier versions of =
      WP? I
      believe I still have all the versions to hand.
      3. How can I (if at all possible) "harvest" them where they =
      are
      to be found and then incorporate them all into 3.5e, =
      which is
      my currently installed version.
      =97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97

      On a different topic:
      I'd like to slow down the scrolling in 3.5e. I know that, for
      versions=20=

      in
      use with Mac OX 8.6-9x, there exists a fix for this phenomenon. Is
      there a comparable remedy available for Classic in OS X? [Note: I
      don't think I've made use of the patch for 3.5e. Should I? Might it be
      helpful with the scrolling problem?]
      =97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97=97

      Finally: Try as I may, I just can't get the "odd-even pages" setting to
      take effect. I believe I've set it correctly, yet all I get is the
      same=20=

      'odd'
      page all the time. I'm preparing a friend's book for printing and
      this=20=

      is
      driving me nuts!
      Help!