WP-L-Digest 2004/08/18 #947

  • jrethorst@post.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004
      Message Number: 1
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:49:53 -0400
      From: lesher [email address protected]Subject: Re: Save FrameMaker!

      >If you want Adobe to develop and release a version of FrameMaker
      >for Mac OS X, please sign the online petition located at:
      >
      ><http://www.PetitionOnline.com/fmforosx/petition.html>.
      >
      >Please forward this message to all FrameMaker users you know.
      >
      >Thank you for your support!

      Alas, I think Framemaker is DOA regardless of platform. Adobe has
      shifted
      its attention to In-Design. In-Design is far different in capability but
      seems to be all they want to sell.

      I looked into Framemaker a year+ ago, as it's the sole commercial
      product
      that even pretends to do footnotes. But it's expensive, really complex
      learn, and has a long-time unfixed footnote bug.

      For our purposes, I'm moving into LaTeX. We need the bottom 1% of its
      features, but in that it does footnotes the way we need. It runs on
      everything bigger than a Sinclair ZX80; and it has a LARGE user support
      community.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 2
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:36:49 -0400
      From: John Kaufmann <kaufmann [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Eudora and Applescript (was: "Type Var" macro command)

      At 040625 19:10 -0700, John Rethorst wrote:

      >>So I tried both "name of mailbox" and "name of window"
      >>- both to no avail.
      >
      >name of window 1
      >
      >name of mailbox 1

      THANKS, John! - you do not disappoint.

      >> I konw I'm abusing your time and this list (which is for WP, not
      >>Eudora) but you wouldn't happen to know why that is, would you?
      >
      >Kevin, how much do you think we should charge for this?

      :) !

      A pint? Meanwhile, thanks for amazingly fast and on-point responses.

      - John K

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 3
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:35:48 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: Save
      FrameMaker!

      lesher [email address protected]said:

      >I looked into Framemaker a year+ ago, as it's the sole commercial
      product
      >that even pretends to do footnotes

      Microsoft Word does footnotes beautifully for me. And I make quite
      extensive use of them in my legal pleadings.

      I don't use FrameMaker myself, but I've heard from a bunch of Mac-users
      who don't feel that they can do without it.

      >Alas, I think Framemaker is DOA regardless of platform.

      http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/main.html

      The product was just updated for Windows last January.

      What have you seen that would lead you to believe that Adobe intends to
      discontinue development and/or sale of the Windows version of
      FrameMaker?

      >Adobe has shifted its attention to In-Design.

      Adobe is a big company. They have enough resources to concurently
      develop and support a bunch of products.

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 4
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:47:31 -0700
      From: "J'Michael" <browning [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Eudora and Applescript (was: "Type Var" macro command)

      Am I the only one to receive 55 copies of this post?

      >>So I tried both "name of mailbox" and "name of window"
      >>- both to no avail.
      >
      >name of window 1
      >
      >name of mailbox 1
      >
      >> I konw I'm abusing your time and this list
      >>(which is for WP, not Eudora) but you wouldn't happen to know why
      >>that is, would you?
      >
      >Kevin, how much do you think we should charge for this?
      >
      >John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 5
      Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:47:42 +0200
      From: "Robert J. Widenmann" <maribob [email address protected]Subject:
      Re: Eudora and Applescript (was: "Type Var" macro command)

      There's an excellent Eudora newsgroup: comp.mail.eudora.mac, where
      you should be able to find a solution to your problem.

      Bob

      >>So I tried both "name of mailbox" and "name of window"
      >>- both to no avail.
      >
      >name of window 1
      >
      >name of mailbox 1
      >
      >> I konw I'm abusing your time and this list
      >>(which is for WP, not Eudora) but you wouldn't happen to know why
      >>that is, would you?
      >
      >Kevin, how much do you think we should charge for this?
      >
      >John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 6
      Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:13:24 -0700
      From: Randy B. Singer <randy [email address protected]Subject: Re: Save
      FrameMaker!

      lesher [email address protected]said:

      >I looked into Framemaker a year+ ago, as it's the sole commercial
      product
      >that even pretends to do footnotes

      Microsoft Word does footnotes beautifully for me. And I make quite
      extensive use of them in my legal pleadings.

      I don't use FrameMaker myself, but I've heard from a bunch of Mac-users
      who don't feel that they can do without it.

      >Alas, I think Framemaker is DOA regardless of platform.

      http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/main.html

      The product was just updated for Windows last January.

      What have you seen that would lead you to believe that Adobe intends to
      discontinue development and/or sale of the Windows version of
      FrameMaker?

      >Adobe has shifted its attention to In-Design.

      Adobe is a big company. They have enough resources to concurently
      develop and support a bunch of products.

      Randy B. Singer

      How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
      http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 7
      Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:45:29 -0400
      From: "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson [email address protected]Subject:
      Automatic font change macro posted

      Regular readers of these messages may remember a discussion of a macro
      that
      would automatically replace fonts like Geneva and New York with
      Helvetica
      and Times when a document is opened in WP. John Rethorst and Kevin McCoy
      combined their talents to put together a very effective and easily
      customizable macro which is now posted in a Stuffit archive here:

      http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#fontmacro

      I've inserted the macro into a WP document which contains instructions
      for
      installing the macro. Don't blame John or Kevin for the instructions,
      and if
      you find any inaccuracies, problems, etc. in the instructions, please
      let me
      know and I'll correct them.

      Edward Mendelson

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 8
      Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:50:29 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: More
      on font change

      > My wife has gotten fed up with the printing problem that we get when a
      > Geneva character is made bold. She has many old WP documents that she
      > revisits, almost all in Geneva. Meanwhile I'll change the default font
      > for new documents to Arial.

      Steve, the way I'd do this is have an Applescript find every WP doc on
      your
      disk or in a folder and then have it tell WP to run the font change
      macro.
      The following Applescript asks you for the name of a macro, and in which
      disk or folder (including subfolders) to look for WP files, and then
      runs
      the macro on all the files.

      To use it, copy it here and paste it into Script Editor, a small program
      that comes with your Mac. Save it: in the Save dialog, set the Kind
      popup
      to Application. Below that popup, Stay Open should not be checked, and
      Never Show Startup Screen should be checked.

      John R.

      property macro_name : ""

      set macro_name to text returned of (display dialog ¨
      "Enter name of WP macro to run:" default answer ¨
      macro_name with icon note)

      set theFolder to choose folder with prompt ¨
      "Choose a folder or disk with WP files."

      tell application "Finder" to set wpFileList to ¨
      (every file in entire contents of theFolder ¨
      whose creator type is "WPC2") as alias list

      tell application "WordPerfect" to activate

      repeat with i in wpFileList
      set i to (i as string) as alias
      tell application "WordPerfect"
      open i
      Do Script macro_name
      close document 1 saving yes
      end tell
      end repeat

      beep
      tell me
      activate
      display dialog ("I ran "" & macro_name & ¨
      "" on " & (count wpFileList) as string) & ¨
      " WP files in "" & (theFolder as string) & ¨
      ""." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon note
      end tell

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 9
      Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:09:29 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      More on font change

      BTW to run this Applescript on files only at the root level of a folder
      or
      disk, without including subfolders, delete the words "entire contents
      of"
      in line 4, leaving:

      tell application "Finder" to set wpFileList to ¨
      (every file in theFolder ¨
      whose creator type is "WPC2") as alias list

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 10
      Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:10:29 -0700
      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Applescript to run a macro on a folder

      Well, the reason this wouldn't compile for anyone was that email changed
      some smart quotes to dumb quotes. Please change the last chunk of the
      script to:

      beep
      tell me
      activate
      display dialog ("I ran \"" & macro_name & ¨
      "\" on " & (count wpFileList) as string) & ¨
      " WP files in \"" & (theFolder as string) & ¨
      "\"." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon note
      end tell

      John R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 11
      Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
      From: dw861 [email address protected]CA (David Brownstein)
      Subject: creating invisible text

      I hope that somebody can remind me how to include "invisible" text in a
      wordperfect document so that it shows up on the screen within the
      document, but does not print. My manual has not been very helpful, but
      seem to remember such a function from DOS WordPerfect 4.2 (I realize
      that
      this was several geological ages ago). I am using WordPerfect 3.1 on a
      G3, running OS 9.2.2.

      many thanks,
      david

      www.brownstein.ca

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 12
      Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:35:12 +0100
      From: Geoff Gilbert <geoff [email address protected]uk>
      Subject: Re: creating invisible text

      Dear David

      I don't know if WP for the Mac can do that, but there was a Macro
      that came with 3.5 called notes that allowed you to insert notes to
      yourself that you could then choose to print or not. I set it up to
      look like yellow stickies I'd put on the file.

      Geoff

      >I hope that somebody can remind me how to include "invisible" text in a
      >wordperfect document so that it shows up on the screen within the
      >document, but does not print. My manual has not been very helpful,
      but I
      >seem to remember such a function from DOS WordPerfect 4.2 (I realize
      that
      >this was several geological ages ago). I am using WordPerfect 3.1 on a
      >G3, running OS 9.2.2.
      >
      >many thanks,
      >david
      >
      >www.brownstein.ca

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 13
      Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:14:05 EDT
      From: RBRoufberg2 [email address protected]Subject: Installing WP in
      new laptop

      I have the last free update of WP on my desktop computer (Power PC
      8500, OS
      9.1). I have now bought a PowerBook 4300 and wonder which is the best
      way to
      install WP on that:

      1) From the free download provided by Corel?
      2) By copying the entire WP folder from the desktop computer to the
      laptop
      via ZIP disk?
      The latter would save me the trouble of setting preferences and styles,
      but
      might the two-stage transfer cause some corruption of data?

      Thanks for any recommendations,
      Ruth R.

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 14
      Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:36:36 -0400
      From: Smokey Ardisson <alqahira [email address protected]Subject:
      semi-OT: multiple page sizes/orientations

      Apologies for the semi-OT nature of this question....please respond
      off-list, or if you feel it's relevant for the list, at least cc: me
      since I'm on digest and one never knows when the digest will
      eventually be created :-)

      I've been working with the folks responsible for libwpd, the free
      library that is the basis for WordPerfect conversions in
      OpenOffice.org and AbiWord*, in getting support for WP-Mac documents
      added (WPD3/3.0-3.5.x docs first, then WPD4/3.5e docs). Since I'm
      not a programmer, this has consisted mostly of some occasional gentle
      prodding, supplying documents, answering questions to the best of my
      ability, and testing :-) Suddenly our document format is not so dead
      and closed anymore!

      Here's the question...apparently the WPD3 file spec states that
      documents can have multiple page sizes and orientations in a single
      document. I'd never heard that, but Help confirms it...there's
      supposed to be a menu item "File>Custom Page Setup" that does this if
      WP is running under Sys 7.5 or later. I've used WP 3.1, 3.5.x, and
      3.5e on 7.5.x, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0.x and 9.1 and can never remember seeing
      this option. Has anyone ever seen this menu item or created
      documents using it?

      Also, Kevin the WP-Mac programmer, if you see this and might be
      willing to answer a few questions now and then, I know the libwpd
      programmers would be most appreciative.

      Thanks,
      Smokey

      * Note the conversions do not yet appear in the Mac versions of these
      products--not enough Mac programmers--although the stand-alone,
      command-line WP-OOo converter does work on the Mac. Conversion of PC
      WP6-> documents is very good and conversion of WPD3 docs is off to a
      good start.

      P.S. Thanks to whomever posted the very nice pen-and-globe Mac OS X
      icon; I've finally applied it to WP and it looks great!
      --
      Smokey Ardisson
      Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 15
      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:53:35 -0500
      From: Luke F. Kittell <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Installing WP in new laptop

      You can always switch from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1.

      The preferences and library are in the System Folder / Preferences /
      Wordperfect folder.

      So you can copy the folder from the 8500 to a backup location on the
      4300.

      Also install WP, make a copy of the default preferences folder, or
      merely move it a backup location.

      Then copy your 8500 folder to the Preferences folder .

      If you feel there is some corruption, you can choose from either the
      original default or your backup folder.

      Cheers

      On Aug 12, 2004, at 9:14 PM, RBRoufberg2 [email address protected]wrote:

      > I have the last free update of WP on my desktop computer (Power PC
      > 8500, OS
      > 9.1). I have now bought a PowerBook 4300 and wonder which is the best
      > way to
      > install WP on that:
      >
      > 1) From the free download provided by Corel?
      > 2) By copying the entire WP folder from the desktop computer to the
      > laptop
      > via ZIP disk?
      > The latter would save me the trouble of setting preferences and
      > styles, but
      > might the two-stage transfer cause some corruption of data?
      >
      > Thanks for any recommendations,
      > Ruth R.

      > <http://www.r8ix.com/lists.html>. Thanks!

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 16
      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:53:39 -0500
      From: Luke F. Kittell <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      semi-OT: multiple page sizes/orientations

      I've never seen such a thing. Perhaps the README file had a future
      feature included in it.

      Or the feature exists but only if you know some secret programmers'
      command to activate it.

      Cheers, Luke

      On Aug 14, 2004, at 6:36 PM, Smokey Ardisson wrote:

      > Apologies for the semi-OT nature of this question....please respond
      > off-list, or if you feel it's relevant for the list, at least cc: me
      > since I'm on digest and one never knows when the digest will
      > eventually be created :-)

      ------------------------------

      Message Number: 17
      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:54:42 -0400
      From: whunter <whunterjr [email address protected]Subject: Re:
      Installing WP in new laptop

      Do as you suggested:
      On Aug 12, 2004, at 10:14 PM, RBRoufberg2 [email address
      protected]wrote:

      > 2) By copying the entire WP folder from the desktop computer to the
      > laptop
      > via ZIP disk?
      > The latter would save me the trouble of setting preferences and
      > styles, but
      > might the two-stage transfer cause some corruption of data?

      With the Catch-22: any corruption, virus, etc. will go with it. OTOH,
      you can always re-install WP-Mac from the available resources AND
      everybody should have an anti-viral program installed.

      Finally, a general note. Firewire transfer is the Cat's Meow. Have
      been using between my Firewire equipped G4 733 and a G4 PB for routine
      synchronization. Firewire is so fast, easy and effective I am amazed
      every time I use.
      Regards,
      Bill Hunter

      Message Number: 18
      Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:40:16 -0500
      From: Luke <treehouse1 [email address protected]Subject: Re: semi-OT:
      multiple page sizes/orientations

      I scanned over the available keyboard commands in the Preferences /
      Keyboard area. None of them mentioned multiple page sizes.

      WordPerfect does have multiple margin settings, paragraphs settings,
      which you probably already know.